Non-Drop or Drop Frame? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #1
New Boot

Non-Drop or Drop Frame?

Going to film my short this weekend. Canon Canada generously lent me a 5D body until I find out why my camera has the image stutter.

I'm recording audio to a separate 744 multi-track. Does anyone know for sure if the 5D records 30P, non-drop frame?

t
Tony Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Hi Tony, your camera doesn't record 'timecode' - in other words, your problem is a non-issue. If you run a 744, as a general rule, don't select drop frame except for (very) specific situations. You'll have to sync via slate ( clapper board ).
Karl Lohninger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Inner Circle

29.97 can be drop frame or non-drop frame. The Canon shoots exactly 30p, so there are no frames to drop. (But it is not 29.97 non-drop frame; it's 30.00 fps.)
Old February 7th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little (o.k. a lot) confused. So should I tell my audio guy to record non-drop on his 744? We'll be shooting the slate with time code and clapping for sync.

t
Tony Wu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Wu View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm a little (o.k. a lot) confused. So should I tell my audio guy to record non-drop on his 744? We'll be shooting the slate with time code and clapping for sync.

t
If the 744 supports 30.00 (and I'm not talking about 29.97), have him use that. Otherwise, use 29.97 drop frame. That will keep your "seconds" field accurate and won't cause drift.

If the menus only offer 30 drop and 30 non-drop, then by 30, they mean 29.97. Again, use drop-frame, if that's the situation.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD