DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Hoodman (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/143297-hoodman.html)

Steve Cahill February 7th, 2009 02:58 PM

Hoodman

2 Attachment(s)
Today I attempted to attach the Hoodman loupe to the 5D. Gaffer tape only sticks to the inside of it, so I made a hinge tape which then gets taped to the bottom of the camera. A elastic band then gets attached around the top and wrapped around a bubble level that is inserted into the hotshoe. I added another elastic band at the bottom, that wraps around a "Really Right Stuff" clamp. It holds good. Maybe the tape hinge will no longer be needed. This method keeps tape off the camera body.

I also glued some felt-fabric on the bottom edge of the Hoodman so it would help in preventing sunlight from seeping in, but it slides around more. A neoprene type material would be a better choice to glue on instead, so it does not slide as much as the fabric.

I now see why Dan Chung used another eye cup by using a substitute. I attached his picture lower right. The present one is very uncomfortable to hold against your eye as it is a hard rubber eyepiece. A softer addition would be welcome. Got to find one. The perfect solution would be a Velcro attachment to the Hoodman to the LCD.

Any other ideas? I hope the elastic bands sparks some other inventions, safety glasses are now required!

Steve Cahill February 7th, 2009 06:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like Hoodman now has a strap @ Cinema Strap-Hoodman Corporation

Dan Chung February 7th, 2009 07:45 PM

Steve,

Basically what I did was take an LCD screenshade like this one LCD Screen Hood Pop-Up Shade Cover for CANON EOS 40D on eBay, also, LCD Hoods Screens, Digital Camera Accessories, Photography (end time 20-Feb-09 09:43:15 GMT) took the pop up bits off and just used the frame part.

It fits the 40D so I had to cut off the eyepiece mount from the frame and reglue it about 5mm to one side using a 2 part epoxy glue for plastics. Hopefully a 5dmkII version will be out soon so people won't have to bother with this part. I then glued the Hoodloupe 3.0 to this frame. I then added a Sony broadcast eyepiece from an old camera I had, I have seen these new elsewhere. It is just rubber and held on with tape, I made a couple of small holes with a hot needle in this and the hoodman rubber eyepiece to stop it fogging up. No extra diopter was required for the rig. As a finishing touch I now also added an I-cuff i-cuff Purchase to the rig for even better viewing.

Hope that helps

Dan

Steve S. Kim February 25th, 2009 06:56 PM

Hi dan which model eye-cuff did you end up going with? Did you replace the sony eyepiece with the eye-cuff or are you using the two in tandem?

THanks

Dan Chung February 25th, 2009 11:14 PM

Hi,

I use the two in tandem. I have the i-cuff HD but the others may fit too, haven't tested.

Hope that helps

Dan