Nikon Lens Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 10th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Nikon Lens Question

Ok I have an adapter and a Nikon lens with the aperture ring. All works well, but the camera still wants to make adjustments when I move the camera around. Like pointing towards a window and the picture goes dark. Is the camera adjusting something other than aperture? What am I missing? I feel there is something obvious going on here that needs to be set up. Please help.

Bruce Cleveland
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Bruce,

The key is to press the AE Lock button. It will lock your exposure.

I recommend this (from memory - I hope I haven't left anything off)

* Use the Video + Stills mode (under the Live View menu)
* Enter Live View
* Press the shutter button part way. You want to see the exposure compensation (-2..|..+2) adjustment on the screen. Press "Info" a few times, if needed.
* Dial the wheel so that exposure compensation is at -2.
* Shine the camera at a light, as soon as it gets to 1/40 shutter, press AE lock.
* Point the camera at your subject and increase the exposure compensation at needed. The ISO (gain) should increase, and the shutter speed should stay the same.
* Start recording!

You'll need to do most of this for every single take. Hopefully, Canon will upgrade the firmware to allow a better user experience.
Old February 10th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Hi Bruce,

The key is to press the AE Lock button. It will lock your exposure.

I recommend this (from memory - I hope I haven't left anything off)

* Use the Video + Stills mode (under the Live View menu)
* Enter Live View
* Press the shutter button part way. You want to see the exposure compensation (-2..|..+2) adjustment on the screen. Press "Info" a few times, if needed.
* Dial the wheel so that exposure compensation is at -2.
* Shine the camera at a light, as soon as it gets to 1/40 shutter, press AE lock.
* Point the camera at your subject and increase the exposure compensation at needed. The ISO (gain) should increase, and the shutter speed should stay the same.
* Start recording!

You'll need to do most of this for every single take. Hopefully, Canon will upgrade the firmware to allow a better user experience.
But I did not think I needed to do all of this with a Nikon lens on the camera. The settings you suggest are pretty much what I use for the canon lenses.

Thanks for the imput.

Bruce
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland View Post
But I did not think I needed to do all of this with a Nikon lens on the camera.
The only difference with a Nikon lens is that you can set it to any aperture, independent of all other settings. We still need to jump through these hoops - over and over and over again...
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The only difference with a Nikon lens is that you can set it to any aperture, independent of all other settings. We still need to jump through these hoops - over and over and over again...

Ok got it. Thanks for clearing it up. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

Bruce
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

So as soon as you stop recording, everything resets? Or can you start/stop with all of it locked, only needing to go through all those steps again if you want to CHANGE one of the settings?
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Koo View Post
So as soon as you stop recording, everything resets? Or can you start/stop with all of it locked, only needing to go through all those steps again if you want to CHANGE one of the settings?
Nope everytime you stop recording and start you have to do it all over again. But it is much easier with the nikon lenses.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD