DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Banding in video at iso 3200? argghh (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/143505-banding-video-iso-3200-argghh.html)

Yang Wen February 10th, 2009 06:13 PM

Banding in video at iso 3200? argghh

Try this with your 5D2.. force it go to into ISO 3200 and aim it at a relatively dark surface, zoom in to 10x and do you see horizontal banding moving in a vertical direction? I've tried this in tungsten lighting indoors and sodium lighting outdoors so I don't believe it is a lighting flicker issue..

Toenis Liivamaegi February 11th, 2009 12:12 PM

Yes, the high ISO capabilities are quite pointless with other than RAW photographs.

Mike Hannon February 11th, 2009 03:25 PM

I wonder if upgrading to firmware version 1.07 would help this issue? Part of that update was a fix for banding in sRAW format.

Yang Wen February 11th, 2009 05:25 PM

Have you guys confirmed this to be true on your 5D2s? Or are you just commenting?

Also keep in mind that I was able to see the banding at 10x zoom. With about 5-6 bands on the screen at any given instant, so we're talking about very high frequency banding.

I tired it again later last night and I wasn't able to observe the same banding.

I'm still on 1.0.6... Will not upgrade to 1.0.7 due to the magenta color cast issue.

Toenis Liivamaegi February 12th, 2009 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1010519)
Have you guys confirmed this to be true on your 5D2s? Or are you just commenting?

I've seen this first hand on my 5D MKII. Also the JPG previews exhibit the same high noise issues but noise removal in RAW conversion software elliminates it.
Someone said that the sensor needs to burn in but I don't believe that.

I'm on the 1.07 firmware. What is the magenta color cast issue you talk about?

T

Yang Wen February 12th, 2009 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi (Post 1010775)
I've seen this first hand on my 5D MKII. Also the JPG previews exhibit the same high noise issues but noise removal in RAW conversion software elliminates it.
Someone said that the sensor needs to burn in but I don't believe that.

I'm on the 1.07 firmware. What is the magenta color cast issue you talk about?

T

magenta only occurs in sRAW mode.

Bill Binder February 12th, 2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1010881)
magenta only occurs in sRAW mode.

And if I understand this correctly was really an issue in 3rd party software only, and in the case of Lightroom, has already been addressed. There really isn't an issue there is there?

Yang Wen February 12th, 2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Binder (Post 1010924)
And if I understand this correctly was really an issue in 3rd party software only, and in the case of Lightroom, has already been addressed. There really isn't an issue there is there?

Canon DPP was modified along with v1.0.7 However, there is a severe bug in it that causes very long loading time of each sRAW image in the DPP software.

Daniel Browning February 13th, 2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1009958)
do you see horizontal banding moving in a vertical direction?

Yes. Horizontal, too.