DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   File transferring/reading problems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/143579-file-transferring-reading-problems.html)

Ozan Biron February 11th, 2009 11:56 PM

File transferring/reading problems

OK, may day may day!

Ive been starting to notice that during reading or transferring video clips/photos from the CF card that sometimes im not able to read the information properly. I cant even dump the files without it freeze during the process. Some video clips will make it across without any problems. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't!

Im able to preview the video clips and the photos within the camera without any problems. Its jst during the file transferring/reading from the CF card the process will stop and freeze.

When i connect my MARK II via USB to my computer. I will hear the connection notification sound in windows XP. The camera pops up on my system as "Caon EOS 5D Mark II." I can then navigate threw the files that are listed in the CF card in windows explore. However, as soon as i drag my video files it will start to transfer smoothly and at a random point it will hang. It also appears the Camera transfering indicator stops blinking.

Even with photos during previewing form the CF card from computer.... I get "generating preview" and then nothing happens. If i turn the camera on and off again it will seem to work at one point then freeze again on another different file.

Im using this PNY 4gig CF card @ 266x.

Jon Fairhurst February 12th, 2009 12:53 AM

I'd recommend a separate card reader. They cost about $20.

Ozan Biron February 12th, 2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1010658)
I'd recommend a separate card reader. They cost about $20.

ive jst noticed somthing.. Like i said... some video clips transfer without any problems and others dont. It seems that the ones that give me the problems are the ones that are over 500mb. Anything under 500mb transfer without a hitch.

As a test i record 3 video clips. One at 890mb, 450mb and 175mb. During the transferring process the 2 smaller files went threw without a problem. As soon as it started on the 890mb it froze.

What does the CF reader that the camera cant? Whats the advantage? Isnt it the same USB connection?

Thane Brooker February 19th, 2009 09:42 PM

I've noticed this as well. When using the Camera as a USB storage device and simply copying the files using Windows explorer, the camera will hang on certain sized movie files. I need to turn off the camera and remove the battery from the camera to reset everything. Simply turning on and off the camera does not help.

When I use the EOS transfer utility, transfers work flawlessly.

I'm putting this down to an incompatibility bug between Vista and Canon, and would probably expect to see a fix in some later Canon firmware, or a Windows Update from Microsoft. Or maybe it's my anti-virus software playing up, or the USB drivers from Intel. Who knows, I've been in I.T. too long to know to worry about things like this! But it helps to know other people are experiencing the same.

Which Operating System are you using, and does this happen for you using the EOS utility?

Ozan Biron February 19th, 2009 09:48 PM

im running XP. Im not using the EOS utility... tranferring directly from Windows explorer by drag and drop.

I bought a $10 dollar CF card loader. Seems to have fixed the issue. Techically I shouldnt have to buy anything. Should work directly form the camera. eh!

oz

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thane Brooker (Post 1014859)
I've noticed this as well. When using the Camera as a USB storage device and simply copying the files using Windows explorer, the camera will hang on certain sized movie files. I need to turn off the camera and remove the battery from the camera to reset everything. Simply turning on and off the camera does not help.

When I use the EOS transfer utility, transfers work flawlessly.

I'm putting this down to an incompatibility bug between Vista and Canon, and would probably expect to see a fix in some later Canon firmware, or a Windows Update from Microsoft. Or maybe it's my anti-virus software playing up, or the USB drivers from Intel. Who knows, I've been in I.T. too long to know to worry about things like this! But it helps to know other people are experiencing the same.

Which Operating System are you using, and does this happen for you using the EOS utility?

Thane Brooker February 19th, 2009 10:27 PM

If you're using high-speed flash cards, you may see a big drop in copy performance using a cheap $10/$20 CF reader over the USB-attached-camera or an expensive UDMA high-speed CF reader reader.

Ozan Biron February 19th, 2009 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thane Brooker (Post 1014883)
If you're using high-speed flash cards, you may see a big drop in copy performance using a cheap $10/$20 CF reader over the USB-attached-camera or an expensive UDMA high-speed CF reader reader.

hmmm, for some reason it seems faster. All i know is that i can transfer those huge files without a hitch. How much is a "high-speed" CF reader go for? 50 bones?

Thane Brooker February 19th, 2009 10:49 PM

Hmmm, prices have come down by about 50% since last I looked. Lexar's web site is quoting $49 for their UDMA card. I'm sure it was near double that before Christmas. Might be time to invest in one.

Personally I prefer to work with a dedicated card reader but have been avoiding buying one because I didn't want a non-UDMA one, and the UDMA ones were too expensive. I hate connecting the camera each time I want to copy files; using the fiddly mini USB plug and rubber cover arrangement is annoying, whereas opening the CF hatch and ejecting the CF card has a nice positive clunking feel.

Daniel Browning February 19th, 2009 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozan Biron (Post 1014889)
How much is a "high-speed" CF reader go for?

You can get a Chinese knock off for under $10.

I've never had any corrupted files with the cheap-o card readers, but I've heard horror stories from other folks, so I prefer to use something with quality and reliable manufacture. To me, that means the Lexar Firewire 800 CF reader. It's also lightning-fast. $60 minus $20 mail-in rebate = $40. You need a Firewire 800 port, though.

Scott Frase March 19th, 2009 09:48 AM

same problem, different OS

I seem to get the same hangs on large video files greater than 500MB from the EOS Utility on my MacBook Pro running Leopard. It did the same thing running the previous version of OSX as well.

Given people's previous posts about Windows Explorer behaving similarly, this might not be an "EOS Utility only" problem.

Does someone have a support contact at Canon we could communicate with?
scott

Pete Kelso March 19th, 2009 10:22 AM

worked with EOS Utility

I had a dozen 500 mb video files to transfer and using "drag & drop" didn't work. I used EOS utility on PC to do the transfer and it worked like a charm.