Where to Get Canon 5DII at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 17th, 2009, 12:59 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Where to Get Canon 5DII

So I have been trying to watch our regular sponsors here to catch one of these cameras while in stock- with no luck. BH is not accepting orders. Has anyone figured out why no one has any stock, or is there a sponsor out there that does ?
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Have you tried Amazon?
Julius Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #3
Major Player

B&H has had them in stock off and on, so if you keep checking back I wouldn't be surprised to see them back in a few days...

If you're in a hurry, you might have to try other places.
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Inner Circle

You can also try calling Frys and Best Buy each day. I believe that BB only carries the3 5D2 at their more upscale stores. (Look for one with a Magnolia store in store.) I got mine a Frys.

At BB, a woman told me about their delivery schedule, but it didn't help. The 5D2s were being drop shipped whenever. It's best to call in the morning.
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I went ahead and ordered from a big box store. They promised delivery in 5 days or so.... we shall see.

I will keep all posted.
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Inner Circle

I have been monitoring my regular supplier BH every day, and never see in stock...
Old February 17th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

^^^

Likewise. B&H had them in stock once for an hour or so in all the times I checked which is practically daily. I have been on their notice list (when ever they have let me get in) and I have as of yet to get an in stock notice.

I did get an "opportunity" to pre-order from B&H but they had no delivery date so I passed. I want one too but it's hard for me to shell out near $3k for an unknown date of delivery.

It is amazing how popular this camera is. Even in this economic climate.
Rick Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Best Buy

You can always order from them. Good people.
Gary Szunyogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Also check w/our sponsor Precision Camera:

Precision Camera & Video - Great deals on Digital Cameras, Photography Equipment, Accessories, and Photography Classes

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Automated way to find MKII

I got mine from Amazon and, maybe I was really lucky, but it was actually pretty painless. The trick was using some free software I got off the web. I can't remember the name of it, but it's a little program that keeps watch of sites you list and alerts you when there is a change on that site.

For example, I set it up to look at the Canon 5D Mark II product pages on the usual websites: Adorama, B&H, Amazon, etc. Essentially I instructed the program to alert me whenever the text "In stock" showed up on that page. You can also instruct it to look for times when certain text doesn't show up, like "on order."

If I remember right, I got my camera from Amazon by telling the program to alert me when "$3,499.99" appeared. So when the overinflated prices some Amazon-related sellers were replaced for a minute or two by Amazon itself selling the camera at its stated retail price, the software pinged me. I went right to the site by clicking the handy URL the software provided, and I got the 5DMKII and lens for the retail price a little before Christmas...

Okay, I lied. The first time I got pinged, I lost my nerve (hey, $3,499 is a lot of money) and someone else snagged it. But the next time I was ready and less than a minute after the ping, I had placed the order. The camera arrived a few days later. Amazon has excellent service, btw.

So Google around for "web site watchers" or "site checkers" or something similar. (PC versions of the software are more common than Mac versions.) I got a free 15-day trial of the software and had the MKII within a few days.
Greg Joyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:21 PM   #11
Major Player

B and H call at noon ET every day... they had one in stock Friday, I get it tomorrow and got their warranty which covers accidental damage (as I mentioned in a separate post).
Josh Brusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #12
Major Player

Do you want to buy mine? :)

I'm about at the end of my rope with it. Why? It's not the auto-gain audio or ergonomic problems, or lack of manual controls, I knew all that going in. But what I didn't count on was a lack of reliability.

1. Stuttering - the picture stutters, period, about every 3 seconds. And no it's not the card, it happens with two seperate SanDisk Extreme III Cards. The chances that they are both bad is virtually nil. This is the nail in the coffin. There is no way to shoot professional video with this happening.
2. Iris flashes - these happen rarely, but they do happen. The exposure just flashes, even with ae lock on.
3. Audio quality - I've had shots completely ruined by really loud static that comes in randomly. It wasn't the connection or the cable. It just happens. And then it goes away. 95% of the time the audio works fine, but because if I can't monitor I have no idea if this is happening until I review the take.
4. Macro Blocking - On shots with lots of details, like mulch at a playground, I get huge visible macro blocks on people's clothing and other solid color areas.
5. Live View just shuts off sometimes. Not when recording. But I can turn it on and in 2 seconds it turns off again.

The bottom-line is that I just can't rely on it and if I can't use this professionally, I can't justify the expense. I'm already in deep enough with money, maybe it's time to get out.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Here is a stock tracking website

Canon 5D Mark II In Stock Tracker - NowInStock.net
Brian Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Great to hear about all of these methods. Didn't really expect stock to be out so long on this camera.... but it tells you something about the the hunger for a camera with its attributes. Canon still division probably didn't expect the videophiles to put such a demand on it. I ordered through a big box before all these posts came in, and we will see what happens with it. With an 18 month no interest account, I could not pass it up through that retailer... and Brian Leahy's post above confirms it is in stock at that BB site.
Old February 18th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #15
Major Player

I managed to get one on B&H in mid December.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD