DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   auto or manual screen setting ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/144078-auto-manual-screen-setting.html)

Mark Moreve February 18th, 2009 02:46 PM

auto or manual screen setting ?

Hi
What are most people doing Auto or manual on the rear screen setting & if manual what number. Does it just depend on the ambient viewing light when watching your footage / photos back?
Thanks
Mark

Daniel Browning February 19th, 2009 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Moreve (Post 1014108)
Hi
What are most people doing Auto or manual on the rear screen setting & if manual what number. Does it just depend on the ambient viewing light when watching your footage / photos back?
Thanks
Mark

One idea is to throw a black cloth over your head and look at the LCD screen (using manual brightness) to get consistent brightness and viewing conditions no matter what the ambient light levels are. However, given that exposure control is a gamble anyway, I haven't worried about inaccuracies introduced by LCD brightness.

Mark Hahn February 20th, 2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Browning (Post 1014353)
One idea is to throw a black cloth over your head and look at the LCD screen (using manual brightness) to get consistent brightness and viewing conditions no matter what the ambient light levels are. However, given that exposure control is a gamble anyway, I haven't worried about inaccuracies introduced by LCD brightness.

I agree about the black cloth, but only for shooting an indie where matching scenes is important. For stills, the LCD auto-brightness with the exposure sim has worked so well it has never occurred to me to change anything.

Daniel Browning February 20th, 2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Hahn (Post 1015341)
For stills, the LCD auto-brightness with the exposure sim has worked so well it has never occurred to me to change anything.

I prefer to use the histogram instead of the review image to judge exposures for stills.

Jon Fairhurst February 20th, 2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Browning (Post 1015348)
I prefer to use the histogram instead of the review image to judge exposures for stills.

We use the histogram for stills and video. We do that by taking a live view photo with the desired video settings and confirming the histogram. We also use an expo disc (diffuser) for setting the white balance. We take a photo with the disc from the target point of view, then select that photo for the WB correction. Later, when we look at the histogram, we can confirm if the WB is reasonable.

Mark Hahn February 20th, 2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1015441)
We use the histogram for stills and video. We do that by taking a live view photo with the desired video settings and confirming the histogram. We also use an expo disc (diffuser) for setting the white balance. We take a photo with the disc from the target point of view, then select that photo for the WB correction. Later, when we look at the histogram, we can confirm if the WB is reasonable.

I must admit I exaggerated. I use the histogram and then trust the expo sim when things are working well.