auto or manual screen setting ? at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 18th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #1
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: london
Posts: 125
auto or manual screen setting ?

Hi
What are most people doing Auto or manual on the rear screen setting & if manual what number. Does it just depend on the ambient viewing light when watching your footage / photos back?
Thanks
Mark
Mark Moreve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Moreve View Post
Hi
What are most people doing Auto or manual on the rear screen setting & if manual what number. Does it just depend on the ambient viewing light when watching your footage / photos back?
Thanks
Mark
One idea is to throw a black cloth over your head and look at the LCD screen (using manual brightness) to get consistent brightness and viewing conditions no matter what the ambient light levels are. However, given that exposure control is a gamble anyway, I haven't worried about inaccuracies introduced by LCD brightness.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
One idea is to throw a black cloth over your head and look at the LCD screen (using manual brightness) to get consistent brightness and viewing conditions no matter what the ambient light levels are. However, given that exposure control is a gamble anyway, I haven't worried about inaccuracies introduced by LCD brightness.
I agree about the black cloth, but only for shooting an indie where matching scenes is important. For stills, the LCD auto-brightness with the exposure sim has worked so well it has never occurred to me to change anything.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
For stills, the LCD auto-brightness with the exposure sim has worked so well it has never occurred to me to change anything.
I prefer to use the histogram instead of the review image to judge exposures for stills.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Camas, WA, USA
Posts: 5,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
I prefer to use the histogram instead of the review image to judge exposures for stills.
We use the histogram for stills and video. We do that by taking a live view photo with the desired video settings and confirming the histogram. We also use an expo disc (diffuser) for setting the white balance. We take a photo with the disc from the target point of view, then select that photo for the WB correction. Later, when we look at the histogram, we can confirm if the WB is reasonable.
__________________
Jon Fairhurst
Jon Fairhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
We use the histogram for stills and video. We do that by taking a live view photo with the desired video settings and confirming the histogram. We also use an expo disc (diffuser) for setting the white balance. We take a photo with the disc from the target point of view, then select that photo for the WB correction. Later, when we look at the histogram, we can confirm if the WB is reasonable.
I must admit I exaggerated. I use the histogram and then trust the expo sim when things are working well.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:37 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network