Is it that good? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 01:10 AM   #1
Trustee

Is it that good?

Guys, I'm thinking of getting one, but have some doubts, so most likely i will rent a unit for couple days and shoot side by side with EX1 under different conditions, but even before I do that, can you please tell me if it's possible to replace a really great camcorder like EX1 with the photocamera taking video, I've tried D90 couple month ago, and I can tell it's great photo camera that does OK video, but looking at the MKII sample footage I can say it's not just OK, it's amazing. D90 has 5 min limit for the video duration, is it the same deal with MKII?
What's the media CF? what x is good for the video, how long let's say 16 Gb will last,
what's the battery life in video mode, how long video you can shoot the with the grip;
I would really appreciate if you could give me some answers,
many many thanks!
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:35 AM   #2
New Boot

As much as I wanted the 5D Mk II to work as a video camera, it has a few flaws that will keep it as a specialty tool.

The lack of monitoring during recording is a big one.

Plus you need an outboard audio recorder, as the camera only has an auto gain input.

The bottom line is that the camera has a great look, it just depends on how much compromise you can deal with to use it.

To answer some of your specific questions:

4gig clip limit is about 12 minutes, so 48 minutes of time on a 16GB card.

I do not have an exact run time on the batteries, but i have shot for 4 hours without killing the 2 batteries in the grip.
Art Aldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 06:51 AM   #3
New Boot

Replacing an EX1? Certainly not. You can't really compare these 2 camera's.

The 5dmk2 is really only for very careful photography. Yes, the images are brilliant but the rolling shutter problems and the fact that you can't use manual controls makes it not usable in a professional environment.
And you have to use a separate recording device for sound (5dmk2 = auto gain for sound)
Rolling shutter = you have to use a very steady tripod or very good steadycam, pan carefully and slowly only in one direction at a time and just the smallest vibration will cause the image to bump really hard
Manual controls = can't use it on a set to make exactly identical takes

This being said, the images a really fantastic due the fact of the very narrow depth of field (super 35 mm). For me this is not a video camera any more. It's film with all its beauty and complexity.
You have to be aware of the fact that the focus is very critical and you will have to use a follow focus (+ eventually a focus puller).
Max length of a clip is +/ 10 min (4 gb). You could 4 of these on 14 gb card.
Battery = +/- 1 hour 1/2

Eugene

EUGENE HERTOGHE Photographer Belgium - fotograaf Gent Belgie
Eugene Hertoghe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 07:52 AM   #4
Sponsor: Westside AV

No the 5DMKII can not replace the EX1 or in my case the EX3. The control and ergonomics are not there as a video camera.

But the 5DMKII complements any standard video cam.

The 5DMKII is a fantastic still camera. I have always used some photos in commercial production in many different ways.

The fact that you can now get the DOF of a 35mm cam for a couple grand, and in my case I have Canon lenses from 17-800mm from decades of shooting with Canon still cams.

I think this really is the beginning of a revolution, for video cams.

But at this point I see it as a special FX video cam and also a great walking around cam, both vid and still.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 10:26 AM   #5
Trustee

Thank you guys,
I could use a separate sound setup, zacuto has excellent DSLR support packages with follow focus and ext. monitor, but luck of manual controls in video mode?
I'm still going to rent 5D for couple days, I just need to get some comparison shots and get the feel of the workflow to be able to sleep well again :)
many thanks again,
I love this place!
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:15 AM   #6
Major Player

There are dozens of threads here discussing the same thing and it always comes down to "Depends on what you plan to shoot with it."

Pick the right tool for the job, there is no perfect camera as a solution for everything.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD