Canon's 5D Mark II White Paper Revised at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old February 26th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Canon's 5D Mark II White Paper Revised

"Perhaps more importantly, with the EOS 5D Mark II’s large image sensor and its ability to use very fast lenses, users can obtain shallow, selective depth of field that is difficult or impossible to achieve with regular camcorders with smaller image sensors. This sensor size difference means that, for any given combination of aperture value, subject distance and angle of view, images from the EOS 5D Mark II will have shallower depth of field than images from a conventional HD device. EOS 5D Mark II users can take advantage of this feature to produce high quality HD movies. Canon is gratified at the overwhelmingly positive market response to the EOS 5D Mark II camera. Based on this success, it’s only natural that advanced users are looking for manual aperture control in movie mode, and Canon is listening to constructive comments and feature suggestions. In the meantime, we hope that our comments here will help to clarify the White Paper’s statements on depth of field control in movie mode."

http://www.usa.canon.com/uploadedima...20II%20WP1.pdf

Let me quote that again...

"Based on this success, it’s only natural that advanced users are looking for manual aperture control in movie mode, and Canon is listening to constructive comments and feature suggestions."

One can only hope this means manual control is coming.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Very interesting...indeed !!
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:23 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Exciting indeed.
Julius Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Note that they didn't mention full manual control. They only mention full manual aperture control. That speaks to the concern about competitive lenses having an advantage over EF glass.

Here's my constructive recommendation:
* The minimum change required would be to not reset the locked exposure settings when the user stops recording video. Only revert to auto mode when the locked exposure is manually disabled, or when the camera exits Live View. This would allow anybody who locks the exposure to get a series of shots that can be edited together cleanly.

However, it does not fix the competitive lens problem.

* The minimal change to fix the lens problem would be to allow the top wheel to control aperture when in aperture priority mode. Everything else could remain automatic, but please don't reset the exposure lock each time video recording is stopped.

* However, the best solution for all is to record video with the same settings (or as close as is practical) as in exposure simulation mode. This is the behavior that users intuitively expect. New users are generally surprised when the exposure simulation settings are lost immediately upon starting a movie mode recording. This solution gives users control without shining lights into the camera, and it would make Canon EF lenses the top choice for photo and video users alike.

Note that none of these suggestions require any modification of the camera user interface, or the instruction manual.
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #5
Wrangler

I don't see why the can't implement a menu button that switches from the current full auto mode to a full manual mode where the camera works with the same video controls as in still mode.

Like Push Live View TWICE for manual mode.
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:32 AM   #6
Major Player

I really doubt this means anything more than that Canon may take our requests under considerations on future products. I have no doubt that this has all taken them by surprise and would not be surprised to see larger sensors on future camcorders.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:35 AM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lipats View Post
I really doubt this means anything more than that Canon may take our requests under considerations on future products.
I agree with that. It's probably something for the 5D mkIII or 1D mkIV a year or more down the road.
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I am still holding out hope that they will fix it soon. Nikon has to be licking it's chops at the hype over the 5dmk2, they can release a full chip dslr that works well without any concern for their camcorder line. If Nikon gets to market 6 months or a year ahead of Canon, think of how many people will jump over, and the problem of a strong competitor to their camcorder line still exists, they just don't reap any of the profits. If Canon fixes the firmware they can potentially dominate the market and steal a few loyal Nikon users.

Fix it Canon, for your own good, really, I am just looking out for you.
Daniel Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #9
Major Player

I don't understand why Canon doesn't use what it already has in the 5D mk II. There's a BIG dial on the top left of the camera body, with several positions on it. One is marked with a green box, another Av, another Tv, and a third, M. Surely, if we were to put the camera in the green box mode, the camera would do everything automatically. If we put the dial in Av mode and set the aperture, the camera could simply lock the aperture there and do everything else automatically. Similarly, if we were to put the dial on Tv, we could set the frame rate (within the limits set by Canon), the camera would lock the frame rate and everything else would be set automatically. And finally, for those of us who want it, we could turn the dial to M and do everything ourselves, just as we do now, and let the camera's brain take a rest!

Why would we need extra menus and other extraneous stuff? The camera already does all of this in stills mode! No need to make it more difficult!

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM   #10
Major Player

I wrote elsewhere about this yesterday but wasn't comfortable posting it here because I wasn't positive that the quote was from Canon.

I think that the last line is saying two things:
They're listening and understand our concerns.
Please keep it civil and positive.

I also think it's very different from what customer and tech support have previously felt they could say in answer to the torrent of complaints from HD users.

IMHO it certainly sounds like Canon is looking at a solution.
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 03:35 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti View Post
IMHO it certainly sounds like Canon is looking at a solution.
I have to think so too....I can't believe the corporate lawyers would have allowed such a statement out on an official document otherwise.

...unless they never saw it.
Michael Murie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
* The minimum change required would be to not reset the locked exposure settings when the user stops recording video. Only revert to auto mode when the locked exposure is manually disabled, or when the camera exits Live View. This would allow anybody who locks the exposure to get a series of shots that can be edited together cleanly.
Nothing to add to this post :)

Or, yes: With such a feature one doesn't look like an idiot anymore. (Ever seen a PROFESSIONAL video filmer setting up the camera again after every single shot? Puts off a lot of clients...)
Joe Wentrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:18 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wentrup View Post
Or, yes: With such a feature one doesn't look like an idiot anymore. (Ever seen a PROFESSIONAL video filmer setting up the camera again after every single shot? Puts off a lot of clients...)
So true! Just because the camera isn't designed for professional video use doesn't mean that 5D MkII owners want to look like pikers!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD