Neo Scene 1.1.2 (Win) with better 5D support - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM   #46
Regular Crew

I just processed my first clips using NeoScene and Vegas 8.0c . I had already processed these clips as mov files straight out of the 5D Mark II and output them as 1920 x 1080 HD.
I processed them with NeoScene using the Main Concept codec and also the Sony AVC codec. The render time was a lot faster but both clips look faded (much lower contrast) then the clips processed without NeoScene as native 5D mov files. Is this to be expected or is there something I need to change?
Andy Todzia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 11:10 AM   #47
Regular Crew

I should have mentioned that the initial conversion out of NeoScene is fine and there is no noticable lost of contrast. The reduced contrast happens when I render these converted files from Vegas as Mpeg-4 HD files.
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #48
CTO, CineForm Inc.

This is a Vegas display issue/design choice, as it defaults to displaying black to level 16 not zero. The MOV import is getting this wrong and the older Neo Scene did also. If you prefer to preview black at 0, there is the video system RGB to compter graphic RGB filters, add maybe similar controls in the Vegas Setup. You will notice the Neo Scene desktop playback is correct so it just the way Vegas defaults.
Old March 14th, 2009, 02:53 PM   #49
Inner Circle

What version of Quicktime do you have? QT 7.6 captures the whites and blacks, but boosts the mid tones. Earlier versions of QT crop the blacks and whites. Sure, it increases contrast, but crushes blacks and whites.

The best way to use Vegas, if you don't have Neo Scene, is to Open QT and export your MOV files as MP4s. You will lose the audio, so keep your MOVs. Make sure to "rewrap" when saving as an MP4. It's fast, as there is no re-encoding.

In Vegas, you will need to apply the Computer -> Studio RGB filter to your clips or tracks, if your project is in 8-bit mode. The files will then render properly in most cases. That should be your baseline. If you want a different contrast, apply your own color curves, levels, gamma and so on to taste.

When using Neo Scene, you should be able to confirm that the levels are the same as your baseline. You may also need to apply the Computer -> Studio RGB to get everything to match.

With Neo Scene you won't lose your audio, and editing is MUCH faster than with MOVs or MP4s.
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:05 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
This is a Vegas display issue/design choice, as it defaults to displaying black to level 16 not zero. The MOV import is getting this wrong and the older Neo Scene did also. If you prefer to preview black at 0, there is the video system RGB to compter graphic RGB filters, add maybe similar controls in the Vegas Setup. You will notice the Neo Scene desktop playback is correct so it just the way Vegas defaults.
So why doesn't Vegas default to this when I use the mov files right out of the 5D?
Old March 14th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #51
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
What version of Quicktime do you have? QT 7.6 captures the whites and blacks, but boosts the mid tones. Earlier versions of QT crop the blacks and whites. Sure, it increases contrast, but crushes blacks and whites.

The best way to use Vegas, if you don't have Neo Scene, is to Open QT and export your MOV files as MP4s. You will lose the audio, so keep your MOVs. Make sure to "rewrap" when saving as an MP4. It's fast, as there is no re-encoding.

In Vegas, you will need to apply the Computer -> Studio RGB filter to your clips or tracks, if your project is in 8-bit mode. The files will then render properly in most cases. That should be your baseline. If you want a different contrast, apply your own color curves, levels, gamma and so on to taste.

When using Neo Scene, you should be able to confirm that the levels are the same as your baseline. You may also need to apply the Computer -> Studio RGB to get everything to match.

With Neo Scene you won't lose your audio, and editing is MUCH faster than with MOVs or MP4s.
I have the latest version of Quicktime Pro. I am going to do another test rendering a clip right out of the camera to the same output format and see what I get. The other clips were rendered on a 32 bit Vista computer 2 months ago just to make sure something hasn't changed that doesn't involve NeoScene.
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #52
Regular Crew

Can someone describe what this crushed black issue will look like. In some clips that I converted a few months ago, they have greater contrast, darker blacks, etc. It is a scene of a river during a snow storm with falling snow. In the same clips that I converted today there is less contrast but perhaps it looks more natural. I have them both burned to a BD-RE disc was was viewing them on a large HD TV.

I was just beginning to learn Vegas and processed 3 clips, was concerned about the preview quality and the amount of time it took to render. Put that on the back burner and built a new I7 Vista 64 bit PC, and have finally come back to playing with the video clips in Vegas trying NeoScene to see if I should get it. It is nice to render things in a very short amount of time. I am trying to sort all this out and keep it all straight in my mind at the same time.
Old March 14th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #53
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Last 3 blog posts discuss the 5D black levels : CineForm Insider
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #54
Regular Crew

I started reading your blog and I thought I should ask this question. I have CoreAVC installed on my computer. (I bought the Pro version because when I tried NEO HD? a few months ago with no luck, the tech person told me to get it)

Is CoreAVC going to cause any problems using NeoScene or anything else. Is it good to keep it installed. If so, are there any particular settings I should make sure I have on or off?
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #55
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Todzia View Post
I started reading your blog and I thought I should ask this question. I have CoreAVC installed on my computer. (I bought the Pro version because when I tried NEO HD? a few months ago with no luck, the tech person told me to get it)

Is CoreAVC going to cause any problems using NeoScene or anything else. Is it good to keep it installed. If so, are there any particular settings I should make sure I have on or off?
CoreAVC is not used by NeoScene, so there are no conflicts.
Old March 15th, 2009, 04:57 PM   #56
Regular Crew

Everything is sorted out now and I ended up ordering NeoScene. I tired rendering the same 3 clips under Vista 64 bit using Vegas Pro 8.1 ,without NeoScene, and when the minutes remaining settled down (I cancelled the render) the total time to render would have been about 45 minutes for about 3 1/2 minutes of video with no special effects, rendering as 1920x1080 HD, mpeg-4, I believe around 20 or 25 MBps.

Doing this using Vegas 8.0c and NeoScene with similar high settings the render was 8 - 12 minutes. I was doing different tests and didn't write things down.
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #57
New Boot

Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
Went out to test my new 5D2 today, and when I returned, found the new NeoScene info. I downloaded and used for this test edit....

The Couple on Vimeo

YouTube - TheCouple
Question: I have downloaded the trail version on my MAC 10.5... and it transcode the video fine...however, I get no audio? Did I do some wrong or do I need a plugin?
Travis Rattley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2010, 09:04 PM   #58
CTO, CineForm Inc.

No idea. And you not likely to get an answer posting to an old thread discussing the Window version only. Post a new thread, or ask support directly. Support Center
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #59
Trustee

David, do we need an update with the new 5D2 firmware? I see a claim that it would work as per the 7D. Keeping my fingers crossed. No time to try it yet.
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #60
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I likely made that claim, and I expect it to work. Need new 5D MOVs clips to test.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD