Shallow DOF- Overuse? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 6th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #16
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Oplinger View Post
go watch any student film ever made.
LOL! Excellent
Old March 6th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #17
Major Player

You haven't seen anything yet. Wait till my camera gets here.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:10 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hello to all, this is my second post here!

Me and my wife work for a short-film festival, so I get to see 400-500 short-films every year. There is people who is abusing low DOF, there are shorts that have barely anything in focus!!! ;-))

But most directors insteed are doing a good use in short-films.

In Vimeo and YouTube videos of the 5D mkII, the low DOF is used and abused, but it's normal. They do it because they CAN! ;-DD
Xavier Plagaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier Plagaro View Post
In Vimeo and YouTube videos of the 5D mkII, the low DOF is used and abused, but it's normal. They do it because they CAN! ;-DD
Hey, don't knock it. Most Vimeo videos have no story. All they're left with is "this looks cool." In fact, I'm in the process of making one for the music store where my daughter works. The premise is simply, "this music store has cool stuff in it." I'll edit it to music by the owner or one of the employees. I don't have a steadycam, tracks, or a crane, so for motion I'm using lots of focus effects. It's DOF city.

You can't use DOF to distract from the story when there isn't one. :)
Old March 8th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #20
Inner Circle

I wouldn't say that Dutch angles are a recent fashion, they came into fashion again over 15 years ago. They seem to be a bit out of fashion in recent years, although Slumdog has quite a few.

Shallow DOF effects came quite fashionable nearly 20 years ago in commercials etc.

These visual devices tend to go in cycles, perhaps zooms will come back in again as well.

It's the unmotivated use of them that's the problem, well thought out use helps to serve the story, unfortunately over use can be a distraction. If you're you so absorbed by the photographic effect rather than the subject matter, if there's no emotional connection other than it looks great perhaps you are over using the visual device.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
You can't use DOF to distract from the story when there isn't one. :)
;-DDD

That's exactly the point, as long as you are "experimenting", you do it with what you lacked before. But when you have something to "say", it's better to not use always 1cm of focus in all your shots!!! ;-DD
Xavier Plagaro is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD