Shallow DOF- Overuse? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Shallow DOF- Overuse?

In looking at a lot of 5D footage that folks are posting I seem to notice an overuse of Shallow DOF. Its probably a natural tendency given its been such a coveted look for so long. So wondering what everyone else thinks. The 5D opens up a whole new world for us videographers in terms of shot/lens selection. I know I have a lot to learn to best utilize what we now have in our hands. I find myself obsessed now when watching television taking note of when and how DOF is used and what lenses they may be using for a particular shot. Any thoughts?

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM   #2
Major Player

I have to agree, it's often abused. I notice people do the same thing with 35mm adapters. It can be very distracting.

There is a time when it works and a time when it just does not.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The posts I have seen thus far seem to emphasize the night time abilities more than anything else. My recent post in another thread had three different angles. While one angle demonstrated the DofF characteristics, that was not predominant. This camera is amazing because it pushed video to a new level, which includes low light performance and 35mm "film like" capabilities in terms of lens selection. The shallow depth of field naturally accompanies that, just as 35mm film cameras will.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:24 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm not sure what you are seeing is so much a reflection of "overuse," as it is a reflection that the mostly-undefeatable autoexposure program of the 5D2 most often tends to try to open the aperture up. Just take a sampling of vimeo 5D2 videos, and the great majority indoors = shallow DOF, and the great majority outside are deep DOF. You have to be actively trying to defeat the camera's program to do anything else in those environments don't you? Something that's not easily done without lots of lights indoors or lots of NDs outdoors. No?
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 04:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I think it will be definitely overused if it's not already -- after many years of being stuck with infinite DOF via so many small-chip DV cameras, we finally get big CMOS chips. It's understandable that people will go a little nuts with DOF that's 1/3". Look!!!! Bokeh!!!

That said, shallow or deep DOF does not a good story make. If we can get some decent manual controls on the 5dMkII, then the OPTION to have shallow DOF will be great -- just because one CAN doesn't mean one SHOULD.
Ryan Koo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:27 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Koo View Post
I think it will be definitely overused if it's not already -- after many years of being stuck with infinite DOF via so many small-chip DV cameras, we finally get big CMOS chips. It's understandable that people will go a little nuts with DOF that's 1/3". Look!!!! Bokeh!!!

That said, shallow or deep DOF does not a good story make. If we can get some decent manual controls on the 5dMkII, then the OPTION to have shallow DOF will be great -- just because one CAN doesn't mean one SHOULD.
Everyone should be using Dutch Tilts instead.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:51 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I don't see any harm.

It is like when the HVX came out and every single shot had to be overcranked/slo-mo. Novelty is fun. Then it wears off and just becomes another tool in the shed.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Friedman View Post
I don't see any harm.

It is like when the HVX came out and every single shot had to be overcranked/slo-mo. Novelty is fun. Then it wears off and just becomes another tool in the shed.
Dutch Tilts were a bit worse. They were so overused in the 50's that no one used them for 50 years. Now they are starting to show up again, like in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
Dutch Tilts were a bit worse. They were so overused in the 50's that no one used them for 50 years. Now they are starting to show up again, like in "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
You should see Fear and Loathing In the Netherlands... Dutch tilts like crazy.
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:14 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
LOL (I hate LOL. Let me change that to VERY FUNNY).
Old March 4th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
Slumdog.

Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Varga View Post
In looking at a lot of 5D footage that folks are posting I seem to notice an overuse of Shallow DOF. Its probably a natural tendency given its been such a coveted look for so long. So wondering what everyone else thinks. The 5D opens up a whole new world for us videographers in terms of shot/lens selection. I know I have a lot to learn to best utilize what we now have in our hands. I find myself obsessed now when watching television taking note of when and how DOF is used and what lenses they may be using for a particular shot. Any thoughts?

Art

but...but...but... The leaves in my parent's backyard look soooooo much better at 1.4 :P </sarcasm>
Jordan Oplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #13
Major Player

What do you guys mean by Dutch shots?
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
A Dutch Shot is when you tilt the camera (rotate it so one side is higher than the other). When you do this and you do a cut you have to tilt the opposite direction each cut for obvious reasons. Think of a film noire detective looking at the dead body on the ground, with the picture tilted.

The original name was Deutsch Tilt because the German cinema started it in the 40's, but it got bastardized to Dutch.

Check Wikipedia.
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:56 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
go watch any student film ever made.
Jordan Oplinger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD