DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   CHEAP lenses that work for video (maybe NOT for photos) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/145254-cheap-lenses-work-video-maybe-not-photos.html)

David Koo March 6th, 2009 12:11 PM

CHEAP lenses that work for video (maybe NOT for photos)

I know that video resolution (even 1080p) is MUCH lower than the resolution for still photos. I assume that there must exist some CHEAP Nikon, Sigma, and other lenses that would be a BARGAN for video work (although they would be too "soft" for still photos)? I know that this is a REALLY general question and that there are many other factor, but what CHEAP lenses do you own that have really surprised you in terms of their quality for VIDEO... Thank again...

Dylan Couper March 6th, 2009 12:26 PM

There are a lot of bargain 50mm f1.4 lenses. I have a Asahi SUper Takumar on loan from a buddy who got it dirt cheap off Ebay. Fantastic.

Bill Ravens March 6th, 2009 12:50 PM

I bought an El Nikkor 36-72mm zoom lens from Ebay(Adorama) for $15.00!! It was in very good condition and is one sweet lens. One reason it's so cheap, I think, is because it doesn't have auto-focus or stabilization built in. It has a push-pull zoom/focus ring, which some videographers don't like, but, I like it.

Jordan Oplinger March 6th, 2009 12:54 PM

50mm 1.8 Canon- $80 new, can't beat it for the price.

Tamron 28-75 2.8 - Super Sharp, fast, I think they go for $400 new.

Jon Fairhurst March 6th, 2009 01:14 PM

I've owned a couple of Sigma lenses, and my opinion is that they spec big apertures at good prices, but the quality is poor when wide open. If you don't want too much vignetting and other artifacts, mentally add a virtual stop.

For 1080p on a FF35 sensor, lens resolution isn't much of a problem. Light falloff is the bigger consideration when a lens is near wide open. Falloff can look cool in some photos. It's not bad on a tripod. Once you start to pan it can be noticeable. If you watch Hollywood films from the 1940s forward, there's typically very little vignetting. Part of the Hollywood look is good glass.

For an S35 sensor or Micro-Four-Thirds with a 35mm lens, vignetting will be less of a problem, but resolution starts to become more important, since the pixels are smaller. Cropping to 720p with the 5D MkII is one solution to light falloff, but I'd rather frame to the full size of the LCD display.

Chris Barcellos March 6th, 2009 04:02 PM

I have bought as many 15 lenses on EBay. Most I ever paid was $ 100.00 including shipping.

For this film: The Couple on Vimeo

I shot a Vivitar 70-205 with a Nikon mount, I bought for $ 30.00. I also bought the 2.8 24mm that I used for the wide of them sitting on bench for around $ 60.00 plus shipping. I bought a 1.4 50 mm Nikkor about 3 months ago for around $ 60.00, to replace one I had bought for $ 35, that had sticky iris leafs.

I have a 28-80 3.5 Takumar with a Pentax mount, that actually does a great job as an all around zoom lens on the camera. Again, I don't recall exact price, but I bought it packages with a Pentax 3.5 28mm, if I recall right, for around $40.00.

One should not ignore the older Pentax lenses, both K2 and c-mount, which were great lenses for 35mm photography. I have not seen minolta adapters recently.

These lenses all seem to have more than adequate resolution to make the 5D video shine.

Rich Castro March 6th, 2009 04:26 PM

sigma 24-60 f2.8 for $219

Picked it up for $219 new at Cameta through Amazon. Canon mount means no aperture control of course. But it's a steal for a continuous f2.8 zoom.

Works semi-decently for photo as well. (samples: Flickr: dicky c's stuff tagged with sigma2460mm )

Toenis Liivamaegi March 7th, 2009 09:03 AM

Cosina 3.5-4.5 19-35mm (Nikon mount) new EUR 120.- fully manual but plastic construction, works for ultra wide shots outdoors. Front element rotates so polarizers do not work that well on this lens. Focus shifts when zooming but outdoors at f8 it is not a problem.

Yashica 50mm f1.4 (EUR 40.-) really good and focuses in the same direction as Canon EF lenses.

Avoid older Sigma manual primes specially wides with f2.8 - really crappy.

The best wide angle for hand held I have owned is the Kiron f2 28mm (EUR 170.-) sharp wide open.

If you want the sharpest lens available when at f1.4 you can get the new Samyang 85mm f1.4 for sub EUR 300.- (as it is better than the Canon 85mm L f1.2 when wide open) - amazing DOF for "wide angle" two people full body shots. (something like this t i i v i k: Mahhõl)

Cheers,
T

Tom Hardwick March 7th, 2009 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1023424)
There are a lot of bargain 50mm f1.4 lenses. I have a Asahi SUper Takumar on loan from a buddy who got it dirt cheap off Ebay. Fantastic.

Sounds like a mid 70s screw-thread Pentax lens. Has it got 'finger-indentations' in the focus ring rather than a continuous rubber knurl? If so, it was a pretty expensive lens back then, and was probably (after the f/1.8 version) the best lens in the Pentax box. Best = sharpest, least flare, least distortion, widest aperture.

tom.

Dylan Couper March 7th, 2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1023885)
Sounds like a mid 70s screw-thread Pentax lens. Has it got 'finger-indentations' in the focus ring rather than a continuous rubber knurl? If so, it was a pretty expensive lens back then, and was probably (after the f/1.8 version) the best lens in the Pentax box. Best = sharpest, least flare, least distortion, widest aperture.

tom.

That's it!

I just realized that the mirror isn't always clearing the back of the lens on the downslap though, which doesn't affect video, but is probably not good long term. I'd take a Dremel to it, but my buddy would kill me.

Rob Thompson March 7th, 2009 09:37 PM

If you get the Kawa adapter from eBay (Nikon-to-Canon mount) you can get those Nikon 50mm 1.8 lenses 2nd hand or from eBay as well ...

I have 2 in my storage closet. They have a different "look" compared to a similar Canon product, probably due to 1980's technology and different coatings. But still totally usable for video. Plus, they're really lightweight and have a small, compact build.

I also have a 1980's-vintage Vivitar 28mm wide-angle that works great too.

It's fun to experiment with these different vintage lenses and see the results.