EOS 5D Mk. II Upgrade Wishlist Poll -- taking suggestions - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 17th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #46
Major Player

I'm pretty sure the big difference with this upgrade will be full manual control in video mode. It's a known fact that they wanted to offer it from the beginning but Nikon released the D90 before, so they had to rush the release of the 5D a few months. The firmware update is coming at the same time they intended to release the camera at first, so it will probably add everything they wanted it to have initially.

I think 25p is possible. Mainly because they know it's a must for PAL countries.

If they have to mess with the processor to adapt it for PAL countries, maybe they'll end up offering 24p.
Old March 17th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #47
Regular Crew

I just want to add one suggestion: The Canon photo section should start to colaborate very, VERY closely with the professional video section. Hybrids are the future and the next step after the Panasonic GH1 will already be very close to perfection. Canon has the chance to do that one.
Joe Wentrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose A. Garcia View Post
I'm pretty sure the big difference with this upgrade will be full manual control in video mode. It's a known fact that they wanted to offer it from the beginning but Nikon released the D90 before, so they had to rush the release of the 5D a few months. The firmware update is coming at the same time they intended to release the camera at first, so it will probably add everything they wanted it to have initially.

I think 25p is possible. Mainly because they know it's a must for PAL countries.

If they have to mess with the processor to adapt it for PAL countries, maybe they'll end up offering 24p.
José,

I think you nailed it. Canon is motivated to sell their own lenses, rather than Nikon's, so they need to add manual control. 30p is a deep insult to more than a third of their market, so they need to add 25p. Hopefully, 24p, 23.976 and 29.97 will come along for the ride...
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #49
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wentrup View Post
I just want to add one suggestion: The Canon photo section should start to colaborate very, VERY closely with the professional video section. Hybrids are the future and the next step after the Panasonic GH1 will already be very close to perfection. Canon has the chance to do that one.
That's exactly what the ProLost blog guy was complaining about when previewing the GH1. He said that the Panasonic video and photo engineers actually seemed to talk to each other when developing new stuff, not like the Canon workers.

Let's hope the first 5D MKII was a quick response to the D90 to say "hey, we're here and we can do it too!" and not a lack of comunication between Canon photo and video departments.

If we're right and the next upgrade includes full manual control and 25p, I'll have a hard time trying to decide between the GH1 and the 5D... or maybe not since all my current equipment and glass is Canon.

If not, well the GH1 looks really good.
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #50
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose A. Garcia View Post
...the ProLost blog guy...
That's Stu Maschwitz, author of The DV Rebel's Guide. He's a DV Info Net member as well.

And I agree; he's absolutely right.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #51
Major Player

Wow! I'm sorry if the "guy" thing sounded a bit simple...

Stu, if you're reading this, let me say I read your blog everyday and your analysis on the GH1 video skew was both great and scary at the same time.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD