Nikon MF lenses... how to tell if safe to use? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 14th, 2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Nikon MF lenses... how to tell if safe to use?

Hi,

I'm borrowing a friend's Nikon-to-Canon adapter tomorrow, as I'd like to try out two old Nikon MF lenses I have on my 5DmkII. But just loooking at the lenses they seem to have a couple of metal tabs that stick out much further from the lens mount than my actual Canon lenses, and am just worried I might harm the camera.
Is there any way to measure or otherwise tell if a Nikon lens is safe to use on the 5DmkII, without finding out the hard way?

The two lenses in question are:

Nikon 24mm f2 AIS
Nikon 105mm f1.8 AIS

Can anyone confirm these are OK to use?

Thanks in advance,

Ben
Ben Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No fear , no damage

The mirror is spring loaded and may just drop down but not close until you try to remove the lens a tad or refocus to less than ininity.

Just make sure it doesn't hit the lens. Easy enough to file off protrusions. Don't force the lens on either if it does not seat.

Study all aspects.
Gary Szunyogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Curtis View Post
Hi,

I'm borrowing a friend's Nikon-to-Canon adapter tomorrow, as I'd like to try out two old Nikon MF lenses I have on my 5DmkII. But just loooking at the lenses they seem to have a couple of metal tabs that stick out much further from the lens mount than my actual Canon lenses, and am just worried I might harm the camera.
Is there any way to measure or otherwise tell if a Nikon lens is safe to use on the 5DmkII, without finding out the hard way?

The two lenses in question are:

Nikon 24mm f2 AIS
Nikon 105mm f1.8 AIS

Can anyone confirm these are OK to use?

Thanks in advance,

Ben
You are safe.
I have been using Nikon AI/AIS with my EOSs for years, and now with 5D MKII. I am using following with no issues:
16mm
24mm
35mm
50mm
55mm
Steven S. Miric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I just made sure no metal from the nikon lens extended past the canon adapter. I only had one lens out of 6 that did - a 50mm 1.4 from the 70s... I just snipped the little metal tab off.
Jeff McCutcheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:34 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The two lenses worked fine. I guess I underestimated how much additional thickness the Canon adapter adds to the Nikon mount.
Ben Curtis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD