My new Mattebox rig - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 1st, 2009, 05:58 PM   #31
Inner Circle

Is the Genus much of a matte box or more of a filter holder?

Hi:

This is for Dan and the others using the Genus matte box. It looks awfully shallow to me to be of much use in actually shading the lenses from reflections. Have you shot in bright sunlight with it and have you had any flares or light pollution creeping in on the edges? I have the Cinevate matte box right now but I agree with Dan's assertion that the Cinevate or the Red Rock boxes are too damn bulky for such a small camera and rig. I barely use my Cinevate right now on my HPX170 because it is too big and bulky, especially with the side flags on. I have kind of gone back to mostly screw in 72mm filters as I find using the matte box to be a nuisance unless we have permits or I have an AC with me.

I do mostly run and gun type of shooting and when you put on a matte box and rods, you instantly look a lot more obtrusive. That begs another question. Dan, I love your Beijing footage sequences, do you find it is more difficult to shoot observational documentary footage when your 5D looks like a film camera than when you were shooting with the just the naked 5D? It seems that for just a while longer, we can pass as tourists with an SLR rather than videographer/filmmakers with an HD camcorder. Often, still photographers can get away with shooting in places where videographers get grilled for permits and "will this be used for a commercial project?" Comments? Are we kind of losing one of the best features of the 5D MKII by turning it into a motion picture camera-looking rig?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:14 AM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Are we kind of losing one of the best features of the 5D MKII by turning it into a motion picture camera-looking rig?

Dan
Somehow matte box loses it instantly but it comes down to morals anyhow.
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 02:23 AM   #33
Trustee

How, how is the mod for the rig? I saw a setup that Stillmotion uses with the rails from Cinevate. Pretty interesting solution too.
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 05:30 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
I've just received the Red Rock Micro so will test that to see if its better.

Dan
Please Dan, can you check then if adding a RR follow focus to your actual Genus+5D rig works with shorter nikkor lenses as well?
Thanks (also for all the beautyfull Guardian videos)
Old May 24th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven S. Miric View Post
Dan,

I have the same issue with short (prime) Nikon lenses on my Genus rails (lack of space for FF). I don't have the FF yet, but this is what I am getting to solve the distance issue:
Manfrotto 357 Universal Sliding Plate Tripod Accessories 203570 Bogen - Vistek Canada Product Specs

Hi. Steven. Have you found if we can use Redrock ff with shorter Nikkors (worst case probably been 50 1.4) and Genus rails?
I already have all this stuff but still waiting for my 5d.
Thanks
Old May 24th, 2009, 03:38 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvise Tedesco View Post
Hi. Steven. Have you found if we can use Redrock ff with shorter Nikkors (worst case probably been 50 1.4) and Genus rails?
If you put the Manfrotto 357 adapter on top of Genus rails, it works even with the shortest Nikon prime..
Steven S. Miric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Great. Thanks. BTW I sent you an email 1 hour ago
Old May 25th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #38
Major Player

Alvise,

A word of caution. If you do a lot of running around with your rig you might find that the 357 quick release plate moves a little on the 5dmkII causing issues with matching the follow focus gears. I see Steven uses a RRS bracket on his camera and I think this may alleviate the problem by giving a better surface for the rubber of the 357 to grip to. Your mileage may vary.

I'm actually thinking about using the Redrockmicro DSLR2.0 mount in preference to the Genus version, or until Genus has a better alternative.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:28 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Alvise,

A word of caution. If you do a lot of running around with your rig you might find that the 357 quick release plate moves a little on the 5dmkII causing issues with matching the follow focus gears. I see Steven uses a RRS bracket on his camera and I think this may alleviate the problem by giving a better surface for the rubber of the 357 to grip to. Your mileage may vary.

I'm actually thinking about using the Redrockmicro DSLR2.0 mount in preference to the Genus version, or until Genus has a better alternative.

Dan
Thanks. But then Redrockmicro new mount doesn't solve the problem with follow focus (Redrockmicro v1) and shorter nikkors ai/ais, or am I missing something?
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #40
Major Player

Alvise,

Sorry but I'm not too sure about that one, I use the Redrock V2 FF unit. Even with this unit I imagine very short Nikkors might be a problem unless you reverse the FF.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #41
Regular Crew

Ok. I don't think there's a difference between v1 and v2. Gear box is the same one in the same relative place. I'll wait for my 5d to arrive and I'll try out something.
Thanks again Dan for sharing all those infos

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD