My new Mattebox rig at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 15th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #1
Major Player

My new Mattebox rig

I've attached some pics of the new Genus wide angle mattebox I’ve been using on my latest trip. Genus It's low profile, light weight and wide angle coverage made it the only Mattebox I've found suitable for my style of run and gun shooting with the 5dmkII. As an added bonus is that it also works with my EX-1, EX-3 and broadcast lenses on my DSR-500. It has two aluminium filter stages which rotate and lock into place firmly and the whole thing looks as well built as possible for a lightweight product.

The best thing though is the Genus advanced adaptor bar system http://www.genustech.tv/userfiles/im...textendedl.jpg As you can see from the pictures it allows rapid extension of the bars to accommodate different lenses without having to change the rods, pure genius. It also gives you limited horizontal and vertical placement of the 15mm support rods. On the 5dmkII you can clip the lens onto the Mattebox too making a very secure setup.

Next I plan to devise a shoulder rig based around this and my existing Redrock Micro shoulder support system, although Genus say they are working on a solution too. I’ve also ordered the new Redrock Micro v2 follow focus microFollowFocus Complete Package which I’m hoping will work well with this rig. The other product I’d like to try with this is the Zacuto zwing-away Zwing-away adapter - Zacuto which would make changing lenses even quicker, but it is not cheap.

I've looked long and hard at Matteboxes before plumping for this one, my previous collection include the Cinevate, Formatt and Cinetactics offerings but none really worked well with the 5dmkII. I like the look of the Redrock Micromattebox but ruled it out for run and gun due to its size and weight. The Vocas mattebox looked nice but was expensive for the same config. I really like the Genus because I can finally use a Mattebox with my Nikon 17-35mm lens without cutoff for video (it cuts off with stills but not the 16x9 video crop) The only caveat is that you need to take the screw in skylight or UV filter off but then I'd do that anyway with a Mattebox. I bought the optional top flag which I think is essential, there is currently no option for side flags but for my shooting this is less of a concern. All in all it's the best Mattebox for my needs.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails
My new Mattebox rig-genus1low.jpg   My new Mattebox rig-genus2low.jpg  

Last edited by Dan Chung; March 15th, 2009 at 11:54 AM.
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I second this set up (as from another post).
A question: how do you find this Beachtek adapter? Is it sufficient enough for what you're shooting? I know they are planning to introduce "5D" model, but as it seems it will be heavier and more expensive... I rather go with "2S"...
Steven S. Miric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Work in progress

Here is where I came so far.
Some parts missing (step ring, Hoodman 3",follow focus,...). All in time... All part but the mic were already in the inventory from my EX1 kit.
Attached Thumbnails
My new Mattebox rig-miric-rig1a.jpg   My new Mattebox rig-miric-rig3a.jpg  

Old March 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Steven,

I'm actually not too happy with the DXA-2s, mainly because there is absolutely no way to monitor even what is going to the camera. I'm hoping the 5D Beacktek will solve a number if issues. If they add the ability to add an output to an external recorder as I suggested, then I'll be buying it.

Is that a Really right stuff quick release on the bottom of your camera? looks good. The Vangard grip also looks well made, have you thought about mounting it on the rails and using a shoulder mount?

Dan
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:14 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Dan,

I am considering getting Redrock shoulder Kit, for 5D as well as EX1. I tried that piece sold/made by Cine City in India (and promoted by Mr. Bloom) - and it ended up in garbage so now I am really on the fence for getting something else.
I do have RRS L bracket on all my DSLRs. Even my M8s have L bracket in a Kit. I keep in permanently attached to each DSLR body I have (protection, convenience, cool, you name it...)...
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Steven,
there is absolutely no way to monitor even what is going to the camera.

Dan
Even with new model, you won't be able to change/adjust what ever sound is recording in to 5D... Monitoring will be available by earphones jack, but that's it... Is it worth it buying it just for earphones jack?
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Steven,
For me yes, ONLY if it allows recording to an external recorder at the same time. I could use a regular mixer for this but I'm trying to keep the kit small for run and gun. The headphones are really useful if only to check that the signal from radio mics etc is coming into the camera clean, I know that the camera then uses auto anyway but that's why the external recorder is a useful backup.

Dan
Old March 15th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #8
Sponsor: Westside AV

Cavision.com makes really good mattebox / railsystem etc.

Check them out.
Attached Thumbnails
My new Mattebox rig-cavision.png  
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Olof,

Thanks for the pic.

I actually have some Cavision gear, including the shoulder support from your picture. Problem with the Cavision Mattebox is that it is just too cumbersome for my purposes, you really need to compare with the Genus to see how much lighter/more compact it is while still offering wide angle coverage. If I wasn't worried about the size and weight I'd say the Redrock Micro mattebox is better constructed and I'm pretty sure about the same price if not cheaper than the Cavision.

I do like the Cavision magnifier though, I wonder if they will bring out a 5dmkII version with some kind of attaching mechanism.

Dan
Old March 16th, 2009, 04:49 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven S. Miric View Post
Steven, what rails are those?

-- peer
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Steven, what rails are those?

-- peer
Genus comes with those rails in some configurations.
£400 ex.VAT for all this

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #12
Major Player

Peer,

Toenis is right but I believe that price is for the standard Genus mattebox not the newer wideangle version in my picture. If you look at the Genus site you can see both versions Genus and this one Genus

Dan
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Chung View Post
Peer, Toenis is right but I believe that price is for the standard Genus mattebox not the newer wideangle version in my picture.
Dan, so how much was yours, including the matte box and french flag?

-- peer
Old March 16th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Dan is correct.

My Genus Kit (with base and rods) I got on eBay last summer for my EX1. It was $550 (matte box and rails system)... This was heavily discounted for a new kit since the seller was getting rid of the old stock. The bottom (grip) is Vanguard, from ebay for a couple of $$.

I hope this helps,
Old March 17th, 2009, 05:18 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven S. Miric View Post
Some parts missing (step ring, Hoodman 3",follow focus,...). All in time... All part but the mic were already in the inventory from my EX1 kit.
Steven, I'm curious to know how heavy your setup is when handheld. Have you yet shot long sessions with it handheld? To me, where the grip is located, it looks a bit forward balanced, or perhaps it's just the picture that gives that impression..?

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD