macro lens suggestions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 20th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #1
Wrangler

macro lens suggestions

I'm thinking of experimenting with some macro ideas and the 5D2, can anyone suggest some Nikon or Canon glass that would work for 1:1 shooting?

Thanks!
Old March 20th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Major Player

I like Zeiss 100mm F2 macro, it's 1;2 i believe.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

If you want to get advice from some folks that really really like to shoot macro...

I have the lens, but not the talent....

These guys can help...

Macro World - FM Forums
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hey Ray, great link, love FM, thanks!
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Zeiss 60 2.8 Makro 1:1 $360-475.
Gary Szunyogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2009, 12:22 AM   #6
Major Player

The considerations are:
  • Hand-hold-ability
  • Working distance (focal length)
  • Image quality
  • Magnification

Weight is one concern for hand-hold-ability.

Hand-holding is a big issue with video, as you can't stop action with flash or high shutter speeds.

It's an even *bigger* issue with the 5D2 because of the aliasing artifacts, which dance and twinkle with any movement.

That's compounded even more by the slow rolling shutter because even slight camera shake will cause noticeable skew.

All that is to say that hand-held macro is a big challenge on the 5D2. Tripod or macro-on-rails will be much easier.

The good news is that you can use diffraction as an anti-alias filter! That is, we're always cursing diffraction in macro, but this is one time you can actually be thankful for it.

If you don't need a lot of working distance, but you want hand-held, you may consider the shorter macro lenses such as the EF 55mm f/2.5 macro + 500D close-up, Sigma 50mm, or Sigma 70mm. The focal length is short enough that camera shake will not be an issue.

You might consider using an image stabilized telephoto lens with teleconverters, extension tubes, and close-up lenses to get a macro lens with lots of working distance and image stabilization to boot! For example, the Canon 70-200 f/4 L IS is perhaps the sharpest zoom lens ever made as well as the very latest 4-stop image stabilizer technology. Even after adding enough tubes/glass to get to 1:1, the image quality is still very good (there are examples around the web).

The Tamron 90mm f/2.8 for $360 after rebate is an amazingly sharp macro lens.

The Canon EF 100mm f/2.8, too, is great for only $470. Sigma sells a very highly recommended 150mm f/2.8 Macro for just $130 more.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD