Clear Choice for HDMI Monitor for 5D2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 20th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Clear Choice for HDMI Monitor for 5D2?

I just posted a question here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sdtv-hdtv...ml#post1030890
but I thought this forum might be a better place to start, since we're all using the same camera and have similar missions.

I need to have a monitor by the 28th, since i have a project I'm shooting then with my 5D2, and will have a DP and other people needing to view a monitor.

ALL suggestions will be most appreciated.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I guess that Ikan updated to HDMI... this is the older monitor...

IKanV8000HDe :: Digital Juice
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #3
New Boot

Marshall v-lcd70p-hdm

Marshall v-lcd70p-hdmi. A lot of cool features

Marshall V-LCD70P HD camera Monitor - dvcreators.network forums
Pete Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 03:55 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I haven't yet hooked up the 5D MkII HDMI output, but I understand that it devolves to 480 lines when recording. Given that, it seems that an HDMI monitor is overkill - unless used for reviewing footage. Also, isn't the output 4x3 during recording and Live View? An analog 4x3 monitor should do the trick for filming. For review, a regular HDTV would give a larger image that would show up flaws. Of course, you need AC power for the HDTV, but it doesn't need to be carted around with the camera as you shoot.
Old March 20th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Clear Choice For HDMI Monitor For 5D2 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I haven't yet hooked up the 5D MkII HDMI output, but I understand that it devolves to 480 lines when recording. Given that, it seems that an HDMI monitor is overkill - unless used for reviewing footage. Also, isn't the output 4x3 during recording and Live View? An analog 4x3 monitor should do the trick for filming. For review, a regular HDTV would give a larger image that would show up flaws. Of course, you need AC power for the HDTV, but it doesn't need to be carted around with the camera as you shoot.
I recently imported to Australia the Ikan V8000 HDMI kit + monitor arm and sun shade. B&H (UPS Freight @ US$390 + customs!!!) The end result, as you say, 480 lines when recording at 16X9. A total fizz.

What I have since discovered, a cheap 3in magnifying glass lens mounted in conduit tube with bracket, does a better job. Certainly more cost effective. I have used this approach with my EX1, it also works.
Ron Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

There are times when the monitor will help, and times when the magnifier will work. I have a cheap 19 HD monitor, a 200 7" portable monitor with battery pack, and the magnifier set up. I made one some weeks back and a picture of the sholder rig. It actually works very well. by the time the 16:9 SD monitor is chopped off at sides, your image is not much bigger than the LCD, and it resolves lower. And as for the 16:9 19 incher, I do have the HDMI cable now, but you actually get a bigger image through the composite cable...
Old March 20th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I bought a 19" Vizio 720p TV. Talk about cheap and has HDMI and composite inputs. Of course this only works when you have something to set it on and power.
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
A laptop with USB shows the full 1080p image while setting up and shooting. Surely there is some way to take advantage of that instead of the crippled HDMI output.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hahn View Post
A laptop with USB shows the full 1080p image while setting up and shooting. Surely there is some way to take advantage of that instead of the crippled HDMI output.
How is this possible? I've not heard of monitoring through USB on a laptop. That could be a solution when there is no power available.
Old March 20th, 2009, 09:55 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Franco View Post
How is this possible? I've not heard of monitoring through USB on a laptop. That could be a solution when there is no power available.
The standard Canon EOS software does it. You can also control the camera. The laptop battery can be swapped just like the camera's. The big display on the laptop is great except you see everything the lCD sees including the stupid white square. The viewer (director) can hide it in the corner with his mouse.

My only problem is in giving the director a replay of a scene. There is no way to play back the scene except to use the little LCD on the camera or move the CF card over, which is what I do now. Scenes are usually short and you can copy a scene at 4X rate.

I'm working on a kludge to be able to start viewing the scene immediately after putting the card in. My theory is that when the director thinks he has a good shot from watching the laptop screen live, I swap CF cards and give him the old one. Then he can decide to shoot or review himself.

The director can even put the shots he likes in folders organized the way he thinks. You could even drag them into an editor and watch rough cuts on the spot.
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:07 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Thanks Mark, I'm going to go try this out. I don't know why I was never aware of it before.
Old March 20th, 2009, 10:11 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Franco View Post
Thanks Mark, I'm going to go try this out. I don't know why I was never aware of it before.
I have been using Canon live-view USB tethered software for years. I did it without even thinking. Video is just an extension of the live-view.

I have found the video to be good, but I've never seen the video on one of these real monitors discussed on this thread. Let me know how it compares. I assume there is a delay, but the director wouldn't care.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:16 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Wow great idea. Do you think hooking a netbook top of laptop like a 10 dell mini would do the trick? I could fashion some kind of stand my tripod to put this smalll laptop on there .
William Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 12:41 PM   #14
Major Player

I tried t his the other night, after reading about it here.

It works on a desktop, so I'd guess it will work on a laptop, since it's only USB.
And since it IS only USB, the display is significantly reduced in frame rate.

To my eye,I'd guess I was getting about 12FPS update with a bit of a lag (as noted above).

As far as I know, USB just can't transfer that kind of data quickly enough for real-time.

On the plus side (for me), I hooked the HDMI from the camera into my 50" Panny, and was not offended by the 480p display. I think a nice little (inexpensive) monitor will be a benefit on most shoots that I do.
Matthew Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2009, 01:56 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Ugh too bad about the 12 fps.. If it was just a little more I think it would a perfect solution for a 5d II photog / videographer remote. Even at 12 fps i think it would be good enough for helping focus though. USB 2.0's bandwidth i would think should be enough for it.
William Chung is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD