DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5 D mk2 / Hoodman Hoodloup = steady shots (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/146806-5-d-mk2-hoodman-hoodloup-steady-shots.html)

Daniel Jackson April 4th, 2009 06:40 PM

Hoodman Strap

The Hoodman strap says one size fits all but has anyone used it with the battery grip attached?

Daniel Ridicki April 9th, 2009 12:23 AM

It works

I received my loupe yesterday and am very happy with it. And yes, it can be attached even with the battery pack snapped to a camera, and the attachment strings are not in the way when mounting the camera onto tripod. Works fine, especially for the people with spectacles (like myself) as there is diopter adjustment. I do not know how would I focus in exterior without this product.

Luc De Wandel April 27th, 2009 12:57 AM

Exact size please?

Can anyone, please, please measure the actual size of the Hoodloupe 3 frame? (the side that fits on the monitor). I've been trying to get an answer to this question in another thread on this forum, but to no avail! In centimeters preferably but inches will also do of course. I would like to use it on the monitor of my Sony HVR-Z7, but even on the Hoodman site the measurements are a well kept secret...

Wayne Avanson April 27th, 2009 05:32 AM

65mm across x 48mm deep is the internal measurements of the rubber bit that touches the camera. the rubber is about 3mm thick all round so add 6mm to the above figures for the outside measurements. hope this helps

Just got mine this morning and I have to say I am disappointed with it. The image seems dark and not sharp except for in the centre area. Is this how they are supposed to be? ill play with it more later and see if I can't get a better user experience with it.

hmm.

Luc De Wandel April 27th, 2009 06:40 AM

Thanks very much for the information, Wayne. From these measurements I understand that it will be a bit too small for my Z7's screen. That means it must be way too small for your 5D-smonitor, doesn't it? Anyway, probably I can cut small slits in the corners and bend the vertical parts a little outwards, so that I can see the full monitor screen.
I suppose most loupes will have soms unsharpness in the corners. Altough for the price, that should not be the case with the Hoodloupe...

Wayne Avanson April 27th, 2009 08:03 AM

It's actually spot on for the 5D2 screen Luc. The viewable area seems to be 65 x 43 mm

There is a hard plastic shell inside the rubber that touches the camera which you might have difficulty bending. I suspect it would break if you tried to bend it.

Anyone else any comments on this to help Luc?

Bruce G. Cleveland April 27th, 2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson (Post 1133849)
It's actually spot on for the 5D2 screen Luc. The viewable area seems to be 65 x 43 mm

There is a hard plastic shell inside the rubber that touches the camera which you might have difficulty bending. I suspect it would break if you tried to bend it.

Anyone else any comments on this to help Luc?

It fit my Mark II perfectly, but like Wayne I was very disappointed with how bad the picture looked. I sent mine back.

Bruce

Dan Brockett April 27th, 2009 12:53 PM

Bruce:

What specifically looked bad? Was it blurry, low contrast, etc.?

Dan

Wayne Avanson April 27th, 2009 03:27 PM

I'm finding it difficult to keep my eye against the Hoodloup in the 'bang on' centre where I can see if things are in focus on the screen. as soon as you start panning and tilting (using monopod at the moment for extra stability) things start to shift and it's difficult to see.

I appreciate it'll take some practice, but still, I expected to see pretty sharp pics quite easily. Maybe not too easily but certainly better than I'm finding it.

just my opinion.

Avey

Bruce G. Cleveland April 27th, 2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1134001)
Bruce:

What specifically looked bad? Was it blurry, low contrast, etc.?

Dan

I wouldn't say it was blurry, just generally not nearly as good an image as when you just look at the lcd screen.

Bruce

Wayne Avanson April 28th, 2009 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland (Post 1134158)
I wouldn't say it was blurry, just generally not nearly as good an image as when you just look at the lcd screen.

Bruce

Yeah, it's like it's suddenly a low res image or something

Odd

Dan Brockett April 28th, 2009 08:28 AM

Well that's no good. I think I am leaning toward the Z-Finder from Zacuto. I susupect that it will work very well as all of my Zacuto stuff does. Expensive? Yes but probably worth it. Unless the Hood Pro guy gets his act together and figures out how to fit the Hood Pro to the 5D MKII. That would be ideal.

Dan

Nigel Barker April 28th, 2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1134401)
Well that's no good. I think I am leaning toward the Z-Finder from Zacuto. I susupect that it will work very well as all of my Zacuto stuff does. Expensive? Yes but probably worth it. Unless the Hood Pro guy gets his act together and figures out how to fit the Hood Pro to the 5D MKII. That would be ideal.

Dan

Dan Chung already spotted that the $395 Z-Finder comprises a $150 Schneider loupe & an eye cup. For those who find the Hoodloupe optics unsatisfactory it may be a cheaper option to replace them with the Scheider part.

Dan Brockett April 28th, 2009 11:29 AM

Right, but it is that custom rubber part on the front of the loupe to mount it, the Velcro setup and the eyepiece rubber cup that make the Z-Finder worth it to me.

I know some guys have reverse engineered it and that is fine but where are you going to get that custom piece from? I doubt if Zacuto will sell it to you separately ;-) It is fine to purchase a Schneider 6x7 loupe but how do you space it for correct FOV of the LCD without that piece and how do you cleanly mount it? Also, the rubber eyepiece cup helps with eliminating stray light and making it more comfortable to use for long periods of time.

DIY costs money because it takes time, effort and more time. I will definitely not have time to DIY this, I go straight into production in May.

Dan

Luc De Wandel April 28th, 2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson (Post 1133849)

I now see the mistake I've been making: the 5D's screen is 4:3 while the Z7's is 16:9. That explains why the loupe will be a trifle too narrow for my camera. Anyway, I ordered one and I'll try to make it fit somehow. Thanks for the help!