5 D mk2 / Hoodman Hoodloup = steady shots - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:13 AM   #46
Inner Circle

I will have the Z-Finder on Wednesday, I will probably write an article on it once I have used it a bit. The Z-Finder IS a Schneider loupe, so I can't see what the difference would be other than the Z-Finder is already setup and ready to use and if you buy a Scheider loupe, you will have to engineer the front piece, mounting system and buy the eye cup separately.

The quality of the image should be identical because we know that the loupe portion of the Z-Finder is the Schneider loupe.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #47
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
I will have the Z-Finder on Wednesday, I will probably write an article on it once I have used it a bit. The Z-Finder IS a Schneider loupe, so I can't see what the difference would be other than the Z-Finder is already setup and ready to use and if you buy a Scheider loupe, you will have to engineer the front piece, mounting system and buy the eye cup separately.

The quality of the image should be identical because we know that the loupe portion of the Z-Finder is the Schneider loupe.

Dan
OK Dan, looking forward to hearing what you think of it. A bit wary of the (what seems to me, far too much) extra cost for the Z-finder over a stock Schneider. Maybe you can let us have your thoughts on whether Zacuto's fixin's are worth the extra dosh too.

Cheers

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #48
Regular Crew

Thanks Ray Bell for that useful suggestion about the LCD Pop-Up Screen Hood Shade Cover.

How does the cover mount on the 5D MKII? If I get a HoodLoupe and mount it on the cover you describe will I be able to quickly attach it to the 5DM2 and remove it at will?
Robert Esmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #49
Regular Crew

it mounts on the 5DMKII eyepiece... on the camera body you sqeeze the eye piece and
pull it up... takes a little effort, just sqeeze and rock it back and forth as you pull it up.

Then the Shade cover just slips onto the eyepiece slot...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #50
Regular Crew

Thanks Ray. Sounds like a great solution.
Robert Esmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #51
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Then the Shade cover just slips onto the eyepiece slot...
...and DIY finder attached to it would look something like that http://www.autonomicum.com/5DMKII/IMG_4937.JPG

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #52
Inner Circle

Toenis:

How in the heck did you get that wild finish on the loupe? Or is that your setup? Pretty cool and funky looking.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:29 AM   #53
New Boot

works for me

Just when i was about to get the Hoodloup 3 i stumbled on few bad reviews about it on this board.

having no other choice but to wait for the over priced Z finder,yesterday i walked into a store that carries the Hoodman,and after trying it i decided it works perfectly for me, no blurry side and out of focus to report.

i did get the $20 rubber band for now (i will figure out a better mounting way later) but even with that it works perfectly. defiantly helps with critical focus outdoors and by pushing the camera against my eye i was able to hold a very steady shot @ 200MM for a long while. (heavy 70-200 2.8 )

just my 2 cents.

my 5D montage: YouTube - 5d MK II montage

Last edited by Guy Jackson; May 7th, 2009 at 09:09 PM.
Guy Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #54
Inner Circle

I have been concerned by descriptions of poor quality optics on the Hoodman as I had ordered two (one for me & one for my wife) direct from the manufacturer. I needn't have worried as the Hoodmen arrived this week & the optics are fine, very clear in fact. The dioptre adjustment is excellent. I am short-sighted & usually have to remove my glasses & get my eye really close to the LCD screen to see the detail (not eye-piece close just 6"/15cm) but then I cannot see what I am filming except through the LCD without putting my glasses back on & then I can't see the LCD clearly. I can adjust the Hoodloupe so that I can now see to focus clearly with my glasses on.

The rubber-band affair to secure the Hoodman is a bit awkward but I have on order a couple of the LCD hoods & I am hoping that I can rig up something combining the hood with the Hoodman as using the viewfinder attachment should be far more secure & stable than the rubber bands.

I can't recall now who raised the question of poor optics on the Hoodman but wonder if the problem was with that particular example, maybe the Hoodman has changed designed or perhaps they didn't adjust it properly & it really was out of focus. Whatever the reason I can confirm that the optics are just fine. Maybe the Schneider/Z-Finder is better but it does come at a cost. The Hoodman is definitely not poor quality & is worthwhile for the price.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:31 PM   #55
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Does anyone know what the Z7 eyecup part number is and where can one order it from...

Incase some of you might want to mate the Sony HVr-Z7 eye piece to the hoodman...

the part number is 328859001 .... its not cheap though... $60 and that includes shipping.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD