5D2 + MultiRig Pro? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old March 31st, 2009, 06:50 AM   #1
Major Player

5D2 + MultiRig Pro?

Anyone using the 5D2 with DVTec's MultiRigPro? How does it balance and ease of shooting? I would love to know.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:18 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yang Wen View Post
Anyone using the 5D2 with DVTec's MultiRigPro? How does it balance and ease of shooting? I would love to know.
I tested it with the MultiRig last Friday and it's really nice.

http://www.holyzoo.com/content/dslr/...ultiRigPro.mov

This was using the Canon IS lens that gets kitted with the 5D. IS was on. I didn't spend more than 5 minutes practicing anything - I just slapped it on the MultiRig and hit record. Also, I did not have the belt on and didn't have the rod support thingy attached - this was a quick and dirty test.

So the footage, I admit - focus is awful, it's over exposed, and not decisive at all. But I am surprised at how steady it is at times. Walking is no good, but I tried it anyway. Certainly where it shines is holding a shot steady, and slowing framing. Focus pulling was a pain as always, but it's way easier than hand holding. I'm interested in hooking up my RedRock Micro FollowFocus to it, but ran out of time.

-steev
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:45 PM   #3
Major Player

Hey thanks. that footage looks very good. However, I wonder if the IS on the lens attributed mostly to the stillness of the shot? Does the MultiRig stabilize it well with the IS off? I'll be mainly using non-IS lenses and I'm noticing a lot of micro-shakes when handheld, and even when bracing my body against a wall.

How does the whole rig balance when you hold the MultiRig with one hand and attempt to focus with the other hand? Does it want to tip to one side?
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Major Player

Yes, the IS would be why the shot was steady even though I was walking around. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try without IS, or with my Nikon primes. But I'm certain that the MultiRig would stabilize shots far more consistently and more comfortably with the MultiRig, especially if holding the camera for longer than 10 minutes or so. The 5DMkII becomes surprisingly heavy after awhile when hand holding and trying to focus.

Regarding the rig balancing, I was able to swing one of the arms around to brace against my chest - it feels like the thing is strapped around you at that point - very solid. And I wasn't even using the rod support on the MultiRig. The potential is big.

Lastly, I learned right away that hand holding with a lens longer than 55mm focal length without IS, is a disaster. It's very shaky, and that might be acceptable, or repairable with post process stabilization, on an HDV or DVCPRO HD camera. But on the 5DMkII, it just destroys the image due to rolling shutter. That's when a tripod is mandatory.

One of my tests:
http://www.holyzoo.com/content/dslr/...onTest1Mbs.mov

-steev
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Major Player

Well, here's my ghetto attempt at a shoulder mount.. I probably will get a MultiRig.. but this is just to try out the shoulder position.. worked pretty well I must say..
Attached Thumbnails
5D2 + MultiRig Pro?-shouldermount.jpg  
Old April 5th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #6
New Boot

Funny, that's almost exactly what I have (Gorilla's SLR) sans Manf. head and it works for me
-TN

Quote:
Well, here's my ghetto attempt at a shoulder mount.. I probably will get a MultiRig.. but this is just to try out the shoulder position.. worked pretty well I must say..
Thi Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 08:11 AM   #7
Major Player

Those who are using the 5D2 with the MultiRigPro.. did you have to attach a quick release plate acceptor onto the MRP? Because the screw on the MRP has the double male tip, which is designed for video cameras and not the 5D2.. I couldn't figure out a way to remove the 2nd tip.
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:46 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Those who are using the 5D2 with the MultiRigPro.. did you have to attach a quick release plate acceptor onto the MRP? Because the screw on the MRP has the double male tip, which is designed for video cameras and not the 5D2.. I couldn't figure out a way to remove the 2nd tip.
I used a quick release plate as I already have one fitted semi-permanently on the 5DII to simplify switching between MRP, tripod, monopod, Glidetrack, elevated pole, crane etc
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Yang, Thanks for posting the picture of the ghetto attempt....

I was given a gift of the full metal version " Focus " and had never taken it out of the box Joby - Gorillapod Focus

took it out of the box this afternoon after seeing your ghetto attempt and it actually works very well...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD