stutter issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 1st, 2009, 09:47 AM   #1
Regular Crew

stutter issue

As some other folks here, I am also facing the stutter issue while playing 5D2 clips in Final Cut Pro.

This is my setup: Mac Pro 2 Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2.8 GHz, Memory: 6 GB, Final Cut Studio 2.

The issue is that all the pans and other camera movements causes stutter, but only when played in FCP 25fps timeline. As long as I stay in original 5D2 30 fps, there is no stuttering. Whatever method I sue to transcode the clips from 30 fps to 25 fps, it causes stutter, whether I use Compressor or MPEG Streamclip. Even MOV file from 5D2 will play nice in Quick Time Player, as long as I do not convert is to 25 fps.

Now, what I expected (obviously - wrongly) was that I will have slight slow motion when play 30 fps clips in 25 fps timeline, which would be fine for my project. I have normal speed with stutter instead.

Since I am totally fresh to both Apple and HD, I hope I am missing something, as I have seen a lot of beautiful films on Vimeo shoot with 5D2 and edited with FCP with 25 fps as output speed, with no stutter.

Also, I have Intensity pro card installed, and I have stutter even on external monitor.

Also, I have latest firmware in my 5D2.

Any help?
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 11:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Not sure about anyone else, but I find that EVERY SINGLE 5D2 video on Vimeo stutters from the 24p conversion they do. This is why I hate Vimeo for 5D2 video -- the only saving grace being that I can download the original file.

Beyond that, 30p > 24p conversion is in general going to suck no matter what you do. It's not to say some converters may do it better than others, but that conversion is pretty much the worst possible case scenario, 60i > 24p is way, WAY better, so that gives you an idea about how bad 30p > 24p is, LOL.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2009, 02:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Jokes told by Canon staff:

To get rid of the problem - well, somewhat:
Take your favorite white L zoom and a 9" nail and a hammer, a rug and a bit of oil and gasoline and make a Molotov out of it.
Now, throw it at you favorite Canon retailer just to remember that it wasnīt a mistake they made with 5D MKII - we are living in the world we ourselves have created.

All jokes aside I was holding an upper end point and shoot Canon in my hand and it had all the bells and whistles for video (I mean, in cam editing and even the same GUI as 5D), it was out well before the 5D MKII.
And still, at the Canon retailerīs they are telling me that no one gets it right in the first place - talking about 5D video.

So feel no guilt when prepairing your L zoom with oil and gasoline - those are at least weather sealed inside out too - so no health risks there till you fire it up.

Another more peaceful way would be using all manual lenses from the past and asking Canon representatives why 5D MKII has such a limited video mode - and if they answer you as they did in my case return to the L zoom Molotov solution I described above or just vent on the forums as I do in a damn ungraceful way.

T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 04:36 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hmmmm....

Thanks Toenis, but I am a bit too old to repeat 1968.... Had my fun then.... Today, I prefer drinking cocktails rather then throwing them towards cops... and I did change my mind on commerad Molotov as well... Perhaps they should all have had more sex and less revolutionary zealousness...

Still, isn't there any other experience like mine around? I just bought 5D2, shall I have to go for Nikon D90?
Old April 2nd, 2009, 05:57 AM   #5
Regular Crew

stuttering

Is it possible that you have too many programs running? My mac is a dual 2.4 and I notice a stutter. I have a beautiful dolly shot that stutters, but if I go back through the clip or start the clip on the problem spot the stutters move and appear later proving that the clip is fine but my machine is choking on all of the data.
Daniel Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:36 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Daniel

No, no other programs running. I have this machine for FPC Studio exclusively. It is just matter of 30 fps transcoded to 25 fps. And only when camera moves. Still clips with no movement are fine. Pity.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Regular Crew

If you start at a different point does it change where the stutters are?
Daniel Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Yes. It is not due to the comp specs, since unaltered MOV files plays well. And Intensity Pro should ensure fair playback, and it does not. Well, I knew what I was buying, just hoped it would serve better. I guess I will have to live with this, but I WILL be the first one to move to Nikon or other brand that will not protect its high end products by hampering another product of their own. Enough here has been said on Canon's strange logic to encourage their customers into buying Nikon adapters and use Nikon lenses. I heard rumors Nikon will launch 700 model with HD video and full manual control... I guess that day must come. And I guess there will be quite a few people rethinking their brand loyalty.
Daniel Ridicki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD