Should I wait or should I go...? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 5th, 2009, 09:40 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
The nice thing about shooting so wide is that you'll be able to do it handheld or with a simple shoulder stabilizer.
Then I assume this wide zoom Sigma 2.8 will work fine on a full frame:
Sigma - Lenses

Quote:
Now slip a mylar insulator between the camera and the lens, and the camera will no longer change the aperture on its own. This really simplifies control of the camera exposure settings.
Will this mylar hack still utilize the auto focus?

-- peer
Old April 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Then I assume this wide zoom Sigma 2.8 will work fine on a full frame:
Sigma - Lenses
Yes, that lens will work. However, I've owned a couple of Sigma lenses. Be aware that they let their lenses open wide for a reasonable price, but the performance of their lenses is often poor at wide apertures.

In other words, they offer great specs for the price, but the performance might be no better than a Nikon or Canon f/4 lens. If the corners get soft and dark at f/2.8, it might not be usable out there.

I'm not sure about this particular lens. Read some reviews and pay particular attention to wide-open performance. Note that the example image in the link above was shot at f/5.6.

Quote:
Will this mylar hack still utilize the auto focus?
Unfortunately, no. The inability to control aperture of Canon lenses is a huge problem. We lose not only autofocus, but image stabilization as well when we insert the mylar or untwist the lens. (Untwisting separates the connections, but you risk dropping the lens. Mylar is the safer alternative.)

I can understand Canon not allowing full manual control. At a minimum, they should let us control aperture. That would put them ahead of Nikon lenses as we can then use Canon's photo functions, IS and AF.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD