DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   What Matte Box or Filter Set? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/173569-what-matte-box-filter-set.html)

Steve Towle April 8th, 2009 05:35 AM

What Matte Box or Filter Set?

I'm trying to decide what to get for my 5d in terms of filters and matte boxes? I've read through Dan Chungs thread and some great choices of boxes there...

I'm not necessarily looking for the full pimped matte box and rails option as I'm concerned it will hinder me changing lenses or the zoom capabilities of say the 24-105L (the lens elongates when at 105mm). Will it?

I'm mainly looking for something that will allow me to use ND filters to cut out light and add them/remove them quickly as the situation changes. It's mainly weddings and corporate use, so a lot of run and gun stuff, and need quick changes of lenses.

I had looked at the Genus MatteBox and rails and looked brilliant, but how does it affect quick lens changes? Will it slow me down? If it's too much of a faff then I'll probably just go for a filter holder?

If the matte box just swung away or something then great, but if it requires constant mounting and dismounting then that would be a real pain.

I really like the look of the matte box and rails as it enhances the video look when using the camera (on my DV Multirig Pro) but I'm not going to splash the cash if it makes changing lenses difficult.

Any advice and suggestions very welcome?

thanks

Steve

Nigel Barker April 8th, 2009 06:12 AM

I have just taken delivery of this bargain matte box with French flag & side wings from the well known auction site. It is basically a Cokin P series adaptor with a matte box fixed to it. These Cokin filters are much cheaper than those in a screw filter mount so I have also ordered a selection. Up to three can be dropped into the filter holder. I haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet & I am still waiting for the filters to arrive that were ordered separately. It's reasonably well made, light & certainly makes the 5DII look the part of a serious video camera. I too have the Multirig Pro & that adds to the professional effect. It's an awful lot cheaper than any other matte box that I have seen except those Indian ones on eBay so worth a look. I will report back once I have had a chance to test it with the ND filters I ordered.

Matte Box with French Flag for all Camcorders @TOP@ on eBay, also, Caméras professionnelles, Caméscopes, Caméras, Photo, Caméscopes (end time 02-Apr-09 17:57:13 BST)

Cheers

Nigel

Steve Towle April 8th, 2009 09:23 AM

Cheers Nigel,

Does it interfere with lens changeovers? ANy plans to use it with rails?

Do report back once you have put it all together.

Anyone have any comments, I am particularly interested in the Genus matte box and my concerns above? thanks

Steve

Gregory Storm April 8th, 2009 10:03 AM

Is the main reason for the matte box to create a "professional look" of your rig or is it for function? It you're trying to create the look, then why spend that much on the matter box. There are a lot of cheaper choices. If it's for function, I would imagine that it would be easier to carry and screw on a 77mm ND filter than it would be to carry around a case of 4x4 filters.

Zacuto makes a piece called a Zwing-away that turns any matte box into a swing away matte box. I don't know how much it costs but you could take a look at that.

Good luck.

Steve Towle April 8th, 2009 10:04 AM

is this going to be a piece of crud?

I know it's cheap.... I guess I can expect the reply...

Follow focus+ mattebox + rail for D90 canon 5d mark II on eBay, also, Other, Professional Video Equipment, Cameras Photo (end time 13-Apr-09 04:38:24 BST)

Steve Towle April 8th, 2009 10:11 AM

I suppose it's mainly function but a 'little' of what it looks like too? Adding a Matte Box does seem to improve the 'cinema' look and differentiate me from the photographer at various events... Then again the DV Multirig pro will do that also.

If I were to go with ND filters, any recommendations. .3, .6 or .9.... or one of each?

I think I'm edging towards a screw on filter, and save my money for a follow focus and rails....

Any views?

Steve

Jon Fairhurst April 8th, 2009 12:10 PM

I'm wondering if a matte box doesn't help with a consistent look.

For instance, I found that the Tiffen Soft/fx #1 does nothing at all for video anti-aliasing for 5D video with a 24mm lens, but with a 105mm, it's a bit too much. It might be just right on an 85mm lens, but...

It seems to me that it's not just a matter of the focal length, but also depends on the length of the lens. If you put a given softening filter close to the camera, the image circle on that filter will be smaller than if you move the filter away from the camera. When close, the filter effects will be large. Move it away and the filter effects will be smaller.

With a matte box, you can keep the distance between the camera and filter constant. You'll still have a different filtering effect with a wide lens, compared to a telephoto, but if you use two different lenses with the same focal length (maybe a zoom/prime/macro/rental), your filter will have the same effect on the final image.

Steve Towle April 8th, 2009 12:20 PM

On the topic of ND's.... the 5d seems to love f16 in bright conditions, what ND would I need to get that identical scene to drop down to 5.6? I take it the camera is stuck at f22/f16/f5.6 and lowest aperture of lens? f16 to f5.6 is a big jump huh!

Steve

Nigel Barker April 9th, 2009 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Towle (Post 1066834)
Does it interfere with lens changeovers? ANy plans to use it with rails?

It cannot be used with rails. The way it works is that it uses the Cokin P system where an adaptor ring screws to the lens instead of a screw-on filter & then a filter holder clips over the adaptor ring. Up to 3 glass filters drop into the filter holder. COKIN Creative System - The Holder System - Standard Holder & Pro Holder - A/P/Z/X Series This matte box has been fixed to the Cokin adaptor. The adaptor rings come in a variety of sizes to suit the different size lenses. The simplest plan is to leave an adaptor ring on each lens & then swapping the matte box onto the new lens will be quicker than fitting a screw-on filter.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Towle (Post 1066834)
I am particularly interested in the Genus matte box and my concerns above?

That Genus matte box looks awfully shallow. I am sure that it holds filters OK but does it really work to keep stray light off the lens?

Cheers

Nigel

Nigel Barker April 9th, 2009 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Towle (Post 1066963)
is this going to be a piece of crud?

I know it's cheap.... I guess I can expect the reply.

It doesn't look that cheap to me at around 500 Euros versus 100 Euros for my cheap matte box. On the other hand it does have rails & follow focus so we are not really comparing like for like. The eBay Indian gear is OK by all accounts if a little too rugged & functional for some tastes. The prices are certainly interesting. They do sell a simple matte box more cheaply & here is another one that takes 4"x4" filters WIDE ANGLE MATTE BOX/FRENCH FLAG/LENS RING/FILTER TRAYS on eBay, also, Lenses Filters, Camcorder Accessories, Photography (end time 24-Apr-09 12:42:26 BST)

Cheers

Nigel