DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5D MKII tilting viewfinder concept! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/174580-5d-mkii-tilting-viewfinder-concept.html)

Toenis Liivamaegi April 8th, 2009 12:32 PM

5D MKII tilting viewfinder concept!

As I was playing around with my DIY-hoodloupe-on-roids an idea came across my mind:
If I take two 90 degree spy lenses and screw them together I can ofset the image from camera LCD and if I fix an eyepiece to the other end I'll get a tiling hoodloupe-kind-of gadget also known as tilting viewfinder.
This could also work with an angle finder (from mid format cam) on the other end of a spy lens but I don't know if the image will be big enough and not mirrored to one or to the other side.

I have one spy lens laying aound somewhere, must test the concept.

What do you think?
T

Mike McCarthy April 8th, 2009 04:27 PM

If you twist between the two 90 degree angles, the visible image will rotate, which I doubt is the effect you are looking for.

Simone Maurice April 8th, 2009 06:33 PM

I stumbled upon this a while back and maybe this or something like it might be helpful... LCD Protector and Angle Viewfinder for Digital Cameras - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS

Bill Binder April 10th, 2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simone Maurice (Post 1068610)
I stumbled upon this a while back and maybe this or something like it might be helpful... LCD Protector and Angle Viewfinder for Digital Cameras - FLIPBAC INNOVATIONS

Thank you so much for linking that. I've been envisioning something EXACTLY like that ever since I got my 5D2. That is PERFECT!

Steev Dinkins April 10th, 2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simone Maurice (Post 1068610)

I had also thought of using a mirror to achieve different angles. I actually had purchased one for for use with a 35mm adapter on the HVX200 LCD. Beware, most mirrors have ghosting which makes focusing a torturous guessing game. To remedy, I had purchased one from an optics shop without any ghosting. However, as you can imagine, it flips the image - which ultimately is too difficult to use.

Which leads me to the main question about the flipbac. I'd assume it flips your image which will prove to be awful for real time video framing. And are they using an optical grade mirror?

Toenis Liivamaegi April 11th, 2009 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike McCarthy (Post 1068277)
If you twist between the two 90 degree angles, the visible image will rotate, which I doubt is the effect you are looking for.

So we got to test with one fixed 90deg spy scope or plain First Surface Mirror and an angle finder like Mamiya N for 645 (as it sees bigger picture than ordinary 35mm ones.
Does anyone have any experience with a rotating angle finder? how does the image get through it and will it too rotate when you rotate the finder? I assume those are prism based rather than FSM.

Somehow it works in real movie camera setup which is using half mirror and a prism.

Steev, sure any mirror mentioned must be optical first surface mirror as any other will give bad ghosting. But those spy angle scopes are fortunately using FSM at 90deg angle and are available from $18 at the bay but as Mike said a pair won´t work.

About image rotation: mirror at LCD right side (top view) flips left to right and an angle finder flips it?

Any thoughts?

T

Yeo Wee Han April 12th, 2009 10:02 PM

The FLipBac is a great idea but it will be pain to use for normal shooting where I may review after 3 to 4 shots....the cover will need to be opened and close all the time so I will not be getting it.

Cheers

Weehan

Bill Binder April 13th, 2009 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yeo Wee Han (Post 1085771)
The FLipBac is a great idea but it will be pain to use for normal shooting where I may review after 3 to 4 shots....the cover will need to be opened and close all the time so I will not be getting it.

Cheers

Weehan

Agreed. Once I saw that, I wasn't as excited anymore. They should make it removable somehow.