Impressions - my first movie at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Impressions - my first movie

hey everybody, first i wanna thank you all. this forum and a lot of reading your threads helpīs me a lot to know what i can do with my 5D MK II and what i cant.

at the end of testing i thought: go out and do a video from beginning, to cutting, to converting etc.. and that helps me much more finding out wich technikes working for me.

what i really hate is the stuttering sometimes and the automode of the 5D.
here is my result of one night working with my brandnew camera:

Impressions on Vimeo

best

tristan ladwein

creativity counts :)
Tristan Ladwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 01:26 PM   #2
New Boot

Thanks for sharing. Nice job first time out with the camera. I am looking at the 5D myself.
Old April 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Major Player

Is the stuttering seen when playing the footage in your NLE, or just when played on Vimeo? Vimeo is well known for not-so-smooth playback, especially when transcoding to its native 24fps playback.
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #4
New Boot

stuttering

thanks for your comments :) //my english is not THAT good so sorry when i didnt get the right words// LOL

i load all the footage to a external hard drive with firewire 800 and work with that disk.
but also there is the stuttering when i play the file. mostly when you shoot from a very bright area to a dark area. the stuttering comes from the automode or from the lens - i dont know exactly (i using a canon 50mm f1,8). at the end from my movie i did a shoot from a caroussel to the moon - and it took me minimum 10 shoots to get a version with only 1 small stutter :(

i thought it will be go away when i converted in a FCP friendly 422 prores file. ok, the stuttering is a little bit smoother - but still there. i found out that when you play all the files in FCP then its smoother than in Quicktime.

so thats why the most movies shoot with the 5D are whitout moving the camera a lot.

its nothing new - canon have to do something on that! hopefully with the next firmware update?

cheers

tristan

Last edited by Tristan Ladwein; April 11th, 2009 at 03:19 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old April 11th, 2009, 05:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Odd, I haven't had any stuttering on my 5D2.

Maybe you need faster CF cards? just an idea.

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 06:25 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I am not quite sure what you are referring to as stuttering but when filming video it is better not to leave the automode operating. There is no way to switch off automode but you can lock the exposure for that shot by pressing the * button so you do not get the auto-ISO/aperture/shutter operating when you move from very bright to dark.

Cheers

Nigel
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #7
New Boot

thx nigel - your right. i have to test this on my next movie :)

i uses a extreme 3 (40mb sec) CF card so thats not the problem i think.

greetz

tristanhood
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Ladwein View Post
thx nigel - your right. i have to test this on my next movie :)

i uses a extreme 3 (40mb sec) CF card so thats not the problem i think.

greetz

tristanhood
According to this article, you need a card capable of at least 5.2M bytes per second for video.:

"The specified 38 megabits max bitrate is for video only, you have to add the audio bitrate (70.34 KiB).
With a video bitrate up to 41.5 megabits per second (equals 5.2 megabytes per second), any card that can write 5.2 megabytes per second should be perfectly suitable for video with the 5D, as long as you never take stills during your videos. UDMA capability or higher read speeds are only useful to dump your footage on the computer."

I wonder, however, if your problem may be with zooming while shooting video? If your lens is not a constant aperture across the entire zoom range, the camera will have to do additional calculations and change the aperture as you zoom. Others on this forum have noted that this causes stuttering in their video.

Julian
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:21 PM   #9
New Boot

Wow

thats a nice tip - julian - maybe thats solve a problem for somebody.
BUT
i got two cf cards. one that r/w 15MB sec and a another one with r/w 40MB sec
so thats not my problem when you say that a card with 5,2MB sec would be enough, mmh..

and for this video i didnt zoom - just panning in the last shot.

anyway, the article you post takes me one step further to solve other problems :)

nothing but love

tristanhood
Old April 12th, 2009, 11:00 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristan Ladwein View Post
i got two cf cards. one that r/w 15MB sec and a another one with r/w 40MB sec so thats not my problem when you say that a card with 5,2MB sec would be enough, mmh.
I think you'll find your cards are 15 mega BITS and 40 mega BITS per second, not 15 mega BYTES and 40 mega BYTES.

15 mb/s is 1.8 mega bytes per second (15/8=1.8)
40 mb/s is 5 mega bytes per second (40/8=5)

Julian
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #11
New Boot

Ooh

i didnt know that, ups. yes thats what i thought, errrrmmm...

thank you very much

but hey - because of you i maybe found a solution for the stuttering :)

love

tristanhood
Tristan Ladwein is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD