What is primary feature of 5DMKII HD Movie or Still? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 11th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #1
Major Player

What is primary feature of 5DMKII HD Movie or Still?

Hello!

I have one question for everybody who takes part in this forum. Question is that what is primary feature of 5DMKII, HD Movie or Still? Canon 5DMKII actually is DSLR but people are I guess using this camera as video camera more! How is still performance of this cam?

Now those days have gone, that we were having separate camera one for video and one is still! This 5DMKII and Nikon D90 are example of that!

But there is no doubt this 5DMKII is stunning performer, 1080P is just incredible!

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 05:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Kaushik nice to see you here.

There isn't really a primary use I guess. It really depends on what the user needs it for.
As a designer who does photography, the quality of the huge 21.1 megapixels images coupled with the full frame sensor and the superb processor means I have the best solution to my photography needs.

But equally as a video maker, to be able to capture high quality 1080p video (especially at this price) means I'm super happy with that side of things also.

Check this that I saw last night on Vimeo if you need convincing.

EventDV TV // 5D Reel on Vimeo

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 06:20 AM   #3
Inner Circle

It is a stills camera created by Canon's stills camera division. The primary purpose is taking still photos & most of the functionality of the camera is directed to that end. That's why in a manual of over 200 pages there are just around 6 pages on taking movies. However it has a really nice video feature that because of among other things the superb lenses available & the full frame sensor you can create some incredibly good 1080p video. This video feature is definitely secondary though as there is so much omitted that would have been there if video were the primary focus of the camera not least manual control of aperture, shutter speed, gain etc.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The 5DMKII from a stills performance camera beats out the top Canon 1DsMKIII....

From a video perspective on DSLR.. its the best camera in the world at this time.

So from a stills/video DSLR it is the best on the planet at this time frame...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #5
New Boot

It is hard to argue with any of the points so far.

One of the best still cameras in the world and one of the best (if not the best) video camera in the under $5000 range. Granted, it isn't fully automatic, but those who complain about that may not be the right candidate for this camera. There are TONS of videos coming out that will knock your socks off! (Check my blog and wiki for examples)

Even the rig designers are going crazy over this thing - making it easy for indie filmmakers to produce great films for under $10k in equipment.

Oh, and stills? Tons of great samples too
Mitch Aunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

It all depends on what you shoot. For me, the primary feature is video. For a photographer, the primary function is photos.

It's in the eye of the beholder.
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
Hi Kaushik nice to see you here.

There isn't really a primary use I guess. It really depends on what the user needs it for.
As a designer who does photography, the quality of the huge 21.1 megapixels images coupled with the full frame sensor and the superb processor means I have the best solution to my photography needs.

But equally as a video maker, to be able to capture high quality 1080p video (especially at this price) means I'm super happy with that side of things also.

Check this that I saw last night on Vimeo if you need convincing.

EventDV TV // 5D Reel on Vimeo

Avey
Avey!

Thanks! I hope you are enjoying your 5DII. I have gone through given link, it just stunning as usual, I am strongly believed that this camera would be more used for 1080P feature. Just incredible movie it is producing! I have seen so many videos, to me and for others also this camera is stunning product in terms of video part.

I guess Canon would have never thought that this 5DII will get great response for video quality!

I am only concerned about bow would be easy to shoot video while gripping it, I mean dedicated video camera have different grip to hold and this DSLR have different shape and design. What I will do is I will shoot some video on my Fuji S9000, will see how convenient to shoot video with DSLR! But I am sure mostly people are using tripod for this camera.

How you shoot video with this camera?

I am waiting for good movie from you with this 5DII.

Kaushik
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
It is a stills camera created by Canon's stills camera division. The primary purpose is taking still photos & most of the functionality of the camera is directed to that end. That's why in a manual of over 200 pages there are just around 6 pages on taking movies. However it has a really nice video feature that because of among other things the superb lenses available & the full frame sensor you can create some incredibly good 1080p video. This video feature is definitely secondary though as there is so much omitted that would have been there if video were the primary focus of the camera not least manual control of aperture, shutter speed, gain etc.
Yes, indeed it is DSLR, but I am afraid main feature is still but mostly video feature here become primary!

And I am sure those days have now gone wherein we use to keep separate camera one for still and one for movie!

Am I right, sure those days have gone? It seems to me yes!

Kaushik
Old April 11th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Aunger View Post
It is hard to argue with any of the points so far.

One of the best still cameras in the world and one of the best (if not the best) video camera in the under $5000 range. Granted, it isn't fully automatic, but those who complain about that may not be the right candidate for this camera. There are TONS of videos coming out that will knock your socks off! (Check my blog and wiki for examples)

Even the rig designers are going crazy over this thing - making it easy for indie filmmakers to produce great films for under $10k in equipment.

Oh, and stills? Tons of great samples too
Thanks for still sample link, truely this camera produce great stills!

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD