Which follow focus for 5DII? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 12th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which follow focus for 5DII?

What are the top recommendations out there? The Redrock FF looks like good bang for the buck. How does the Zacuto compare? Or the Chrosziel?
I'm using Nikon lenses, mostly primes.
Peter Chang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 10:37 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I use the indifocus system. It works fine with my rig. I use it with my 5dmk2 and my ex1.
Winston Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've got the Red Rock, it's pretty decent but not reversible if you need to pull focus from the right hand side of the camera. There are a bunch of new FF units on the market, I would do your research. The RR used to be the best bang for the buck, not positive it still is, there are new ones from Cinevate, Petroff, etc.

In my experience, you get what you pay for. I wouldn't even use a FF unless you have a focus puller, if I am shooting alone, I just use the lens.

FFs are for film making, not run and gunning, they are a PITA when you change lenses.

Dan
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #4
New Boot

FreshDV website has the video review the number of popular FF including the Red-Rock one.
ProVideo Coalition.com: FRESHDV by Matthew Jeppsen & Kendal Miller
-TN
Thi Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thi Ng View Post
FreshDV website has the video review the number of popular FF including the Red-Rock one.
ProVideo Coalition.com: FRESHDV by Matthew Jeppsen & Kendal Miller
-TN
They review the original indiFocus from 2007. The new one is totally revamped. They seem to have specifically addressed the numerous problems in that review.
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 08:53 AM   #6
Major Player

I am going with Cinevate's new Durus follow focus. It has a lifetime warranty and the quality and smoothness are supposed to be out of this world. It looks cool too.
Steve Witt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I've got the RedRock and bought the indifocus rails to save money and I am happy with both. The carbon fiber rails were $100 plus I added a bogen/manfrotto video plate for about $60. The optional reversing gear on the RedRock FF makes the unit taller and works well if you intend on using the battery grip.
Daniel Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
I've got the RedRock and bought the indifocus rails to save money and I am happy with both. The carbon fiber rails were $100 plus I added a bogen/manfrotto video plate for about $60. The optional reversing gear on the RedRock FF makes the unit taller and works well if you intend on using the battery grip.
I'm getting an Indifocus setup. Where did you get the Manfrotto video plate? Is it really needed for my Manfrotto sticks?
Mark Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

No, you don't need it to mount to your tripod. I added the quick release plate so that getting the camera off and onto the rails was easier, also it allows for the camera to move forward and backwards to balance for a fluid head. You don't really need it, it's more a matter of convenience and it allows you to tighten everything down. The unit I bought was the manfrotto 577
Daniel Jackson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD