INSANE render and export times, accurate? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 14th, 2009, 10:22 PM   #16
Major Player

Using MPEG Streamclip has given me a smooth workflow. I batch export all my clips to Quicktime using XDCAM HD1080p 30 for compression. In FCP timeline sequence, I use the same setting, I do color corrections using apple w/out rendering it, adding dissolves, and also use Magic Bullet and rendering is normal. As what I have learned, using this method gives you smaller files w/high quality video compared to Prores.

Last edited by Rickey Brillantes; April 14th, 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Once clarified you have to transcode your footage if you want to edit it properly, please let's not start a "who's using the strangest codec" competition.

If you are on Mac and use FCP, the codecs you should be transcoding to are either Apple Intermediate Codec (only option on FC Express) or even better Apple ProRes.

Once transcoded to ProRes, your ability to color correct will be much better!
Xavier Plagaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 01:54 AM   #18
Major Player

Rendered to ProRes and fixed a setting on the timeline. All is fine (except for the long transcode). I can live with it for the image quality I'd be getting.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:19 PM   #19
New Boot

What kind of loss do you get if you transcode it to something like DVCPRO HD 30p compared to Prores (which should be lossless)?

I made a custom compressor setting, with dvcpro hd, 29,97fps, 1080p. But I haven't reaaally used it all that much yet for something important. Is the loss of information huge or?

Edit: Oh and by the way do you guys experience Compressor crashing a lot when handling the 5d2 footage?
Lars T. Therkildsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2009, 04:25 PM   #20
Major Player

Lars,

I don't have compressor crash at all when working with 5D footage.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD