DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5d stabilisation / MultiRigPro (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/203462-5d-stabilisation-multirigpro.html)

Jeremy Nicholl April 16th, 2009 06:34 AM

5d stabilisation / MultiRigPro

Has anyone tried using the 5D on a MultiRigPro?

As a stills photographer I do a lot of street work, preferably as quickly and discreetly as possible. I’d like to be able to do the same with video on the 5D, and I’m aware I need some stabilisation, but I’d like to keep as low profile as possible. A lot of the rigs appearing seem determined to make the camera look as important and movie-like as possible, which to me is a disadvantage: I want stability, but I’d trade some of that for discretion.

I tried a PAG Orbitor and it seemed to work, but it’s bigger and more obvious looking than I’d like. I’ve looked at the Bushhawk, but rigs that resemble firearms make me a bit nervous.

The MRP looks interesting though. It seems to pack up very small, and since I travel a lot that’s a big advantage. I’m in the UK for a week or so, and I’d hoped to find a dealer here and see how it works, but it seems there are no distributors here. There’s supposedly one in Moscow, where I’m usually based, but they’re way overpriced and don’t keep it in stock anyway.

So has anyone any MRP/5D experiences they can share? Or any alternative suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy Nicholl

Yang Wen April 16th, 2009 08:50 AM

I asked the same question a few weeks ago.. A guy was nice enough to post a quick video form the MRP... do a search in the 5D forum and you'll find the thread..

My MRP is arriving today.. I'll be shooting a promo video this weekend for a friend's music performance website so I'll be on location at a wedding and shooting amongst a raucous crowd.. I'll post some thoughts and videos from that

Jeremy Nicholl April 16th, 2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 1099845)
I asked the same question a few weeks ago.. A guy was nice enough to post a quick video form the MRP... do a search in the 5D forum and you'll find the thread..

My MRP is arriving today.. I'll be shooting a promo video this weekend for a friend's music performance website so I'll be on location at a wedding and shooting amongst a raucous crowd.. I'll post some thoughts and videos from that

Thanks very much for that. I'd missed the original thread, very helpful.

Jeremy Nicholl

Nigel Barker April 17th, 2009 01:35 AM

I have a Multirig Pro which is a wonderful piece of equipment but I have been thus far too shy to use it for shooting anything in the street as it would just draw far too much attention. Using a monopod is far more discreet, does a good job & is cheap to boot. I like the Manfrotto 561BHDV as it has 3 short feet at the bottom of the pole that make it far more stable than the pole alone which can tend to skate over surfaces like cobbles. It pivots on that foot so you can tilt & pan from the base as well as the fluid head. In addition the 24-105 F4L IS USM lens does an awfully good job of image stabilisation for hand held video work & is a great combination with a monopod.

Cheers

Nigel