Canon Comments on 5D Enhancements, Kind Of... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:39 AM   #16
Major Player

Still cam first no doubt. But keep in mind that Canon has a booth at NAB with two demo 5D Mark II video rigs loaded up with RedRock, Zacuto, Ikan, and Cinevate gear.

Obviously Canon is changing how they look at it, and now endorse what we are doing. The important thing is that they understand.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:52 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lipats View Post
Obviously Canon is changing how they look at it, and now endorse what we are doing. The important thing is that they understand.
Yes indeed, and Canon will probably enhance the video by a firmware update through new hardware so we have to buy a new version of the camera in order to get manual controls. Makes sense to me, (even if I'd rather like to see a firmware fix for the MKII).

-- peer
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:57 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Overall I would be very suprised if there were that many folks who are shunning the Canon Lenses for the Nikon Lenses...
some other sites are reporting that Canon is having a hard time keeping up with some of the lenses popularity and some lenses are in short supply....

The only thing that using a Nikon lens gives you is manual control of the aperture.... the
picture quality isn't any better by using a Nikon over a Canon lens.. in fact in some situations
its just the oposite.

But other enhancements are also being given up by using a Nikon lens with adaptor....

A Canon lens is easy to control the aperture manually by using a simple varible ND filter...

Also, by using a Canon lens you gain the extra sensitivity of the focus sensors, the
ability of auto focus in both still mode and the single hit auto focus in video mode and
the auto aperture adjustments when you want to go all auto.

I have a couple of Nikon lenses that I have played with on my 5D but they were purchased
for use on my 35mm adaptor for my Canon Video Camera... my Canon lenses on my 5D
do much more for me than any of my Nikons could ever do on the 5D... plus I know
I'm getting better quality pictures than I could with the Nikons...

The only manual lens I'm considering now for my 5D is the 50mm Zeiss... may have
to get one of those as I see advantages with that lens over the Canon or Nikon lenses.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:13 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Yes indeed, and Canon will probably enhance the video by a firmware update through new hardware so we have to buy a new version of the camera in order to get manual controls. Makes sense to me, (even if I'd rather like to see a firmware fix for the MKII).

-- peer
Who knows! However, it is the 5D Mark II on the floor presented by Canon as professional video equipment. They are advertising it as a video camera. Maybe I am too optimistic but I think this means they are not done with it yet.

At least, I'm not ready to give up. I have not looked at my other camcorders the same ever since I got it. Maybe I'm nuts but they almost seem tainted and obsolete.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:19 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
A Canon lens is easy to control the aperture manually by using a simple varible ND filter...
But what would you rather get; a vari ND filter that cost almost $400, or half a dozen used Nikon lenses..?

-- peer
Old April 23rd, 2009, 09:34 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
They are advertising it as a video camera. Maybe I am too optimistic but I think this means they are not done with it yet.
Well, they are certainly not done with this format, i.e., HD-DSLR for professional video. However, I believe the MKII was more like a probe to find out how and if this format will fly -- and now, when it really did take off, Canon will probably move forward with a new series of HD-DSLR cameras, leaving the MKII behind. This relates to a previous post of mine: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...n-my-part.html

-- peer
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:06 AM   #22
Major Player

The fact is, 5D2 video shooters who opted for Nikon lenses off of ebay instead of a handful of L lenses represents a tiny percentage of potential Canon lens' customer base. Not even enough to make a dent.

I hope the rumors are true, but wouldn't be surprised if they are not.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:15 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
But what would you rather get; a vari ND filter that cost almost $400, or half a dozen used Nikon lenses..?

-- peer
Here's the thing, even when you gain aperture control via manual lenses, you may STILL NEED the NDs. Say you want shallow depth of field on a bright sunny day outdoors, manual aperture doesn't get you there.

This is one of the things that frustrates me a little, the call for aperture priority, cause I think what would be much more helpful in a lot of ways would be SHUTTER priority to gain a consistent look and feel. After that, use some NDs and you can get to the aperture you need. That said, I'd personally prefer full manual.
Bill Binder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 10:30 AM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
Here's the thing, even when you gain aperture control via manual lenses, you may STILL NEED the NDs.
Yes of course, but you don't need a $400 Singh-Ray vari-ND filter for that, as we were discussing here.

-- peer
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:03 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Binder View Post
Here's the thing, even when you gain aperture control via manual lenses, you may STILL NEED the NDs. Say you want shallow depth of field on a bright sunny day outdoors, manual aperture doesn't get you there.

This is one of the things that frustrates me a little, the call for aperture priority, cause I think what would be much more helpful in a lot of ways would be SHUTTER priority to gain a consistent look and feel. After that, use some NDs and you can get to the aperture you need. That said, I'd personally prefer full manual.
I agree, all good points.

If I lock the aperture at F/5.6, it seems like it favors keeping the shutter fairly constant in the range of 1/40th-1/50th, by manipulating the ISO speed. As you stated, ND will likely be needed.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:12 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Or M42, or OM or Y/C mounts. There's quite a few options for manual lenses. Adapting other mounts to EOS has been going on for many years. Nikon lens users have been using full-frame Canon DSLR's for many years... they didn't have any choice till recently.

Keep in mind that many older Nikon lens will _NOT_ fit current Nikon DSLR's except for certain cheaper models like the D40. Pre-AI lens will crush the metering prong on most modern Nikon bodies if you try to mount it. Those same lenses fit perfectly on an F-mount -> EOS adapter.
Kin Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM   #27
Inner Circle

In another thread, testing of the auto shutter showed some interesting results. I summarized the testing result at post 87 at the link below. The tests showed that at any over 100 ISO (0r ISO 200 in one particular mode), the camera defaulted to a nominal 1/30 of a second shutter speed and it doesn't matter what you do.

On top of that, you cannot depend on the read out for actual shutter speed. The tests showed actual speeds as follows:

LCD -> Actual
Reads

1/40 -> 1/50
1/50 -> 1/50 or 1/100
1/60 -> 1/100
1/80 -> 1/100
1/100 -> 1/100
1/125 -> 1/125
1/160 -> 1/160
1/200 -> 1/200

Here is site:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1058676-post87.html
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:34 AM   #28
Trustee

Chris, the readout you're referring to that doesn't read correctly is the one on the color LCD screen?

I think the only way I was able see a readout at all (in movie mode) was pressing the * button (exposure lock) from the live view screen, and it displayed a shutter speed and iso. The aperture I already knew because it was locked.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
That's not true. Canon does add features through firmware from time to time. Please correct me if I am mistaking but I think the most recent feature addition was last month. The SX1 got a firmware update adding support for RAW.
And today Canon actually released new firmware: Canon updates firmware for EOS 50D, 450D & 1000D: Digital Photography Review

Oooh sooo close, but no cigar ;^)

-- peer
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:39 AM   #30
Wrangler

Quote:
Who knows! However, it is the 5D Mark II on the floor presented by Canon as professional video equipment.
Not really. It is simply being presented. Only one bullet on the features poster says 1080p @ 30 frames; the rest advertise the still photo capability. Yes, they had two 5DmII's with 3rd party rigs at the Canon booth (and others without), just like they have a variety of 3rd party stuff and even vendor reps around the XL and XH cameras. Canon absolutely hears the customer feedback but there was simply nothing at the NAB booth to indicate whether or not a substantial firmware upgrade is in the works or not.

Even in the still camera world, the "1" series is the Professional line with a capital P. The "5" series as marketed more as enthusiast/low-pro.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD