DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Canon Comments on 5D Enhancements, Kind Of... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/226036-canon-comments-5d-enhancements-kind.html)

Jon Carr April 22nd, 2009 08:45 AM

Canon Comments on 5D Enhancements, Kind Of...

FreshDV has some great videos on their site from NAB. This one includes a visit to the Canon booth.

http://www.freshdv.com/2009/04/nab-2009-dslr-3d.html

Peer Landa April 22nd, 2009 10:51 AM

Watching that interview makes me suspect that Canon perhaps will rather update the firmware through new hardware -- i.e., that we have to buy a new version of the camera in order to get manual controls.

-- peer

Chris Barcellos April 22nd, 2009 11:07 AM

That is what they said in recent post from support, Canon does not add features through firmware updates.

With recent announcement by Beachtek of their solution to the 5D sound issue, and Nikon lenses, the contol issues are reduced to ISO and shutter speed. Both are predictable and modifiable with work arounds, and perhaps that is the best we are going to see.

Of course that doesn't resolve monitoring issues either, but with Canon apparent lack of concern about making it right, at least we know where we have to go independent of them.

Peer Landa April 22nd, 2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1124612)
That is what they said in recent post from support,

Do you happen to have that post?

-- peer

Chris Barcellos April 22nd, 2009 11:19 AM

This is thread. I directly inquired at Canon support and they responded with what I called the official party line:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...ml#post1044829

Funny, the guy in the video and this guy are both named Erik.

Peer Landa April 22nd, 2009 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1124622)
I directly inquired at Canon support and they responded with what I called the official party line

Well, that's kind of a drag. I'm even more confused now -- I haven't gotten the MKII yet, but sooner or later I need something since I so impulsively sold my XL2 before understanding how crucial this manual aperture issue really was. Don't know what to do now.

By the way, here's a direct link to Greg's Canon post:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1042637-post42.html

Quote:

Funny, the guy in the video and this guy are both named Erik.
Makes me go hum.

-- peer

Daniel Lipats April 22nd, 2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1124612)
That is what they said in recent post from support, Canon does not add features through firmware updates.

That's not true. Canon does add features through firmware from time to time. Please correct me if I am mistaking but I think the most recent feature addition was last month. The SX1 got a firmware update adding support for RAW.

Peer Landa April 22nd, 2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Lipats (Post 1124737)
That's not true. Canon does add features through firmware from time to time. Please correct me if I am mistaking but I think the most recent feature addition was last month. The SX1 got a firmware update adding support for RAW.

Yea, you are correct: Canon PowerShot SX1 IS Firmware Update

-- peer

Chris Barcellos April 22nd, 2009 11:53 AM

Manual aperature issue is easily resolved using Nikon lenses with a Nikon to EOS. Simply set aperature as you want, then try to control the other factors through various work arounds. For the $ 700 buck extra they charge for the zoom lens package, you can buy a range of Nikon lenses on EBay with excellent glass.

Tripod shooting in most cases is best. If you are going to shoot hand held, a shoulder mount or stabilizer is a must. I made my own. If you try to shoot it in a serious situation in the standard 35mm hand hold position, while watching the LCD, it will not go well.

A loupe LCD view is also another must. I made one of my own along with my shoulder mount.

Sound will likely be double system, at least until Beachtek releases there 5D resolving adapter with level readout and monitoring cabability.

Peer Landa April 22nd, 2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1124744)
Manual aperature issue is easily resolved using Nikon lenses with a Nikon to EOS.

Still kind of a sad workaround for us who have invested in Canon L lenses... don't you think?

-- peer

Chris Barcellos April 22nd, 2009 12:06 PM

Agreed. And you would think Canon would care. But what they care about more is that we don't replace their pro video line with this $2600 camera.

Nick Hiltgen April 22nd, 2009 06:05 PM

I honestly don't think they're that concerned with their PRO video line. I think they're more concerned with the fact that the camera is selling and they've made a profit (I assume) on it. And adding this manual control would cost them more money, and possibly slow the sales of the 1dm3s or whatever the next camera that has everything we want is.

Nigel Barker April 23rd, 2009 07:21 AM

If others are like me then the Nikon lenses that people are buying are old manual lenses. Nice optics & very cheap on eBay but with zero impact on the sales figures for either Nikon or Canon. I have bought half a dozen or more Nikon lenses but the total cost does not amount to even one used Canon 'L' lens. If Nikon shipped a 5D Mk II equivalent tomorrow with full manual control my collection of Nikon lenses would be no extra incentive to buy one.

William Chung April 23rd, 2009 08:14 AM

If there are much better alternatives than the Canon 5d II at 2600$ then why did you guys buy it?

Obviously it's a still cam first and video second and even as a video cam it does a pretty amazing job. It's funny how everyone knocks Canon and is waiting for Nikon's latest and greatest but overlooks the fact nikon itself has 2 cameras (one not out but announced) that also don't have aperture control in video.

I really want canon to release the firmware too and imho it should be a no brainer than them but for those that keep talking about it not being worth it are not looking at what the product was intended to do.

Peer Landa April 23rd, 2009 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1127943)
If others are like me then the Nikon lenses that people are buying are old manual lenses. Nice optics & very cheap on eBay but with zero impact on the sales figures for either Nikon or Canon.

I think Gregory's point was that when people already have Nikon lenses in their possession, it just becomes so much easier to migrate to a Nikon camera. I happen to agree.

-- peer