Canon Comments on 5D Enhancements, Kind Of... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 22nd, 2009, 08:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon Comments on 5D Enhancements, Kind Of...

FreshDV has some great videos on their site from NAB. This one includes a visit to the Canon booth.

http://www.freshdv.com/2009/04/nab-2009-dslr-3d.html
Jon Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Watching that interview makes me suspect that Canon perhaps will rather update the firmware through new hardware -- i.e., that we have to buy a new version of the camera in order to get manual controls.

-- peer
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:07 AM   #3
Inner Circle

That is what they said in recent post from support, Canon does not add features through firmware updates.

With recent announcement by Beachtek of their solution to the 5D sound issue, and Nikon lenses, the contol issues are reduced to ISO and shutter speed. Both are predictable and modifiable with work arounds, and perhaps that is the best we are going to see.

Of course that doesn't resolve monitoring issues either, but with Canon apparent lack of concern about making it right, at least we know where we have to go independent of them.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:12 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
That is what they said in recent post from support,
Do you happen to have that post?

-- peer
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:19 AM   #5
Inner Circle

This is thread. I directly inquired at Canon support and they responded with what I called the official party line:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...ml#post1044829

Funny, the guy in the video and this guy are both named Erik.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:34 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
I directly inquired at Canon support and they responded with what I called the official party line
Well, that's kind of a drag. I'm even more confused now -- I haven't gotten the MKII yet, but sooner or later I need something since I so impulsively sold my XL2 before understanding how crucial this manual aperture issue really was. Don't know what to do now.

By the way, here's a direct link to Greg's Canon post:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/1042637-post42.html

Quote:
Funny, the guy in the video and this guy are both named Erik.
Makes me go hum.

-- peer
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:46 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
That is what they said in recent post from support, Canon does not add features through firmware updates.
That's not true. Canon does add features through firmware from time to time. Please correct me if I am mistaking but I think the most recent feature addition was last month. The SX1 got a firmware update adding support for RAW.
Daniel Lipats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Lipats View Post
That's not true. Canon does add features through firmware from time to time. Please correct me if I am mistaking but I think the most recent feature addition was last month. The SX1 got a firmware update adding support for RAW.
Yea, you are correct: Canon PowerShot SX1 IS Firmware Update

-- peer
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:53 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Manual aperature issue is easily resolved using Nikon lenses with a Nikon to EOS. Simply set aperature as you want, then try to control the other factors through various work arounds. For the $ 700 buck extra they charge for the zoom lens package, you can buy a range of Nikon lenses on EBay with excellent glass.

Tripod shooting in most cases is best. If you are going to shoot hand held, a shoulder mount or stabilizer is a must. I made my own. If you try to shoot it in a serious situation in the standard 35mm hand hold position, while watching the LCD, it will not go well.

A loupe LCD view is also another must. I made one of my own along with my shoulder mount.

Sound will likely be double system, at least until Beachtek releases there 5D resolving adapter with level readout and monitoring cabability.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 11:58 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Manual aperature issue is easily resolved using Nikon lenses with a Nikon to EOS.
Still kind of a sad workaround for us who have invested in Canon L lenses... don't you think?

-- peer
Old April 22nd, 2009, 12:06 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Agreed. And you would think Canon would care. But what they care about more is that we don't replace their pro video line with this $2600 camera.
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:05 PM   #12
Trustee

I honestly don't think they're that concerned with their PRO video line. I think they're more concerned with the fact that the camera is selling and they've made a profit (I assume) on it. And adding this manual control would cost them more money, and possibly slow the sales of the 1dm3s or whatever the next camera that has everything we want is.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:21 AM   #13
Inner Circle

If others are like me then the Nikon lenses that people are buying are old manual lenses. Nice optics & very cheap on eBay but with zero impact on the sales figures for either Nikon or Canon. I have bought half a dozen or more Nikon lenses but the total cost does not amount to even one used Canon 'L' lens. If Nikon shipped a 5D Mk II equivalent tomorrow with full manual control my collection of Nikon lenses would be no extra incentive to buy one.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:14 AM   #14
Regular Crew

If there are much better alternatives than the Canon 5d II at 2600$ then why did you guys buy it?

Obviously it's a still cam first and video second and even as a video cam it does a pretty amazing job. It's funny how everyone knocks Canon and is waiting for Nikon's latest and greatest but overlooks the fact nikon itself has 2 cameras (one not out but announced) that also don't have aperture control in video.

I really want canon to release the firmware too and imho it should be a no brainer than them but for those that keep talking about it not being worth it are not looking at what the product was intended to do.
William Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 08:34 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
If others are like me then the Nikon lenses that people are buying are old manual lenses. Nice optics & very cheap on eBay but with zero impact on the sales figures for either Nikon or Canon.
I think Gregory's point was that when people already have Nikon lenses in their possession, it just becomes so much easier to migrate to a Nikon camera. I happen to agree.

-- peer

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD