FCP Worflow - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 6th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #16
Major Player

I transcode all my H.264 files to proress422(hq) in compressor, then bring them into FCP. Proress looks slightly better, and it just works better overall, like you guys said earlier. In my sequence settings, should I have the field dominance set to "None" when working with proress? and should the audio settings be 48, 44.1? I thought FCP knows best which settings to use. Haha. It would be nice to know if I should change any of that up.
Old May 6th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #17
Major Player

Just watched one of those Lynda.com training tutorials on this and they say top field dominance and 44.1 for the sound.

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Avanson View Post
Just watched one of those Lynda.com training tutorials on this and they say top field dominance and 44.1 for the sound.

Avey
On the Lynda tutorial they are working with the native H.264 files straight off the camera. Douglas was talking about files transcoded to ProRes.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 11:40 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Joseph View Post
Nigel, what's the point changing your timeline to those settings? I thought FCP, automatically adjusted all footage to its exact settings, because it's an "open timeline". I could be wrong, but that's what I've always been taught. I'm definitely gonna test out that easy set-up, though for sure.
I am no great FCP expert (I leave that to the wife:-) but I thought that this was a quick way of ensuring that all the relevant settings were correct. Otherwise what is the point of any Easy Setup preset?

As I said I am no great FCP expert so I was just doing what the trainer on the video told me to. I am assuming that he is a FCP expert. He at least seemed to know what he was talking about.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #20
Inner Circle

We have been having little niggly problems with editing the native H.264 files off the camera (stuttering clips & FCP crashing on exporting any file amongst other problems) so switched to using ProRes. This has worked pretty well but even using Qmaster & sharing the work between two dual quad core Mac Pros it still has been taking a hell of a long time to convert.

I was a bit dubious about the benefits of Cineform NeoScene but having downloaded the trial today & done some testing then I have to admit that I am now a convert. NeoScene works just as well as ProRes in FCP (& even iMovie!) but the conversion from native .MOV file to NeoScene is really fast. In fact it's just a bit less than real time which means getting footage into FCP is taking only a little longer than when we were using the the Canon XH-A1 HDV cameras. So for just $129 NeoScene seems worth the money. I haven't yet tested NeoSceneHD but as that costs $499 then ReMaster & First Light will have to be something really special to justify that price tag.
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Can anybody here explain to me why progressively shot footage needs to have a top field dominance in FCP? This doesn't seem to make sense. And then if you convert to pro-res and take that footage into FCP now it has no field dominance. What gives?
Nathan Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #22
Major Player

I would also like to know the logic behind this ^^^
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD