Redrock's new mini rig... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old April 24th, 2009, 05:55 PM   #1
Major Player

Redrock's new mini rig...

Here's the first article I've seen about Redrock's mini rig, the so-called Hybrid:
Redrock Hybrid Cinema Rig Aims dSLRs Right at Spielberg - Gizmodo Australia

-- peer
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Redrock's New Mini Rig ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
Here's the first article I've seen about Redrock's mini rig, the so-called Hybrid:

-- peer
Do we actually need this for $200 +?

Try a Hoodman Pro Loupe attached to camera body via 6 daisy chained rubber bands. Loop first & last band over neck of eyepiece, stretch the entire band east/west around camera body. Brace the camera/eyepiece on your face ( 35 mm film camera style, remember them!!) Additional stability for long lens, combine with video monopod. Brace your body and rig on pole, fence, table, another person, or sit on the turf.

Walking with this rig yields about the same result as a shoulder brace...we can't expect the impossible.
Ron Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Coker View Post

Try a Hoodman Pro Loupe attached to camera body via 6 daisy chained rubber bands. Loop first & last band over neck of eyepiece, stretch the entire band east/west around camera body. Brace the camera/eyepiece on your face ( 35 mm film camera style, remember them!!) Additional stability for long lens, combine with video monopod. Brace your body and rig on pole, fence, table, another person, or sit on the turf.

Walking with this rig yields about the same result as a shoulder brace...we can't expect the impossible.
I tried the hoodman route and ended up sending it back. The glass in the hoodman was very inferior in my opinion.

Bruce
Bruce G. Cleveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Re Hoodman Loupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland View Post
I tried the hoodman route and ended up sending it back. The glass in the hoodman was very inferior in my opinion.

Bruce
My tired old eyes have been around for 70+ years, in fact I wear contact lenses. Left eye set for reading, right eye distance. I find the Hoodman optical quality quite outstanding, featuring prime German optics. Tack sharp... after adjusting the diopter that covers the range found in most professional level cameras.
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
My tired old eyes have been around for 70+ years, in fact I wear contact lenses. Left eye set for reading, right eye distance. I find the Hoodman optical quality quite outstanding, featuring prime German optics. Tack sharp... after adjusting the diopter that covers the range found in most professional level cameras.
Hmmm maybe I missed something. Glad you are liking it though.

Bruce
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Try a Hoodman Pro Loupe attached to camera body via 6 daisy chained rubber bands.
So you suggest to replace this camera rig with some rubber bands and a loupe..?!
I don't get it.

-- peer
Old April 25th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Brace Me.

Quote:
So you suggest to replace this camera rig with some rubber bands and a loupe..?!
I don't get it.

-- peer
If traveling light is a priority. I found this approach an advantage, and cost effective over a shoulder brace. Outlined in my original quote are a number of suggestions to add addition stability if required for a long lens.

I guess it's a matter of personal choice, after evaluation. Different strokes, for different folks.

Ron.
Old April 25th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:

-- peer
Peer do you have any idea when this product is going to be out?

Bruce
Old April 25th, 2009, 09:59 PM   #9
Regular Crew

On the RedRock site it now lists the DSLR 2.0 range of products....

you pick and choose what and how you want to use with your camera...

I put in 2 rails, 2 handles, solder brace and camera block... it came in around $600

unless I'm missing something I don't think you can get a rig for ~$200
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #10
Major Player

More detail in this video http://www.freshdv.com/2009/04/nab-2...rock-dslr.html

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
unless I'm missing something I don't think you can get a rig for ~$200
The base plate starts at $195, and then you add to that. But since a fully functional rig will run quite a bit higher than $195, to me their new "affordable" approach seems kind of deceiving.

-- peer
Old April 26th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
The base plate starts at $195, and then you add to that. But since a fully functional rig will run quite a bit higher than $195, to me their new "affordable" approach seems kind of deceiving.

-- peer
I find the website they have and trying to figure out what I need to put together a system is the most confusing thing I have ever seen. I mean, I probably would have ordered something by now if I knew what I was doing.

Bruce
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:20 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce G. Cleveland View Post
I find the website they have and trying to figure out what I need to put together a system is the most confusing thing I have ever seen. I mean, I probably would have ordered something by now if I knew what I was doing.

Bruce
They are supposed to have bundles of popular configurations although I see that you must click on the 'Buy Now' link before you find out the price:-) Presumably they thought that you would suffer extreme sticker shock if the prices were easier to find. Never mind thinking about a rig for $195 start thinking about having to spend 10x as much!
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
They are supposed to have bundles of popular configurations although I see that you must click on the 'Buy Now' link before you find out the price:-) Presumably they thought that you would suffer extreme sticker shock if the prices were easier to find. Never mind thinking about a rig for $195 start thinking about having to spend 10x as much!
I mean the base plate alone is $195. Start adding the parts you need and it really piles up. I don't understand how they have made this affordable. You get all the parts you need and before you know it you might as well spend the 2K on the whole system.

Bruce
Old April 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Here's some more info that shows some of the equipment that was shown at NAB...

Its a bit more complicated than I thought it was but its hard to get a full feel when
your watching video demo's versus having the piece parts in your hands and putting
the rig together for your needs...

Looks like a very nice setup,modular and adaptable as you go...

You have to really commit to using this style of camera for the price...

One of the good things is DSLR bodies dont' change much in size so this
type of system should be adaptable to any future DSLR cameras coming
down the pipe.. so the investment can at least be used for years to come.

DSLR Cinema Bundle Setup Tutorial on Vimeo
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD