DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Warning: Nikon to EOS adapters from Ebay (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/234159-warning-nikon-eos-adapters-ebay.html)

Dylan Couper April 27th, 2009 03:36 PM

Warning: Nikon to EOS adapters from Ebay

1 Attachment(s)
Just a warning to you guys, like many of you, I've been buying the Kawa Nikon -> EF adapters off ebay, the cheap $6-$10 ones from HongKong, and they've worked great...

I ordered another 4 of them and just received them, AND THESE ARE NOT THEM. They are different than the last ones, even though it is the same seller/item/description! These "new and improved" ones now have a metal ring that sticks out over the base of the lens. The problem is, most old Nikon lenses have a chunky metal prong over the aperture markings, and this new adapter "ring" doesn't clear it. Of the 8 or so old Nikon lenses I have, the new adapter ring will only fit on 3.

It's an easy, 2 minute fix with a Dremel to blast a bit of the excess metal off and make them fit, but it's a PITA.

Here are two that fit... You can see the thick silver ring at the base... that's the adapter. On most of the Nikons, it won't clear the aperture bracketmajigger, and thus won't attach.

Chris Barcellos April 27th, 2009 03:49 PM

Thanks for the warning Was that the Kawa -- you said Hawa ???

Dylan Couper April 27th, 2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1134111)
Thanks for the warning Was that the Kawa -- you said Hawa ???

Typo, fixed!

One thing I do like about these new adapters is they have a more snug fit and feel more firmly attached to the camera, as well as having a more secure locking mechanism.

Dan Brockett April 27th, 2009 05:37 PM

Why not just unscrew the aperture pin receptacle and remove it if its in the way?

Dan

Dylan Couper April 27th, 2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Brockett (Post 1134145)
Why not just unscrew the aperture pin receptacle and remove it if its in the way?

Dan

If you don't need it, thats probably a faster option than the dremel. I do use it on longer lenses with a teleconverter, but on the short lenses it could go (which as a coincidence, are the ones that it fit on for me).

Peer Landa April 27th, 2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dylan Couper (Post 1134202)
If you don't need it, thats probably a faster option than the dremel.

Is there any other functionality of this pin, or is it safe to remove?

-- peer

Rick Casillas April 28th, 2009 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peer Landa (Post 1134222)
Is there any other functionality of this pin, or is it safe to remove?

It can be removed. Unless you plan on using it on a Nikon camera that was made before 1977. the small tab is there for compatibility purposes. see small snipet of information from a web site.

"These lenses have an aperture coupling prong just below f/5.6. When used on cameras made before 1977, you had to "index" the lens to the camera's meter by mounting the lens and then remembering to rotate the lens to its largest aperture and back (f/2 in this case) so that the meter was properly calibrated. Forget to do that and your exposures could be way off."

Nikkor Lens Technology

Rick

Dan Brockett April 28th, 2009 08:30 AM

I have two pretty recent Nikon film cameras, an F75 and and F100 so I don't think I would need the aperture tab.

Thanks for that informative post Rick.

Dan