Canon Rep: "Were working on it" - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old April 29th, 2009, 12:43 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev Dinkins View Post
I guarantee someone else will though. If Nikon delivers, that's probably when I'd sell the 5DMkII and grab the Nikon. I've got a ton of glass for it.
I love my Canon, but I'd jump ship too, for a uncrippled quality camera. I have no 'brand loyalty.' My devotion lies in the ease of workflow and quality of product.

That being said, PLEASE, CANON, Improve my workflow and keep the quality. Reward your customer base for trusting you.
Old April 29th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #17
Trustee

I'm getting quite the stock of Nikon lenses. It won't make sense to stay with Canon if Nikon comes out with a nice video-DSLR.
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Uncrippling the 5D as it is now would help push sales of an already existing model even further. What's wrong with that? Heck, they could even charge for the uncrippling, thus generating extra revenue between product cycles. That way they maximize R&D return for the current product cycle and then in a couple of years they can come up with an even better product. I think there's enough room for improvement to sell a better model down the line. Auto focus, less aliasing, less rolling shutter, more sensitivity, less noise, more dynamic range, faster frame rates, movie mode histogram, higher bit rate video, more megapixels, higher res video, etc...

JMHO.
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:18 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Which nikon lenses do you have? the older ones? have you even checked if you would need an adapter for those too?
Old April 29th, 2009, 01:53 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
You are going to be waiting 2-3 years at least for a 5DmkIII.
I beg to differ -- I doubt it will even take half of that time. Remember, it took Canon just 5 months to upgrade their 1D MKIII to a 1Ds MKIII. How quickly we forget ;^)

-- peer
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
...it took Canon just 5 months to upgrade their 1D MKIII to a 1Ds MKIII.
Was the "s" a hardware upgrade, or just firmware? In fact, what was the change?

From what I understand, Canon normally upgrades their EOS bodies every two to three years. I could be wrong though. I'm new to the DSLR market. (Note to Canon, without the video feature I wouldn't have spent more than $500 on an SLR body. In fact, I probably would have spent zero. I simply wasn't in the market. That said, I used to have an AE-1, and then a Rebel.)
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:49 PM   #22
Regular Crew

The 1D and 1Ds are different lines of product. 1D is built for high burst speed and is 1.3 crop factor. 1Ds is the flagship camera with a full frame sensor (It used to be the ONLY full frame DSLR in canon's lineup). Both have coexisted for a long time.
Old April 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Was the "s" a hardware upgrade, or just firmware? In fact, what was the change?
It got a 35mm full-frame sensor (previously 1.3x FOV crop), lager viewfinder, and they bumped it to 21 Mp (from 16.7 Mp).... and doubled the price, all within 5 months!

Quote:
From what I understand, Canon normally upgrades their EOS bodies every two to three years. I could be wrong though.
I don't think there's such a thing as "normally" when it comes to Canon ;^)

-- peer
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Again, 1Ds is NOT an update to the 1D. The 1Ds MkIII was an update to the 1Ds MkII. The 1D MkIII is the updated 1D MkII. Both are different products for different markets. The 1D line has always had the fastest burst rate of the entire Canon lineup. The tradeoff has always been a smaller sensor to achieve faster burst rates. It is designed for sports photographers.
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis de la Cerda View Post
Again, 1Ds is NOT an update to the 1D.
And this is exactly what we are talking about here (at least that's what I'm talking about) -- from the history I've had with Canon, I think they'll release a new 5D, the same way they did with the 1Ds, rather than giving the old 5D full manual controls.

-- peer
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #26
Inner Circle

From what I understand, you can't really call the 1Ds an upgrade to the 1D at all. They're different beasts and they coexisted.

It would be more illuminating to look at the longevity of the 1Dx from Mark to Mark, as well as the interval from 5D to 5D Mark II. From what I've read on other sites, that's about 2 to 3 years. Anybody got the release dates at hand?
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:26 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
From what I understand, you can't really call the 1Ds an upgrade to the 1D at all.
And that's my point. I repeat; I think Canon will rather release a new 5D, than simply upgrading it.

-- peer
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
And that's my point. I repeat; I think Canon will rather release a new 5D, than simply upgrading it.

-- peer
I hope not. If that happens, how many people will brick their 5d2 by trying to load the new model's firmware?
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Bloomfield View Post
I hope not. If that happens, how many people will brick their 5d2 by trying to load the new model's firmware?
I agree, I certainly hope Canon would give us a MKII firmware fix, and then release whatever new camera (with audio controls, etc.). But looking at Canon's history, I for one think a firmware fix is becoming less likely by the day, while it's more possible we'll soon see a new hi-end camera, like they did with the 1Ds. But what do I know?!

-- peer
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Quote:
I understand. But keep in mind that the 1Ds was far from just a firmware upgrade. Crop vs. full frame is a big deal.

My guess is that either there will be a minor FW upgrade (such as EF aperture control - gotta sell lenses, you know) or nothing. Also, I would be surprised if we see a 5D MkIII in fewer than 18 months. The new camera will need more than just video updates. It will need photo improvements as well. Maybe it will get a better autofocus, articulating screen, lower noise, who knows? If the MkIII has video improvements only, the still community will howl.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD