Canon Rep: "Were working on it" at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Closed Thread

Old April 28th, 2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon Rep: "Were working on it"

DigitalCinemaSociety.com Video

I'm sorry if anyone has already posted this video but it is interesting if you are crossing your fingers for a firmware upgrade. A Canon representative at NAB is interviewed and towards the end of the clip answers a question about 24p and aperture. He says we're working on it and we are trying to see what we can do for THIS camera and for cameras in the future.
Old April 28th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Here's the exact quote from the video:

"...we're taking both of those features very seriously and seeing what we can do to this camera and, and, obviously in future product as well."

So, rather than "working" on it, it's more of a "looking" at it.
Old April 28th, 2009, 06:52 PM   #3
Inner Circle

IMHO, having worked with photographic and electronic manufacturers on many different levels for the past few decades, for every week that has gone by without a firmware update exponentially reduces the percentage chance that Canon will ever issue one. How long has the 5D MKII been out?

It really is looking the 5D MKIII or a video camera or a twice as expensive 1D incarnation will likely be the camera that delivers these features. It's almost May guys. But who knows? We live in strange and unprecedented times.

Dan
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Wrangler

I don't doubt there will be firmware update(s) but ones that will unlock the crippled video capability....doubtful. It's not in their best interest to make this cam up to snuff, even if they can. They can simply "unlock" those features in a mkIII iteration and automatically gain a great deal of perceived value for the "new" product.

They do this thing with electronics, computers, even automobiles. I was blown away when I took my stock turbo down-pipe off my STi to see that it was a solid mass with a small hole going through it. That way when the next year's model comes out they can bore it out a few cm and advertise/leverage the "new" power the most current model is making compared to the old.
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Here's the exact quote from the video:

"...we're taking both of those features very seriously and seeing what we can do to this camera and, and, obviously in future product as well."
What else did anyone expect him to say? It's a perfect example of a bland corporate statement that doesn't promise anything but doesn't rule anything out either.

Last edited by Nigel Barker; April 29th, 2009 at 12:53 AM.
Old April 28th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
...It's not in their best interest to make this cam up to snuff, even if they can...
Except for two things: many of the people who care are buying Nikon lenses, and it's of little use in PAL countries, except for on the web.

If I were them, I'd at least make the aperture controllable on Canon lenses. The camera already supports manual aperture control, if you think about it, just not with their own products.
Old April 29th, 2009, 03:15 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
They do this thing with electronics, computers, even automobiles. I was blown away when I took my stock turbo down-pipe off my STi to see that it was a solid mass with a small hole going through it. That way when the next year's model comes out they can bore it out a few cm and advertise/leverage the "new" power the most current model is making compared to the old.
Yea, and they will certainly charge for it too. As I said before, as long as the MKII sells like candy, why would Canon fix something that isn't really broken, especially when Nikon hasn't come up with anything that's even remotely as hot as the (crippled) MKII?!

I seriously doubt we'll ever see any firmware fix for the MKII, but instead, down the pipe, will get a new model (a MKIII or something) that will obviously cost more but also do more (i.e., manual controls).

I bet Canon used the added video feature on the MKII as a marketing-probe, and now they know quite well what people want. Hence, I'm waiting for their next model.

-- peer
Old April 29th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Nikon have openly addressed the issue, Panasonic knew what they were doing from the off.... and Canon "might" look into it for this model, but likely will mark up a new cam instead.

I can't wait to get away from Canon. The 5DII was might first purchase from them and will be my last....
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Birch View Post
Nikon have openly addressed the issue, Panasonic knew what they were doing from the off.... and Canon "might" look into it for this model, but likely will mark up a new cam instead.

I can't wait to get away from Canon. The 5DII was might first purchase from them and will be my last....
I've made the jump to Panny from Canon before... and within a year was back to Canon. Panasonic may always be first with the tech and toys, but Canon rarely ever loses in the image quality department.
Old April 29th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peer Landa View Post
I bet Canon used the added video feature on the MKII as a marketing-probe, and now they know quite well what people want. Hence, I'm waiting for their next model.
You are going to be waiting 2-3 years at least for a 5DmkIII. At least one more for 1 1DmkIV
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #11
Wrangler

Quote:

Let me know when you want to sell yours!
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #12
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Couper View Post
You are going to be waiting 2-3 years at least for a 5DmkIII. At least one more for 1 1DmkIV
Yeah I thought the same thing. The original 5D was around for years before the mkII hit. I'd venture to guess a bonified video camera with similar attributes as the 5D will appear before a mkIII. However this is only speculation.
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #13
Regular Crew

If nikon does it with their cams Canon is going to do it with the 5d II. As I mentioned in another thread the whole video function on the 5d II was a reaction to the d90's video.
Old April 29th, 2009, 09:57 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Quote:
Let me know when you want to sell yours!
I'll PM you the minute Nikon come up with a Full Frame 24p, manual solution.... wonder if you will still be interested ;-)
Old April 29th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
I'll PM you the minute Nikon come up with a Full Frame 24p, manual solution.... wonder if you will still be interested ;-)
I guarantee someone else will though. If Nikon delivers, that's probably when I'd sell the 5DMkII and grab the Nikon. I've got a ton of glass for it.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD