Generic 5d battery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 4th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Generic 5d battery

has anyone used this battery? a lot less money than sony's

CTA Digital | LP-E6 Rechargeable Lithium-Ion Battery | DB-LPE6
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

looks like the same deal I ordered from ebay...
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #3
DVCreators.Net

The Canon 5D Mark II Battery Level Indicator will *not* show the battery status with this first generation of generic batteries. When you put the generic in the camera it will say:

"Cannot communicate with battery Use this battery"

If chose OK, you can continue, but the readout will show an empty or depleted icon.

Also keep in mind that you can not charge the generic batteries in the Canon charger.

You can charge the Canon batteries in the generic, charger.

So if you're using the generics along with your Canon batteries, take the generic charger - not the Canon charger. I learned this one the hard way.

Basically, these are good as a backup, I try to shoot with the Genuine Canon batteries.
Old May 5th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #4
Trustee

I just decided to order two of these batteries. The cheaper batteries have a lower Ah rating and I like that these chargers are AC/DC so I can charge on the road between locations. These have a higher Ah rating than even the Canon battery so I will try to gauge their charge life by the time I can shoot with the Canon. I won't have anything to report for a while since batteries tend to take a few cycles to stabilize.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #5
Major Player

You spent $2700 on the camera plus who knows how much on lenses. Why would you skimp on a non Canon battery to save $30. Just my two cents.
Jim Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:31 AM   #6
New Boot

battery!!!!!!!

but as it is posibile that the battery still is not found. I have the 5dmk2 from December and they are not successful anchor to buy an additional battery. it is absurd! I have bought one of those Chinese but it does not work! What I must make?
canon what you are making?
Max Worm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 08:43 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I ordered genuine Canon batteries direct from Hong Kong. They cost about 90 Euros & only took about a week to arrive. I suppose that they could be fakes but if they are they are very good ones:-)

GENUINE CANON LP-E6 Battary for EOS 5D MK 2 LPE6 MKII on eBay, also, Para Canon, Baterías Cámara Digital, Fotografía y Videocámaras (end time 14-May-09 16:25:17 BST)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post
You spent $2700 on the camera plus who knows how much on lenses. Why would you skimp on a non Canon battery to save $30. Just my two cents.

it is not the matter of saving $$$... i just can't find canon batteries to buy.
Don Pham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:25 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
This is a matter of making do with what you can find. The list on the Canon batteries when I looked was $80.00. But the only people that had them in stock were selling them for $135.00 and more. So I opted to take chance on 4 "un-chipped" batteries at the cost of about $45.00, including a charger that will work only with them. Result ? I can shoot all day... Using the Canon first, then setting it on charger, while shooting other ones and recharging as we go... it aint a problem....
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:38 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I'm lucky. I bought the battery before I got the camera! (December)

I was on the list for the camera at a small camera store. I stopped in, and they had received batteries, but no cameras. I paid $90. Unfortunately for the shop, Frys got a number of cameras before they did - but at least they made a battery sale.
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Inner Circle

BTW, if anybody is in Seattle (or has a friend there), there are some batteries here:

Canon 5D Mark II batteries: LP-E6

Sorry, I'm 150 miles south in the Portland area, so I can't act as a go between.
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #12
Trustee

I bought non-Canon batteries because Canon does not want to sell batteries to me. I also happened to save $120 on the two (not $30) and bought them from a reputable dealer. To top it off, I get a bit of extra capacity (at least in the specifications). I would have bought a Canon battery now but they are non-existent to my knowledge. I will buy one in the future so I have two of each Canon and CTA Digital.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:38 AM   #13
Wrangler

Quote:
Because I've been using non-Canon batteries for about 7 or 8 years with no problems ever?

If it was only saving $30, sure I'd buy Canon, but the knockoff batteries I got were $30each, $100 cheaper than the Canon ones. I needed four of them. Savings of $400? Yes please.
Old May 9th, 2009, 11:02 AM   #14
Major Player

I just received my knock-off LinkDelight batteries and grip. $12 each with a charger! We shot for 6 hours this past weekend and we are pleased so far. The negative is that it takes 2-3 weeks to receive them and the battery life indicator on the 5d does not show the amount left on the battery. The indicator is not a problem as I just bought 5 of them for $60 as compared to $100 or more for one. I will let you guys know if I come across any issues.
Old May 9th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #15
Trustee

So far so good with the CTA batteries found at the top of this post. I even tested charging my Canon battery and it worked. There is no battery indicator but they are supposed to have greater capacity than the original so I'll just switch them after about an hour. I always keep a spare in my pocket when shooting video and these little batteries are a nice size compared to a Sony video battery. I also tested charging a CTA battery in the car and it worked just fine. I thought about the linkdelight batteries but I wanted something sooner and like that the CTA batteries are 1950mah vs. 1400mah on the linkdelight model. The Canon is 1800mah. With three batteries and a car charger I can shoot almost indefinitely.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD