jerky video at the highest res at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 6th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #1
Regular Crew

jerky video at the highest res

I am using 8 gig cards rated at 133x kingston and the specs were well above what canon suggested but i am finding my videos jerky(highest res setting) on playback through say elements 7.0,through the camera they are fine .
Should i be converting the *.mov file to something else ,can anone suggest why i have this
Stan Kern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:01 AM   #2
Major Player

It probably not the card, but the computer. The 5D mk II's MOV files are recorded at a very high bandwidth which most PCs cannot handle well. Take a look at the Cineform Showcase forum for "Neo Scene". It converts the MOV files to Cineform HD intermediate files (which give you many benefits!). You can play and edit those CFHD files in real time. It's costs $99 from videoguys.com.

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 01:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

try using powerdvd 9
John Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:42 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Any modern computer should be able to play these files as long as it is capable of 1080p playback of any form e.g. BluRay. This rules out the little netbooks like the MSI Wind as their Intel Atom processor & modest graphics cards struggle with any HD video but. I can confirm that a new model Mac Mini is perfectly capable of playing these files out of the box.

NeoScene may be useful on Windows as an Intermediate CODEC when editing but if you just want to play the videos then you can convert to a lower bit rate or resolution using the excellent & free MPEG Streamclip Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Major Player

Stan said he was playing them back through an NLE (Premier Elements) and the MOV files were stuttering. Having just re-read his post, it also sounds as though he is maybe trying to play the video clips back directly from the card, rather than by downloading them to the computer first.

John, you recommended Power DVD in another thread. Did you resolve the audio issue with Power DVD?

Julian
Old May 7th, 2009, 11:57 AM   #6
Wrangler

Stan, it isn't the cards. I use nearly the same ones. If the in camera playback doesnt stutter, it isn't the card.

My nearly brand new editing PC stutters while playing these .movs. I convert all mine to Cineform and they play flawlessly at full frame, even in an NLE with multiple layers. Cineform Neo Scene is a must have if you are on a PC.
Old May 7th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Not yet, haven't had time to check, same problem with total media theater 3, plays 5d files full res and smooth but no sound. Not to concerned with sound as I record to a separate pro capture setup. but it's a nice way to review files on a big screen in the comfort of my office.

jh
John Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #8
Major Player

Needless to say, I agree with Dylan on this. Neo Scene just works great. It had its ups and downs when it was first released (including an incompatibility with Nero 7), but everything is fixed and it works like a champ. It even fixes the crushed blacks issue which most of the other suggestions do not.

Julian
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #9
Regular Crew

from stan on the jerking

thanks for all the ideas ,will try neo scene next ,i do transfer the movies to the pc and play them from there .
Also the movie maker (winxp or vista)will not look at these files (unknown)
Appreciate the getting back to me
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I have Dell with Intel 4 core setup. If I try to play the media from the card or transferred to my hard drives, full screen, there is stutter. If I reduce size while play through latest version of Quicktime, stutter is eliminated. Conclusion ? My system/video card can't convert the full size image quick enough.

When I use NeoScene, and convert, full screen play back is clean.
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #11
Regular Crew

jerky video

I'm really surprised at canon for creating an *.mov file which is not friendly with xp or visa
I did convert the video file to an *.avi and that was not too bad but i guess the proper term is stutter,i have a canon S80 that takes videos at 1024x768 and they are flawless,i have not found neo scene yet for playback,i don't like quicktime becasue it takes over all video files
Also does the auto focus work in the movie mode?

Also its not the systems as i have fast hot systems powerful video and my results are such that i started this thread asking about it
Old May 7th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #12
Major Player

Go to Cineform.com and download the free 15-day Neo Scene trial. You won't be sorry you did.

Julian
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #13
Regular Crew

jerky video

thanks will do tonight,just did a test ,recorded a video then converted it to mpeg4 using mk convert and it worked perfect in the high res.
But i will download the program memtioned.
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM   #14
Regular Crew

also

a lot of programs will run the video ,ie nero .power dvd ver8.0 and the video flow is fine but no audio ,so to get this video working you have to convert the file to something other than *.mov or use Neo Scene
Old May 7th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #15
Regular Crew

neo scene

there is no trial download ,they must have stopped it
Stan Kern is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD