DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   iPhone remote for 5D (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/235714-iphone-remote-5d.html)

John Benton May 20th, 2009 09:42 AM

iPhone remote for 5D

Any one tried this?

"New iPhone camera remote from onOne software - Turn your iPhone into a remote control for your camera with the help of onOne software. OnOne software have developed a new application called the DSLR Remote. Designed to work with Canon EOS DSLRs, the new wireless cable release is designed to be triggered by an iPhone application. From your iPhone you can control settings such as the white balance as well as using it to fire the camera shutter. If you have a camera that supports Live View you can even get a live stream of the camera’s viewfinder on your iPhone.

The DSLR Remote application is available from the iTunes App Store at an introductory price of $9.99 (The application usually retails at $19.99.) A “Lite” version will also be available for $1.99 that only fires the shutter. The required server software that runs on your Mac or Windows computer will be a free download from the onOne website."

The DSLR IRCC iPhone Remote Camera Control

Nigel Barker May 20th, 2009 11:02 AM

It's not available yet but from what I can make out it sounds more exciting than it actually is. You need to tether your camera to a computer (Mac or Windows) via a USB cable & then use the iPhone as a remote over a WiFi link.

I am sure that I shall buy it for the novelty value even though I don't see any great advantage to using this rather than running the Canon software. Alternatively the cheap Chinese wireless remote that I got for the 5D works great if I want a remote.

John Benton May 21st, 2009 01:05 PM

Yes Nigel,
It is not out yet - I thought it might help with focus on the iPhone, but I guess you are still tethered
Alas...

Peer Landa May 21st, 2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel Barker (Post 1145890)
You need to tether your camera to a computer (Mac or Windows) via a USB cable & then use the iPhone as a remote over a WiFi link.

Yep, you need "a laptop or desktop computer running the free companion DSLR Remote Server software and a USB cable to connect your supported Canon EOS DSLR camera to the computer running the free server software"... not very elegant or too remotely, if you think like me.

-- peer

Steve Maller May 21st, 2009 08:26 PM

If Canon produced a version of EOS Utility as an iPhone/iPod Touch app, then you could theoretically control a wifi-equipped Canon body from your phone without a computer.

Come to think of it, there is an HTTP interface to the wifi adapter. Where's my iPod Touch? I have an idea. :)

Yang Wen May 21st, 2009 08:45 PM

Oh! It DOES require tethering... I was wondering how that remote worked! Much a hype about nothing IMO..

John Benton May 21st, 2009 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Maller (Post 1146628)
If Canon produced a version of EOS Utility as an iPhone/iPod Touch app, then you could theoretically control a wifi-equipped Canon body from your phone without a computer.

Come to think of it, there is an HTTP interface to the wifi adapter. Where's my iPod Touch? I have an idea. :)

That is interesting