DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   5d/Neoscene stutter in FCP (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/235716-5d-neoscene-stutter-fcp.html)

Jeremy Nicholl May 20th, 2009 10:47 AM

5d/Neoscene stutter in FCP

Can anyone suggest the correct settings in FCP Easy Setup for importing 5d2 files that have been converted to CF 422 in Neoscene?

The files I’ve converted so far run in FCP, but they stutter as if frames are being dropped. Yet when I go on to export them from FCP as QT files they run ok. I’m running a MacBook Pro with 4 GB RAM and all other files run smoothly, so it seems to be purely a 5d/Neoscene problem.

Sorry for posting this in two forums, but I wasn’t sure which was most appropriate: the 5d or the Cineform forum.

Nigel Barker May 20th, 2009 11:05 AM

Jeremy,

It sounds like you may have got the sequence settings wrong.
Sequence>Settings>General>QuickTime Video Settings make sure that this is set to Cineform & not H.264

It's in the Neoscene ReadMe
Quote:

QuickTime Player with Pro Tools installed

When Apple Pro Tools are installed, the QuickTime Player Preferences panel adds an option to force QuickTime to read all movies with a gamma of 2.2 and to ignore ColorSync profiles. Check this box to maintain consistency between Final Cut Pro and QuickTime Player.

Editing in Final Cut Pro

To prepare Final Cut Pro for editing QuickTime files that contain CineForm HD video, select Sequence->Settings and then select the General panel. In the QuickTime Video Settings group, change the compressor to CineForm HD. Select the Video Processing panel and change the rendering option to "Render all YUV material in high-precision YUV".

CineForm clips that are placed on the timeline of a sequence that uses CineForm HD as the default compressor can be played without rendering, but effects and transitions will have to be rendered before preview.

If playback seems slow or stutters, try changing the display resolution to 25% or 50% and size the window so the image fits in the display window. You can change the display resolution to "Fit to Window" and vary the size of the display window, but this will be slightly slower. This changes the method that Final Cut Pro uses for playback.

You can use other codecs as the default rendering codec assigned in the sequence settings and still use the CineForm codec for exchanging video with other applications. The advantage to using other codecs that are approved real-time codecs is that effects and transitions can be previewed without rendering. As long as the performance is sufficient, clips can be previewed at full frame rate without rendering if a real-time codecs is used as the default rendering codec assigned in the sequence settings.
Cheers

Nigel

Jeremy Nicholl May 27th, 2009 01:03 PM

Nigel,

Thanks for the advice. I "think" the settings were ok, and they looked right when I double checked. The problem wasn't with every clip, and FCP was acting a bit odd and later started crashing, so I think it may have been a problem with FCP or the system. Seems to be playing better now after a re-install.