DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon EOS Full Frame for HD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/)
-   -   Audio: Fostex FR-2 (LE) / Sony PCM-D50 / KORG MR-1000 / Tascam HD-P2 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-eos-full-frame-hd/235910-audio-fostex-fr-2-le-sony-pcm-d50-korg-mr-1000-tascam-hd-p2.html)

Peter Chang May 22nd, 2009 09:30 PM

Audio: Fostex FR-2 (LE) / Sony PCM-D50 / KORG MR-1000 / Tascam HD-P2

What's going to be the best solution for a run-and-gun documentary involving massive crowd scenes?

From my research these appear to be the best recorders under $1000:

Tascam HD-P2
Fostex FR-2
Korg MR-1000
Fostex FR-2 LE
Marantz 661
Sony PCM-D50

Anyone care to share their experiences/recommendations?

Anthony Ching May 22nd, 2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Chang (Post 1147065)
What's going to be the best solution for a run-and-gun documentary involving massive crowd scenes?

From my research these appear to be the best recorders under $1000:

Tascam HD-P2
Fostex FR-2
Korg MR-1000
Fostex FR-2 LE
Marantz 661
Sony PCM-D50

Anyone care to share their experiences/recommendations?

My choice is Edirol R44. I sold HD-P2, and forget the others. 4 tracks, easy sync, smaller, more rigid chasis.

Guy McLoughlin May 25th, 2009 09:03 AM

I've been using the Sony PCM-D50 for the past 6 months, and it's the best compact recorder I've used to date. ( everything else on your list is a much bigger / heavier recorder )
Built-in mics on the PCM-D50 are very good. Very quiet / low noise recordings. Runs for 12+ hours on one set of 4AA batteries. Solid aluminum construction.

The Edirol R44 that Anthony mentioned is also very good, but it loves to eat batteries, so make sure you've got a couple of sets ready to use.

Karl Lohninger May 25th, 2009 10:54 AM

In case one needs TC....there's not much choices anymore besides the Tascam HD-P2 and maybe the Fostex FR-2......at least in this price class.

Peter Chang May 25th, 2009 11:15 AM

The Edirol R-44 can do TC, no?
Weight is less of a concern than performance and quality.
I'm leaning toward the Edirol R-44, although the popularity and raves for the Sony PCM-D50 are a strong pull. Maybe I should get both!

Anthony Ching May 25th, 2009 11:48 AM

To sync Sony PMW-EX1 and Edirol R44 is a brief. No TC needed. As soon as neither one drift. However, I also use an Olympus LS-10. This little tool is also very well made, but it doesn't hold sync for more than 10 minutes with EX1. To drag the audio file in Vegas and get it sync in post is still very easy.
Sony PCM-D50 is so well made, I recommended it to a violinist who felt 100% satisfied. The reason I didn't take it, is I don't want to prepare different type of memory cards. I can use SDHC on PMW-EX1, R44, and LS10. The other reason is, I need a very compact secondary recorder, so that it will disappear in the picture easily.
To power R44, or any other audio mixers, mic pre-amp. I use an external battery for notebook computers. The battery will power R44 for....I don't know, it seems endless, I left it at about 18:00 before dinner, and it still works till next day morning. And the power indicator seems to be the same. I put the battery in the bottom compartment in Kata Sundo 1, plus a home made power distributor to power everything. The only drawback is: R44 DC is reverse polarity. Have to watch out the un-use plug will not touch the other plugs.