Attaching the Hoodloupe - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old July 20th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Esmonde View Post
Can you say which part of the Velcro (hook/loop) went where and how you managed to attach the adhesive-backed Velcro to the HoodLoupe? I can't get the Velcro adhesive to 'take' to the rubber material of the HoodLoupe.

I put the smooth part on the Houdloupe and let the sticky portion grip on the inside of the Hoodloupe. I then bend it around (cut relief cuts on outside corners) to the outside of the Hoodloupe. I then went around the outside of the HoodLoupe and Velcro with black electricians tape as it is pretty much the same color as the Hoodloupe.

Again, the industrial version of Velcro has a real good stick to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching the Hoodloupe-hoodloupe-1.jpg   Attaching the Hoodloupe-hoodloupe-2.jpg  

Jim Froom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:53 AM   #62
Regular Crew

Thanks Jim.

That's a great solution that I'll certainly have a go at. And so obvious too .... once someone else has done it :-)

I have some of the industrial Velcro but I'm using a modified LCD shade on the camera. Fixing Velcro to the LCD shade was easy enough, but even Velcro tech support couldn't help with fixing it to a rubber material. Glad I saw your post.
Robert Esmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 06:42 AM   #63
Tourist

Rollei SL 66 Loupe on a Canon 5DII

Glad to be able to use some old stuff:

Last edited by Peter Gruchot; July 21st, 2009 at 06:54 AM. Reason: more pictures
Peter Gruchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 04:06 PM   #64
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Foreman View Post

So I ordered the viewfinder assembly for the 5D MkII from CAVISION in Canada. ... Price was $239 incl 2 day shipping.
Hi Bruce,

how could you make those folks selling you anything? Their website seems to be dated from 1978 and the worst ever site I have ever seen as for selling stuff.
All you get is product descriptions, they are very mysterious about their prices and ordering seems to require some emailing foreplay before they allow you to shoot (your order, I mean).
They seriously need some web designer who places an order button on the site and connect it to some merchant account that deals with Paypal.
Although the product looks great I cant imagine many people go for the hassle they want customers to suffer in order to own their stuff.
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:50 AM   #65
Trustee

Hi, Zsolt

Their website drove me nuts, too. So I used the phone number found somewhere on that site and called them. It's actually better that way as your needs can be more actually discussed.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #66
Major Player

Ok, here are the pics. The Hoodloupe might look dusty but thats just my untidy work, now clean.
Works perfect. No Velcro, nothing directly glued to the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching the Hoodloupe-img_0677.jpg   Attaching the Hoodloupe-img_0679.jpg  

Attaching the Hoodloupe-img_0681.jpg   Attaching the Hoodloupe-img_0683.jpg  

Attaching the Hoodloupe-img_0688.jpg  
Old August 1st, 2009, 12:30 PM   #67
Major Player

Thanks

I would like to thank all those in the thread who described the hoodloupe + LCD shade solution. I followed it and works like a charm. Not only is the most ingenious one, it is the only solution that enable me to use the battery pack.
Since I have found a number of Contax, manual focus lenses very cheap, I use it even for still photography because is much more easy to focus and judge exposure with the Houdloupe attached.

Thanks again!!!
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 05:12 AM   #68
Major Player

Now that I have used Hoodloupe I found a couple of shortcomings:

1. As mentioned elsewhere in this thread the eyecap is not very comfortable and needs upgrade.

If you look through the Hoodloupe slightly off center it distorts so much that you can't see anything. This sometimes can become very annoying. I wish there were better optics in there, but I guess I got what I paid for.
Emmanuel Plakiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I received my pop up shade the other day. Removing the guts was easy enough. Next step: velcro.

Anyway, I found one minor flaw in the design. It covers the sensor for the LCD screen brightness. If you want to use the shade as designed, it could be a good idea to drill a hole in the thing, so light can reach the sensor. With the hoodloupe, it shouldn't matter.
Hi Jon, where exactly is the sensor located? I need to drill the hole but could not locate the exact location. Thks
John Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:03 PM   #70
Major Player

Light sensor is right below the live viewfinder next to on/off switch.
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2009, 09:45 PM   #71
New Boot

finalize with LCD cover shader combination

I'm searching the method to fitted the hoodloupe 3.0 on my 5D2 for 2 weeks, and end up with LCD cover shader, why?
- at first day tried with elastic bands (industrial one 3.0 mm.) same way with the original rubber band ($20 from Hoodman), it fitted quite well but can move off center to the LCD and to fitted in and out quite difficult without practice.
- then I started order the LCD cove shader from Hongkong, it cost $9.30 plus shipping, since it not so costly then I didn't expect much.
- during waithing for, did a lot of searching on the other methods and found that the idea of redrock micro is look practical, but didn't order since it quite expensive.
Now the LCD shade came, it quite impress on it made quality, let say it acceptable on it quality and you can hook it on your camera without feeling shy.
The way to fitted LCD shade with Hoodloupe, I did the same way as show by "Zsolt Gordos".
Then you better to put in some absorbing material not to protect the scratch but more to prevent the light leak as I did and finalize I would say this is a prefect combination in my opinion, not expensive, good look, fast snap in and out, easy to pack in your bag.
Most of the thing is it change the using of camera when shooting with video handheld, it more stabilize and able to focus manually while shooting especially for the one whom came from photography.
Chounchai Wangvisarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #72
Contributor

I still like that Cavision solution as the best of all. If it had an adjustable diopter I would have bought it the day I ordered my camera.

One thing nice about the IDCPhotography/Hoodman, and most likely the Cavision too, is that it's sturdy enough that you can pick up the camera by it if necessary with no worries.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2009, 05:44 PM   #73
Trustee

I wouldn't. It's strong but I wouldn't risk it.
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #74
Major Player

I did exactly the same as Zoltos but added an iCuff to the business end for extra comfort and light blockage. For carrying about, I just pull the iCuff off and turn it round and slip it back on to make the whole thing a smaller package. A bit like you do with your lens sunshades.

Works a treat.

Avey
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD