Attaching the Hoodloupe - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 29th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #16
Trustee

I just ordered the LCD hood. Great idea, and thanks.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:58 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Harvey View Post
is the hoodloupe a home made device? I'd like to make one, the Z thing is a bit pricey.
jh
You buy them from the Hoodman Corp in the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Giberti View Post
Thanks Nigel,
So basically, you took away the visor/shield, wings and screen and just left the frame?
Yep. they pop out quite easily. Buy two though, because you may realise later how much use the LCD shade is for when you're NOT using the Hoodloup.
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #18
New Boot

Homemade Hoodlupe

I build a perfect hoodloup from Hoddmanloup and LCD Screen Hood Pop-Up Shade from LCD Screen Hood Pop-Up Shade Cover for Canon 5D Mark II - eBay (item 260383734483 end time Jun-24-09 08:37:17 PDT) and i fit perfect to my camera.
My camera is like any other Videocamera with perfect focuscontrol.
No rubberband who make the Hoodluop difficult to stay in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching the Hoodloupe-dscf0002.jpg   Attaching the Hoodloupe-dscf0006.jpg  

Attaching the Hoodloupe-dscf0023.jpg   Attaching the Hoodloupe-dscf0013.jpg  

Tommy Simonsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Tommy,

Did you use velcro or some other temporary method to attach the Hoodloupe to the visor, or did you use glue or some permanent method?

Thanks!
Old June 6th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
Did you use velcro or some other temporary method to attach the Hoodloupe to the visor, or did you use glue or some permanent method?
Judging by the photos he used the same method as I did to neatly(!) glue the Hoodloupe to the LCD shade frame. My assembly works far better than using the special $20 Hoodman rubber band to secure it to the camera. I have ordered the i-cuff to improve function & comfort.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Barker View Post
Judging by the photos he used the same method as I did to neatly(!) glue the Hoodloupe to the LCD shade frame.
Ahh. You're right! (I hadn't clicked on the images to zoom in.) I'm wondering if I might not be able to use velcro on the edge, allowing for the Hoodloupe and frame to touch, but still having the option to remove the Hoodloupe. I'll see what I can do after my frame arrives...
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #22
Regular Crew

As an added benefit you can also add the Sony PD-170 eyepiece and it makes the
hood loop that much better...

The part number is 3-087-515-01

It is also the one used on the Sony DCR-VX2100 camera

very flexable rubber and covers the entire eye area when in use...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #23
Sponsor: Westside AV

This is v1 of my hotshoe adapter for Hoodloop.

It is very stable. It comes off and on fast.

The plate that attaches to hotshoe also holds a chordless mike or light or whatever.

When I have time I will refine it but for now it works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Attaching the Hoodloupe-_mg_5444.jpg   Attaching the Hoodloupe-_mg_5440.jpg  

Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:19 AM   #24
Inner Circle

Olof, that looks a vast improvement on the $20 rubber band.

What is the rubber eye-cup?
Old June 7th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #25
Sponsor: Westside AV

The rubber eye cup is from an Pana AG-EZ1u that I have kicking around. It still works but I don't use it any more. And it is a perfect fit.

The eye cup really helps, Hoodman really should supply a better one.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 01:03 PM   #26
Wrangler

Jon where did you order the Hoodman rubber band mount? I don't see it listed on B&H.
Old June 9th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #27
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Jon where did you order the Hoodman rubber band mount? I don't see it listed on B&H.
I purchased directly from Hoodman.
Old June 10th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #28
Regular Crew

For those that do not have the hoodman loop or the " rubber band" from hoodman here
is some info that might save you some money if you are interested in the hoodman loop.

The hoodman loop is a nice addition to the camera...
The loop when you purchase it alone does not come with any way to attach it to the camera.
The " rubber band " that is offered by hoodman is actually a large " O-ring " not a rubber
band and as such is not cheap...

The issue when you connect the hoodman loop with the rubber band method is that the
camera to the loop interface is very slick, enough so that the rubber band does hold
the loop to the camera but the loop will slide around on the display and imediately you will want to find a better solution to keep it from creaping on the display...

If you still want to go the rubberband method, then I'd suggest you go to walmart and get
two of those small black bungi cords that the girls use to tie their hair back... they work
just as well as the O-ring and they are much cheaper...

If you want to fix the loop so there isn't any sliding you will need to either get the display
frame and modify it by taking the flaps off.. this takes all of one minute and then either
glue or tape the loop to the display frame... the frame attaches to the camera body
via the eyepiece... it works great and it easy to use and easy to modify.

The end of the loop is a semi hard rubber... it is not a eyepiece like on any video camera...
to make this work you will need to get a eyecup that just slips over the hoodloop end...

There are many to choose from that will work... I use the eyecup from the Sony PD-170
it covers the eye well, no light leaks and it is very soft rubber and helps with not bruising
your eye when shooting all day.... it also has the ability to fold back towards the
loop for storage...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
The end of the loop is a semi hard rubber... it is not a eyepiece like on any video camera...to make this work you will need to get a eyecup that just slips over the hoodloop end...
I just got an i-cuff (delivered just 30 minutes ago). It makes the Hoodloupe much more comfortable & is easier to keep one's eye in the 'sweet spot' of the loupe as viewing anything less than dead centre is terribly distorted.

A word on i-cuff size is in order. The old joke is that in the army there are two sizes of uniform. They are either too big & too small. It's like that with the i-cuff. There are actually three sizes i-cuff DV (Fits circumferences <5.5"), the i-cuff PRO (Fits circumference up to 9 1/2") & teh icuff HD (Fits circumference up to 10 1/2"). Knowing that the circumference of the Hoodloupe is 6" & that Wayne Avanson has the smallest version & it is a tight fit that required extra Velcro I opted for the middle size. This was a mistake as it is too loose & the elasticated cuff doesn't grip hard enough so I will have to take out my scissors, needle & cotton & perform some surgery. However it should then fit perfectly
Old June 10th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #30
Major Player

This is from Bruce Dorn's website, this is good if your not using the battery grip, but the way he mounts it I think is sturdier.

iDC Photo Store - Specialty gear for the photographer
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD