Attaching the Hoodloupe at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Attaching the Hoodloupe

I just received the Hoodloupe. I bought the rubber bands, which are okay for being able to use it out of the box, but not a good long-term solution. The hood slides around too much and doesn't stay centered on the LCD. Also, the rubber bands don't have a clear, secure place to go - especially on the left hand side of the camera.

I've seen people post about velcro and stuff in various threads, but it wasn't 100 percent clear about what to buy and what to customize. Let's gather the best practices in this thread.

Thanks in advance!
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:11 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I have the official Hoodman $20 rubber band which at least keeps the thing on the camera & off the floor but isn't great at keeping it centred over the LCD as it moves when you rest your eye against it. Incidentally this now appears to be the recommended way of attaching the $395 Z-finder.

Like several others I bought a $13.90 LCD shade off eBay took off the side wings & the clear plastic plate off the bottom & glued the Hoodloupe to the frame. The whole assembly fits very snugly & firmly onto the camera.

I am really surprised that Zacuto didn't go this route with all the R&D & testing that they did on the Z-finder. While admittedly the $13.90 LCD shade would have bumped the manufacture cost versus Velcro it's a far superior solution.

This is the LCD hood that I bought. I recommend that you buy a couple. You may not always want to use the Hoodloupe & the screen shade is well made & very effective in bright sunshine. LCD Pop-Up Screen Hood Shade Cover for CANON 5D Mark II - eBay (item 250405177379 end time May-11-09 00:15:56 PDT)
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:45 AM   #3
Major Player

I did the same as Nigel. A good strong glue to glue the Hoodloup to the shade frame then a little strip of black plastic tape around the inside where the shade and loup attach A for extra strength and B to block our any light getting in.

Then a thin strip of black sticky back velcro at the inside bottom of the shade frame to connect better at the bottom of the camera. Hooks on the shade, loops on the cam just under the lcd.

really doesn't want to move now.
Wayne Avanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 07:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I was hoping I could keep the HoodLoupe and the shade frame apart until I needed them. I didn't want to end up with a bulky combo unit in my bag and thought the Velcro route was the way to go.

I managed to attach the loops to the edge of the frame without any real problem (apart from the difficulty in removing the plastic backing tape from the 'heavy duty' Velcro stick-ons, which was a complete pain).

I thought a thin two-line set of hooks on the HoodLoupe would give enough grip. But nothing I did would make the adhesive backing on the Velcro strips hold to the thin edge of the HoodLoupe. I spoke to Velcro tech support and they said it was unlikely any similar adhesive would work - something to do with 'plasticisers' in the rubber of the HoodLoupe.

Has anyone found a workable solution for the two-part Frame and HoodLoupe combo that allows for easy attachment and separation?
Robert Esmonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:44 AM   #5
New Boot

velcro solution

This is the solution I use. I needed a way for the camera to go in and out of my bag easily. That required the Loupe to come on and off without pulling on the screen protection.

Loupe

Norman
Norman Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Norman.

You've given me some food for thought. I've already got the shade that attaches to the eyepiece/LCD covered with Velcro loops. But something like your DIY approach on the HoodLoupe would probably work, if I can't find an adhesive method.

I'm still hoping I can find some U-shaped push-on plastic clip strips that might go on the end of the HoodLoupe and also provide a surface that the Velcro hooks can adhere to. Like you, I just need enough Velcro stickiness to hold the loupe in place, but not so much that removing it becomes a problem.
Old May 23rd, 2009, 10:49 AM   #7
Sponsor: Westside AV

I am working on a bracket that clips into the hotshoe on the mkII and has a flipup hinge that is spring-loaded so it makes good contact for the hood, and stays up out of the way when flipped up.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:39 PM   #8
Major Player

Hello Robert Esmonde

We share the same city and I'd be glad to have your opinion of 5d Mk II, particularly the video facility. Direct PM or whatever suits you ... thanks.
Brendan Marnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Hello Brendan Marnell,

I'm afraid I haven't had the time to do much with the 5D MKIi yet so don't really have much to offer in the way of an opinion. For the most part I'm just soaking up the info on this board with a view to getting a working kit together. From the little I've managed to try with the camera I've been very impressed with both the video and still output. Of course, like everyone else here I'm waiting and hoping for a firmware update that offers more control, and especially 25 fps, in video mode.
Old May 26th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst View Post
I just received the Hoodloupe. I bought the rubber bands, which are okay for being able to use it out of the box, but not a good long-term solution. The hood slides around too much and doesn't stay centered on the LCD. Also, the rubber bands don't have a clear, secure place to go - especially on the left hand side of the camera.
Jon,

I previously posted a pic of my rig. I use a single rubber band which hooks below the loupe eyepiece, wraps over the top of the camera (the band on the left side goes between the mode dial and the viewfinder), on both sides of the lens, back under the camera and hooks above the loupe eyepiece. The tension is adjustable so the loupe can be centered perfectly. I doesn't move much and if it does just readjust the appropriate tension. I got these at Office Depot (SuperSize Bands with 12", 14" and 17" bands). The 12" band works perfectly. Hope this helps.
Ralph Waylonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I put the female side of velcro on the Hoodloupe. Then wrapped the outside of the hoodloupe with black plastic electricians tape. Can't hardly tell it's there. It looks like a hoodloupe with a fuzzy bottom or contact area.

I then cut a small slice of the male velcro and installed it across the bottom of the lcd cover..
I cut a smaller slice and put it on the top of the lcd.

It holds the hoodloupe on to my 5D and 98% of the time I have to pull it off. 2 times I have bumped into something with the hoodloupe and it has released.

Yesterday, I decided the velcro on the top of the lcd needed trimming. I pulled it off and trimmed it to even a narrower band. To my surprise no residue or markings were left on top of the lcd cover. This was after about 6 - 8 weeks of usage.

Anyway, I have been more than happy with my 4 dollar mounting job and it looks fine. It works even better.
Jim Froom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Major Player

Hey Nigel,

I got the Hoodloupe w/ rubber straps a while ago and couldn't use it because of it's inherent sloppiness. This looks very promising and I too am surprised Zacuto opted for the rubber band solution. So, how did you glue the loupe to the frame...Gorrila glue? Did you simply run a bead around the base of the rubber cup? And finally, is it easy enough to snap the eyepiece/frame on and off and is that the only thing holding the frame to the camera? Thanks

Jim
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #13
Inner Circle

Zacuto actually opted for Velcro but I think now recommend the rubber band.

I just used an impact adhesive & ran a bead around the bottom of the Hoodloupe. The whole assembly can be fitted & removed very easily. I have no other fixing. Wayne Avanson has created the same fitting for his Hoodloupe & has a piece of Velcro at the bottom to attach the other end of the frame to the camera body. I may try that but it is clipped pretty securely as it is as the plastic of the frame wraps around under the base of the camera a little & clips into place.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #14
Major Player

Thanks Nigel,
So basically, you took away the visor/shield, wings and screen and just left the frame?
Jim Giberti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:18 AM   #15
Regular Crew

is the hoodloupe a home made device? I'd like to make one, the Z thing is a bit pricey.
jh
John Harvey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD