Spots!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 25th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #1
Major Player

Spots!!!

Anyone have any luck cleaning the image sensor? I have babied my 5dII since I got it a few weeks ago. When I am not shooting I always keep it in my zipped bag. I change the lens out frequently, but am always careful not to let any dust get into the camera body when doing so. Despite all of my efforts, my image sensor is riddled with spots! Anybody had any luck getting rid of these eye sores?

I have attached a still image for reference. It is even worse in video and pretty much makes any video shot with the cam unusable now. I have tried compressed air with minimal results. I need these stupid spots gone. Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Spots!!!-picture-1.png  
Ryan Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:41 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Do not use compressed air!!! The propellant can cause issues. Check this thread out.. Good info and links there.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-eos...canon-5d2.html
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the thread and the info Chris! Any recommendations on a decent, all-around cleaning combo? I have attached a link to a vid as well to show just how bad it is with video.

http://www.ryan-mueller.com/videos/spots.mov

Watch the sky and my son's forehead. Tons of spots! It just blows my mind how quickly the dust builds inside the camera. Especially with how much I baby this camera. I have had my XL2s for a couple of years now and have not had one single problem with dust.I change lenses on the XL2s almost as frequently as the 5DII. I guess the larger image sensor, OK gigantic image sensor, is the culprit here? My pops has had a Canon Rebel for a few years now and does not have this bad of a problem.
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Regular Crew

This is something digital still photographers have been dealing with for a long time. Once you start to get spots, it's difficult to remedy. NEVER use a brush or compressed air or air of any sort, you'll just make it worse. There are special swabs made by Eclipse for the particular type of sensor size you have and when used with their methanol product works really well. You have to do exactly what they say, just a few drops and use the swab once.

Oh and most people are very careful with their camera bodies and then put a lens on it with a dusty back element. I clean my lenses every time and check it thoroughly before placing it on my camera body and never leave the body without a lens for more then a few seconds.
Christopher Lovenguth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I've got a compressed air setup that actually works. It's an airbrush kit I put together years ago with a propane tank for storage. I use a bicycle pump to refresh it. On the output, I have a pressure regulator and a moisture remover.

Of course, it won't do squat with anything oily like pollen, and it doesn't fit in my camera case, but it works great for cleaning lenses at home. I haven't used it in the body though. I'm planning on leaving well enough alone, until just before my next project that really matters.
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I find the built in sensor cleaning system does a good job for me. I remove the lens, hold the camera with the lens opening facing down and select the sensor cleaning/clean now option from the menu. If the spots don't go away after the first round go for a second or third. It'll usually end up clean enough.
Luis de la Cerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Suck Don't Blow!!

Why not use the vacuum line from a domestic vacuum cleaner. That's what I do. No problems. Be aware, restrain both nozzle & camera body to avoid sudden vacuum line/camera body contact.

Ron.
Ron Coker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #8
Major Player

I take mine to Canon USA in Irvine.. they'll clean it for free under warr. or $30 otherwise; it takes them about an hour to get it back in your hands.. otherwise I suggest sending it in or having an authorized dealer clean it.
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:20 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Padilla View Post
otherwise I suggest sending it in or having an authorized dealer clean it.
Why? They just use the same Eclipse sensor cleaner that you could buy yourself and do at home just as easily.

Here's my steps for getting rid of dust, in order, until it is clean:
1) turn camera off every time I change lenses, that gets rid of most dust with the auto cleaning.
2) use a blower on the sensor (not compressed air)
3) use my Lenspen brush on it.
4) do a wet sensor swab cleaning.
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #10
Major Player

I think that cleaning the sensor myself will be in my best interest. It will cost me around $70 to send the cam into Canon and I can't afford to do that monthly. Well, I can afford it, but I refuse to. I just ordered the wet wand cleaning kit from Dust Aid. Hopefully it does the trick for me.

Thank you guys again for all the help and suggestions.
Old May 25th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Mueller View Post
I think that cleaning the sensor myself will be in my best interest. It will cost me around $70 to send the cam into Canon and I can't afford to do that monthly. Well, I can afford it, but I refuse to. I just ordered the wet wand cleaning kit from Dust Aid. Hopefully it does the trick for me.

Thank you guys again for all the help and suggestions.
Yeah that's probably what I would do too if I didn't live so close to Canon.
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:40 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Loose dust can often be removed with a good blast of air. Use a Giottos Rocket Air Blower or similar & not one of those small ineffectual blowers. This should be used on the lens prior to attching it to the body so as not to introduce dust in the first place.

A Delkin SensorScope or VisibleDust SensorLoupe is very useful for allowing you to see the sensor properly.

The VisibleDust Arctic Butterfly is a brush that uses static electricity to take the remaining loose dust from the sensor.

For dust spots that won't blow or brush off then cleaning with the methanol based Eclipse cleaning fluid & a lint-free sensor swab will complete the task of cleaning. Avoid the cleaning fluids that are water based as they take an age to dry off & are prone to streaking.

I often see the PecPad swabs described as lint-free. They are very soft & gentle but they are certainly not lint-free & I would never use one on my sensor again.
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 12:50 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lovenguth View Post
Once you start to get spots, it's difficult to remedy.
There is never a point when you start to get spots. If you change your lens you will always get dust in at some stage however careful you are. It is however not difficult to remedy. Most of the posts in this thread describe simple remedies that will be 100% effective until the next time you get dust in the chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lovenguth View Post
NEVER use a brush or compressed air or air of any sort, you'll just make it worse.
This is just plain wrong. Most dust spots are loose & a bush or a blast of air will easily remove it. How can a brush or air blast possibly make it worse?
Nigel Barker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 08:17 AM   #14
Wrangler

Garlic hung around your lens barrel will also help repel dust.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD