It's official: Canon USA offers 5D2 firmware update at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon EOS Full Frame for HD
All about using the Canon 1D X, 6D, 5D Mk. IV / Mk. III / Mk. II D-SLR for 4K and HD video recording.

Old May 26th, 2009, 07:19 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

It's official: Canon USA offers 5D2 firmware update

Just rec'd via email:

Canon U.S.A., Inc., will be issuing a greatly anticipated firmware update for the EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera. This new firmware will accommodate a great number of user requests for manual exposure control in the EOS 5D Mark II video mode. Manual exposure control while shooting video on the EOS 5D Mark II is expected to make a big impact with cinematographers and videographers using the 5D Mark II for high-end HD video production. While being announced today, this firmware will not be available for download until early June 2009.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf cusa5d2fwupgrade.pdf (872.8 KB, 1060 views)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Major Player

This is, of course, great news. I just saw the announcement on DP Review and was going to post it here. You beat me to it! I haven't received an email from Canon yet, which is interesting, since I think mine was the only review on Canon's site which NEVER got posted, regardless of how I changed it! ;-)

From dpreview.com:

"Canon Enable Manual Exposure in Video on EOS 5D Mark II

LONDON, UK, 27th May 2009: Canon announced today it will release a firmware update for the EOS 5D Mark II allowing users to manually control exposure when shooting video. The new firmware will be available for download from 2 June 2009 on Canon Europe’s support web site.
Following the launch of the EOS 5D Mark II in September 2008, Canon’s Research and Development team has listened closely to customer feedback to develop additions to the camera’s movie recording functionality.

Allowing EOS 5D Mark II owners to achieve even more stunning video results with the camera, the firmware update will include the following manual controls when shooting video:

* Full aperture selection
* ISO speed: Auto, 100 – 6400 and H1
* Shutter speed: 1/30th – 1/4000th second

The EOS 5D Mark II integrates full HD movie capability into a high-end 21.1 Megapixel camera; opening a multitude of new possibilities for photojournalists and news photographers. Since its launch the camera has proved its appeal to professionals working in diverse fields, from studio and wedding to nature and travel. Now, following customer feedback, Canon has improved functionality for professional video users, further unleashing the potential of the EOS 5D Mark II for cinematographers and photographers alike."

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Wizard Status

This is great news!

We'll probably still want more features, so I'll spend next week figuring out the new firmware layout. Hopefully it won't take as long as the first time!
Tramm Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #4
Major Player

Ha! I spoke too soon. Just got the email! :-)

For sale: Bunch of old Nikon lenses. Ha!

Julian
Julian Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #5
New Boot

5D mk2 new Firmware . Manual Control . coming early June 2009

Good NEWSSSS

EOS (SLR) Camera Systems - EOS Digital SLR Cameras - EOS 35mm SLR Cameras - Lenses - Flashes - EOS 5D Mark II Firmware Upgrade - Canon USA Consumer Products

Minh Khang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Updated my first post to include the .PDF that I received.

And I can't help but wonder, how long would we have been waiting for this to happen if it weren't for Tramm Hudson. I'm willing to bet that it was his firmware work that ultimately "encouraged" Canon to stop sitting on their hands and get the ball rolling on this thing... well done, Tramm, for spurring them into action!

Old May 26th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #7
Major Player

Wow!

I am shocked and amazed.

Based on all my earlier statements, it is time for me to prepare a large meal, including a nice entree of raven (I have to eat crow) and a nice side of baseball cap ("If Canon updates firmware, I'll eat my hat").

I'm very glad to be wrong.
Daniel Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

For those who've looked over the attached .PDF, note the interesting choice of words:

"An Epic begins with M"

Hmm...

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Browning View Post
Based on all my earlier statements...
Better make that a table for two, Daniel. I'm putting on my bib and will be joining you for dinner.

Old May 26th, 2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Trustee

holy (expletive deleted) crap!

I can't (expletive deleted) believe they're really releasing a (expletive deleted) firmware update that addresses our requests! Way to go canon! Now the only thing is I have a (expletive deleted) shoot june 8th will it really be ready by then?!

(expletive deleted)!

Of course I also just purchased an (expletive deleted) zeiss nikon mount lens it's a beautiful 85mm lens and I guess it will go on ebay soon-maybe not...
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Does anyone else find it curious that this firmware release is scheduled to happen right around the time that the GH1 is being released in North America?

Perhaps Canon feeling a little competition from Matsushita?

Now we just need Nikon to make a surprise announcement involving June and the circle will be complete...
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:17 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I knew this was coming.

Rejoice!!

*cough-cough* Now we just need 24p!
Thomas Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:19 PM   #12
Major Player

Does this include manual shutter also? Or is it just saying shutter speeds go those particular ranges?
Ian G. Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM   #13
Wrangler

True no 24p is a bummer but this news is so BIG I can overlook it! WOW Looks like I'm going to invest in another 5D and more L-glass. 85 1.2, 50 1.2, 135 f2, and 70-200 2.8 here I come!!!!

Hey Chris thanks for the info!!! You have no idea how excited I am!!! I actually JUST did a shoot today (another scene from the music video I'm working on) and yet again in front of the talent/performer had to embarrassingly reach around to cover the lens to force an open aperture.
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:23 PM   #14
Major Player

Beautiful news!
Old May 26th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #15
DVCreators.Net

Yea! I'm glad I didn't invest in Nikon glass and stayed Canon. This is great news.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon EOS Full Frame for HD